406 rim dynohub wheel build lacing pattern

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
syklist

406 rim dynohub wheel build lacing pattern

Post by syklist »

I will be building up some new front wheels for our Dahon folding bikes. I have a couple of 28 spoke Shimano dynohubs on the shelf and need to order spokes and rims. The bikes will be used on gravel tracks as well as normal roads and paths, with up to 18kg over the front wheel and normally run 50mm wide Big Apple tyres. The current wheels have a radial spoke pattern but I have found it impossible to true the wheels completely. I'd also like to have a good strong front wheel on the bikes.

I have had a look on the net and it seems that the general view is to go for a 2 cross spoke pattern for a small wheel and dynohub. Is a two cross spoke pattern to be recommended a) generally and b) for the use the bikes will get?
So long and thanks for all the fish...
Brucey

Re: 406 rim dynohub wheel build lacing pattern

Post by Brucey »

Honestly, on wheels like that I don't think it makes much difference what spoke pattern you use except that

1) some hubs don't allow radial lacing

2) more crosses means a bigger angle where the spoke enters the rim and this can cause problems

If you can't true the wheels you have at present it probably means that the rims are distorted, and on a rim that size they may not come completely straight.

BTW I suppose that you already know that the hub width is an unusual one on many small-wheelers, and that it needs to match...?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I too am eying up options for dynohubs on a 406mm rim and am wondering if any dynohub is available with 24 holes - I can see that SP and Schmidt make them, but as for buying one, that seems to be a different matter!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

simonineaston wrote:I too am eying up options for dynohubs on a 406mm rim and am wondering if any dynohub is available with 24 holes - I can see that SP and Schmidt make them, but as for buying one, that seems to be a different matter!

you could always use a 36H hub and miss out every third spoke hole....?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
syklist

Post by syklist »

Brucey wrote:Honestly, on wheels like that I don't think it makes much difference what spoke pattern you use except that

1) some hubs don't allow radial lacing

2) more crosses means a bigger angle where the spoke enters the rim and this can cause problems

If you can't true the wheels you have at present it probably means that the rims are distorted, and on a rim that size they may not come completely straight.

BTW I suppose that you already know that the hub width is an unusual one on many small-wheelers, and that it needs to match...?

cheers

1) Most SON hubs don't allow radial lacing. Only the XS IIRC.
2) We built a pair of 349 rims round Nexus 8 hubs with 36 spokes. They seem to be fine, very strong and have not gone out of true in the first 1000km of touring. So I don't think that it will be a problem with 28 spokes and a 406 rim.
The old front wheels were built by someone who didn't know what he was doing. Branded Dahon rims and dynohubs, not sure what he did wrong. I think they will end up on a kiddie trailer for touring. Independent lights for the trailer and charging of batteries.

I bought the hub from Hollandbikeshop as they had hubs suitable for Dahons, 74 mm wide with the correct size quick release bosses. They are Shimano branded rather than Dahon branded and rated at 3W instead of 2.4W. The plan is to build them into SUN CR18 rims. Apparently it is easier to swap outer tubes on a 406 CR18 than it is with a 349 one :)
syklist

Post by syklist »

simonineaston wrote:I too am eying up options for dynohubs on a 406mm rim and am wondering if any dynohub is available with 24 holes - I can see that SP and Schmidt make them, but as for buying one, that seems to be a different matter!

Try contacting SON/Schmidt directly? I am sure they can put you onto someone who sells them.

Is this any good? Or a 20 hole dynohub? Or do you need a 70mm?
rjb

Post by rjb »

Recent thread here may help. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=95614
I used 3 cross because it enabled me to reuse the original spokes but in hindsight the spoke angle at the rim on the non drive side is too high so next time i would have gone to 2 cross or possibly even 1 cross on this side. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

syklist wrote:

Try contacting SON/Schmidt directly? I am sure they can put you onto someone who sells them.

Is this any good? Or a 20 hole dynohub? Or do you need a 70mm?

I think SJS are their chosen outlet in the UK - drop them a line and I'm sure they'll get one in.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Thnx
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
syklist

Post by syklist »

It has taken a while but I have now ordered the spokes from SJS. I have decided on a 2 cross pattern as the bikes will be used on gravel tracks a fair bit and with our "Brompt-o-lieb" luggage system which puts some extra weight on the front wheels. I will try and remember to post some pictures when the wheel builds (front and rear) are completed.