Where can I find a tool for this BB?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
SimonCelsa

Where can I find a tool for this BB?

Post by SimonCelsa »

Hello,

I am looking to obtain a tool for dismantling this Campag BB as pictured below:

BB.jpg

I have a tool for another Campag bottom bracket (Park Tool BBT-4) but the 6 'cut out' segments are more rounded with that one and hence it will not fit.

For information the external diameter of the lock ring is 44mm and each 'cut out' is approx 3.8mm.

I am not having much luck searching online and do not really want to start belting it with a chisel. The drive side simply has a cup with couple of flats which I think a large jawed 8"shifter will suffice.

Could anyone provide any advice on where to source a reasonably priced tool?

Thanks, Simon
RogerThat

Re: Where can I find a tool for this BB?

Post by RogerThat »

If the drive side came off okay, chances are the nds is well greased too. On occasion I've used mole grips with a bit of heavy cloth over the threads, You'll probably find its not really that tight in comparison to the drive side, should come off very easily.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

for the lockring the correct tool is campagnolo #712

for the adjusting cup the correct tool is campagnolo #712/1

for the fixed cup the correct tool is campagnolo #713

shimano, VAR and others also made tools which fit in a similar way.

[edit cheap lockring spanner (confirm size before purchase)
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/super-b-bottom-bracket-wrench-tb-bb-20-prod27333/]

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

OK, thanks for them swift replies,

I've tried the beast approach on previous BB's but have found these Campag ones rather brittle & very prone to chipping bits off so would rather try and obtain the correct tools if reasonably priced (which doubtless being Campag they aren't).

I've had this bike a couple of years but only use it on 'nice' days hence I've not yet put 1000 miles on it & have never had the BB out. I'd like to remove it for a check & maybe some waxoyl treatment. However the old expression 'if it ain't bust....' springs to mind.

I think I'll try & modify the Parktool BBT-4 with a small file first to give the teeth a squarer profile,

thanks again, all the best Simon
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

you may be able to find a sugino tool on e-bay.

I have a feeling that this one

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/park-tool-bbt-7-bottom-bracket-tool-xtr-and-dura-ace-lock-ring-prod13573/ may fit campag too, but obviously you should confirm this before purchase. If it does fit it is a top tool because it fits five out of six of the available notches.

cheers
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Yes I saw that one Brucey but there is not much info on the dimensions.

However this one should be OK, http://www.parktool.com/product/crank-and-bottom-bracket-wrench-hcw-5... diameter 46mm (pretty close) but only 3 prongs (better than one),

I'll sleep on it,

thanks, Simon
drossall

Post by drossall »

Where are you? I've got a set of Campagnolo BB and headset spanners, and so will other forum members have. Not for sale, but I have just spent a couple of weekends working on a classic bike with my son-in-law and dealing with one of these BBs, and could certainly take your BB out for you. Campagnolo tools were things of great beauty, and almost more satisfying to own than the bikes on which they were used.

What you're looking for is these tools (picture from this page):
Attachments
IMG_2654.JPG
IMG_2654.JPG (34.33 KiB) Viewed 1744 times
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Thanks for the offer Drossall but I'm a bit far away up in the Highlands.

I fully understand what you mean about quality / artisan tools....however doubtless I'll end up (through lack of patience) being a butcher and blather it with a blunt ended chisel!

All the best, Simon
RogerThat

Post by RogerThat »

Try the mole grips first. You need to be quite tight on the thread but there's normally enough protruding to get an excellent grip.
It's a bit Heath. But unless it's seriously rusted in you'll be surprised how easily it comes off.. No to chisels!!
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

FWIW if you get brutal the lockrings will usually 'bruise' but the cups will chip.

If you are handy you can grind the end of a punch so that it fits the lockring slots perfectly and is thus less likely to damage them. Similarly you can make a peg spanner for the adjusting cup; some 1/4" flat stock, a drill, and some lengths of (~3mm dia? - do check) piano wire are all you need. [Since you can have up to six pegs this way the resultant tool can be better than the campag one...]
If you have a bench vice with good jaws you can hold the fixed cup in that and swing the frame (clockwise!).

cheers
drossall

Post by drossall »

Campagnolo BBs that have been looked after and have not corroded are often not too hard to shift. I might try a single-hook lock-ring spanner. VeloSolo have various ones - I'd go for the Hozan one (which I have) first, as it has two ends of slightly differing sizes, so you get two chances at a good fit, but take your pick.

The following tools all come from SJS Cycles, though there are other suppliers:

This Shimano spanner would probably fit Campagnolo - in those days, quality six-notch lock-rings were pretty standardised. Try asking the shop before buying:

This Park Tool would probably remove your fixed cup and fit the pins on your left cup:

This adjustable Park Tool would definitely fit your left cup:

Or another adjustable pin spanner from Winstanleys (and others):

If the BB is hard to move, the sneaky trick with a bolt at the bottom of Sheldon Brown's page will work on either cup. I used it last weekend with a recalcitrant Campagnolo BB to force a spare cup in and out of the threads until the cup moved freely, as it should.

By the way, watch out - some Campagnolo BBs had alloy cups. Obviously, these are much softer than steel. This was true of the one mentioned in the last paragraph - but again, the bolt method removed the stuck left cup with no damage.
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Thanks for that comprehensive info there drossall.

It's remained bright and sunny up here for the last few days so I've been a bit loathe to try and dismantle anything, preferring to make best use of this fantastic cycling weather and save the butchering for the undoubted wintry showers which are just around the corner......the Etape Loch Ness runs on Sunday so I can't see the weather holding for that.

All the best Simon
drossall

Post by drossall »

Incidentally, I'm not sure from your question whether you are taking the BB apart for maintenance, or to fit more modern parts. If the former, whatever you do don't discard classic Campagnolo parts, as there is a market for them.