dismantling hydro calipers

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
gregoryoftours

dismantling hydro calipers

Post by gregoryoftours »

Has anyone popped the pistons out of a hydro caliper and successfully put them back in without ruining the square seals? If so how easy was it to put them back in? I'm thinking of trying it but don't want to risk it if it's really difficult to get the pistons back in with the the seals correctly in place.
Brucey

Re: dismantling hydro calipers

Post by Brucey »

varies with caliper set, skill set and history of caliper.

History of caliper? -well certain types of contamination will cause the seals to swell. Once swollen, you often can't refit the piston unless you use new seals. If the piston seems at all draggy, it might be swollen seals that are causing this.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
greyingbeard

Post by greyingbeard »

I'd have spare seals to hand or easily ordered/delivered before dismantling
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

Thanks for your replies, It seems at the moment that the problem has sorted itself out without the need for popping the pistons out. It took a good few attempts at cleaning the offending piston for it to behave but is doing so now, so it was probably a bit of dirt preventing the piston from retracting rather than a problem with the seal itself. I thought I had a leak too as had to ditch the pads due to lost power and squeal, but maybe I contaminated them somehow myself.