Headset bearing stuck

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mattliveseyuk

Headset bearing stuck

Post by Mattliveseyuk »

Hello everyone

This is my first post and I consider myself as a bicycle maintenance novice, so please go easy on me. I'm attempting to learn with use of YouTube and the Internet, so I apologies for any incorrect descriptions.

I have a cartridge system aheadset and I want to remove the bearings to re-grease them (I can hear a slight grinding noise). I have removed the fork but I can't seem to get the sealed bearings out. I have tried using a flat headed screw driver to prize the bearing out, with no joy. There appears to be a little circular metal ring that I think may be stopping the bearing from coming out, but I can't get the ring off either.

I have attached a picture of the bearing and ring, can anyone tell me how I can remove the bearing? It's not a urgent problem, but I am interested what method I should employ to take them off.

Many thanks

Matt
Attachments
Bearing and stem
Bearing and stem
Vorpal

Re: Headset bearing stuck

Post by Vorpal »

The easiest thing to do is to get a tool made for removing them, like the Park Tool ones. http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... et-service They can be removed with punches and screw drivers and things, but if you have to use much force, you may do some damage.

I also often find Sheldon Brown useful when learning how to do something new on my bike.... http://sheldonbrown.com/brandt/threadless-headset.html

good luck!
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I would suggest that you remove the bearing if you are going to replace it but otherwise you may as well maintain it in situ (if it doesn't come out easily).

If you remove the skinny ring in the groove (try picking the end out using a pin or a jeweller's screwdriver) I think you will be able to access the ball bearings to clean them etc.

If you can't get access this way, you may be able to add lube/flush bearings from just above.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mattliveseyuk

Post by Mattliveseyuk »

Thanks for the links Vorpal. I have greaesed and reassembled the headset without removing the bearings. Now I know if I remove that skinny ring, I can get the bearings out, and that's what I wanted to know - thanks Brucey.

Matt
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Brucey helps lots of us :D
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
beardy

Post by beardy »

Now I know if I remove that skinny ring, I can get the bearings out, and that's what I wanted to know -

I can not work out whether that split ring is holding the whole bearing in or just the side seal for the bearing cartridge. I took what Brucey was saying as being the latter and removing it will not help you remove the bearings for cleaning so much as allow you to access and clean them in place.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

It looks to me like one of the 'halfway cartridge' bearing headsets, where the bearings look like they're sealed cartridge units but they're not. If that's the case once the circular clip comes off, the conical race will lift out and you'll be left with loose ball bearings in the cup.
Brian73

Post by Brian73 »

I had one of these on a Raleigh aluminium road bike. There were 36 3/32" ball bearings in each race. Remove the split ring with care, they're a bugger to pick up off the floor. :roll: