FollowMe attachment rusting

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
ken1414

FollowMe attachment rusting

Post by ken1414 »

I bought a FollowMe tandem attachment in July 2013, mainly based on the CTC review.

The product is great, much better then other systems as bike is very solid and gives my child confidence as a result.

However after less then two years it is an awful rusting state - see photos : https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=CC48EFC7A5F0E81A!2623&authkey=!ACRjZ6D8k--PhUg&ithint=folder%2cJPG

Interested in any other members views on this product as I wouldn't expect it to rust so soon. It seemed to be well made but obviously not protected against rust.

I keep this on my bike which is stored in a dry garage. Bike is only used to pick up child from school and other local trips, never in the rain. There is no rust on the bike just the follow me attachment.

Manufacturer won't respond to emails so I am left wondering what to do with it. Is it safe? Do I buy another so wife can pull youngest or does anyone know of an alternative product?

What can I do to remove rust and prevent it getting worse? Could I paint it with something like hammerite metal paint after rubbing down? Will the paint stay on the chromed sections?

Thanks for any assistance.
martinn

Re: FollowMe attachment rusting

Post by martinn »

Hi Ken,

I have got a follow-me they are great. It has a little rust on it but not too bad, certainly just superficial. It has been used in the rain a number of times and taken camping, its also about two years old.
I am not too bothered about the rust on mine. I cant see your images (currently at work and might be a fire wall issue), but will have a look at home later

Martin