Walking stick holder

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mick Metcalfe

Walking stick holder

Post by Mick Metcalfe »

Its suddenly dawned on me that when im off out on my trike and a want to park up and god forbid, walk anywhere. I will have to use my walking stick. So how would I transport that on my ICE Adventure? Ive though of using it as a flag pole, or perhaps a higher rear light holder.

Thoughts? Have you witnessed any contraption that would help out here? Or perhaps there is an after market installment that can be sourced? Im new into cycling, or will be in 3 weeks time when my trike is built. So my resource pool is very shallow in regards to shopping for knick knacks etc.

Cheers in advance btw. :)

Mick
TonyR

Re: Walking stick holder

Post by TonyR »

PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

I was going to say that you need an ancient Terry tennis raquet clamp, but I see from Tony R that the Dutch still make them. It is the tennis season soon (saw school boys after school club in tennis whites last week) so shops should be full of these clips soon - would that be cycle shops or tennis shops though?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Mark carried his crutches for a while after breaking his hip...

Should be easy enough to put a couple of toe straps on the mesh seat...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

You can get walking stick holders which fit on to triwalkers and suchlike aids for disabled. These could easily be fitted to a trike. Try any of the sellers of these machines. Just google.
Mick Metcalfe

Post by Mick Metcalfe »

Thanks for the reply guys! Really useful.

Whilst google-fu is an awesome ability, it sadly doesnt offer much feedback from someone with experience using an item. I had googled walking stick holders, but sadly the returns were using a verticle bar, as opposed to a horizontal one, which would be on the trike (the seat back bars were where I was planning to store it tbh, as attaching a higher light to it could be a simple adjustment too). :)

@[XAP]Bob,
Did Mark experience any rattling noises while he was using the holder? Maybe 2x would useful? Or was the single grip sufficient?

Thanks again,

Mick
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I know someone who made a sheath for his cane that hangs on the back of the seat of his recumbent. He doesn't have an ICE, but I think you could do the same thing. I think he made his from a spare hi-vis, but I'm sure that an umbrella cover or the bags that you can buy for tent poles at outfitters or something like that would do the trick.

Otherwise, maybe just a couple of velcro straps? One on the frame behind the seat, and the other on the back of the seat?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Here's an idea.
I length of 40mm plastic waste pipe (available from plumbers merchants in a variety of colours and cost peanuts),ziptied to the seat tubing.The rubber foot would stop the bottom rattling and if a slot was cut into the top so the crook/handle of the walking stick was a snug fit in it,it wouldn't rattle :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

when i'm touring i take a fold up walking stick, breaks down into 3 or 4 segments and i stick this under the bungees on the rear rack atop the tent.
--
Burls Ti Tourer for tarmac
Saracen aluminium full suss for trails.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

greyingbeard

Post by greyingbeard »

I like the idea of using it as a flag pole with extra flashing lights on top.
Mick Metcalfe

Post by Mick Metcalfe »

Some awesome suggestions here tbh.

So we have a sheathed idea,
A pipe idea,
Fold up stick idea,
Velcro idea.

I thought I would find it hard pressed to find a good idea, but it appears the CTC forum members are a resourcefull little lot. Now I have too many odeas dangnabbit, hehe

From the looks of the phot, he has them inside water bottles and then tie wrapped to the bags. Cool little trick, but not sure about the long term use though tbh. Not wantong to pry, but is his injury short/long term? Having 2 sticks tomlug around cant be easy, especially peddling with 1 leg. :(
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

The injury is short-term. Steve is trying to break the Tommy Godwin's record of 75,065 miles in a year, set in 1939. Steve was making good progress until a moped hit him at the end of March and broke his ankle. He's using the trike to maintain some fitness and hopes to restart his attempt later when he is fully fit again.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Hi Mick. How about a pump holder? You know: those bolt on clips with a bit of Velcro you are meant to use to clip your pump to your bike? Surely someone must have one you could bolt to a bottle cage. I have chucked both of mine as I like my pumps in my bags.

When I cycled in Afrika I used to strap a stick (and later a club of sorts) to my bike to scare off errant dogs. I even had success with a hockey stick when I was at school.

I'm not advocating similar use with your stick.

Well actually, I am. There's something slapstick about using a walking stick as a health and safety device[emoji48]
Mick Metcalfe

Post by Mick Metcalfe »

Ah, glad he is sticking with it then, 75k seems a long way tbh. Hope he doesnt get an injury by over using his good leg! :(

Im not sure what you refer to with regards to the bike pump holder. When I was a lad it was all bmx and racers tbh. Not sure any clip for a pump would be long enough for a walking stick, as mine is about 2.5 - 3ft long. I imagine it sticking up like the ones in the photo, only a little shorter than the crutches. Im sure im wrong though, if youve used it previously to great success in the survival sense, im sure I shoukd be able to use something similar on the streets of Nottingham, hehe. :D