Powder coating near Bristol?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
belmont93

Powder coating near Bristol?

Post by belmont93 »

Can anyone suggest an industrial company near Bristol for a shot blast and colour change of a hack mtb frame only ( no forks ). I know Argos would do good job, but probably too good for what I am after at present.
Heltor Chasca

Re: Powder coating near Bristol?

Post by Heltor Chasca »

There's one between Radstock and Welton but in this 5 minutes the name eludes me. A friend had his son's MTB done there. Can I get back to you?...b
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Nailsea close enough?

http://www.abcenamelling.co.uk/
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

ABC Enamelling did a good job on my last Moulton rebuild, about 3 years ago...
see the rear and front forks in this album https://www.flickr.com/photos/simoninea ... 9413094292
I'm sure they'd be ideal for the purpose you outline. Save you having to smash the piggy bank for an Argos job, excellent though it would have been! ;-)
Last edited by simonineaston on 26 Jun 2015, 3:08pm, edited 1 time in total.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

I will also back ABC. They are no fly by night company since I had 3 frames enamelled by them in the early 1980s and I know of Bristol cyclists who continued doing that. They even did masking of head tube for different colours and panels on the seat tube (enamelling). I've not seen powder coating from them but on the basis of their enamelling I would not hesitate if I still lived that way.
breakwellmz

Post by breakwellmz »

belmont93 wrote:Can anyone suggest an industrial company near Bristol for a shot blast and colour change of a hack mtb frame only ( no forks ). I know Argos would do good job, but probably too good for what I am after at present.

I`ve used keynsham powder coating a couple of times, and would use them again.There is also one in Swineford.

http://keynsham-powder-coatings.co.uk/
goatwarden

Post by goatwarden »

http://www.realitymotorworks.co.uk/index.html

Did a good job on a set of forks for me earlier this year. Worth visiting just to see the other work there.
brizgazelle

Post by brizgazelle »

Reality Motorworks says on its website ' However, be warned, verbal abuse is also dished out. But of course.....that's free as well.' :shock:

That tells me all I need to know about that particular institution; that they would practically boast about it in their self-description defies belief.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I have noticed that certain individuals, or groups of individuals, usually of the male persuasion, think it is humorous, witty and entertaining to engage in this practice. I have never quite managed to understand the habit. I assume it's got something to do with hormones...
I've heard that some of the courser professional comedians use this as a stage gambit, which leads me to suppose that there is potential for commercial gain from the practice, in spite of your reservations, Briz. :wink:
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
goatwarden

Post by goatwarden »

brizgazelle wrote:Reality Motorworks says on its website ' However, be warned, verbal abuse is also dished out. But of course.....that's free as well.' :shock:

That tells me all I need to know about that particular institution; that they would practically boast about it in their self-description defies belief.

I found them to be pleasant and knowledgeable and they did a good job; I’m not sure what else I could have hoped for.

To dismiss them because you don’t like the words on their web site seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face. The enquiry was about places capable of carrying out powder coating, not the sensibility of the proprietors.
brizgazelle

Post by brizgazelle »

So they affect to be abusive, contra to the reality? Must be some obscure unreconstructed-70s-bloke credit points system I'm unaware of. :?