Trek issues massive quick-release skewer recall

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
tim-b

Re: Trek issues massive quick-release skewer recall

Post by tim-b »

Hi
I just replied to a similar (shorter) thread upstream, any chance of merging them????
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
pete75

Post by pete75 »

One simple solution, as we demonstrate in our video, is to simply clamp up your QR from the opposite side of your wheel, away from the disc and calliper.
From http://grit.cx/video/2015/04/qr-recall- ... e-industry
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
oldstrath

Re: QR Recall Affects Entire Bike Industry

Post by oldstrath »

Philip Benstead wrote:What do we think of this?

http://grit.cx/video/2015/04/qr-recall- ... e-industry

Mostly that anyone who can't ensure this doesn't cause a problem on their bike probaly needs help with most activities of daily living.
pwa

Re: QR Recall Affects Entire Bike Industry

Post by pwa »

They will be issuing user instructions with toilet paper next!
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Si wrote:Are they numpties though? Given that a large percentage of the adult population have probably never used a QR in their life, it might be considered quite reasonable not to understand how to work it, especially if there are no instructions. When teaching people to ride for the first time I quite often find that intelligent, sensible people don't know how to operate a QR correctly. I think that sometimes we are in danger of assuming what is second nature to us experienced cyclists is perfectly obvious to those who are completely new to cycling.

Exactly... I wonder why some folk regard those who have different knowledge to themselves as stupid.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

I find it saddening that here and elsewhere that so many people are engaging in victim blaming. It's easy whenever there is a problem to put the blame on the people affected. The fact is that it shouldn't fail in this way and kudos to Trek for sorting it out.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pete75 wrote:
Si wrote:Are they numpties though? Given that a large percentage of the adult population have probably never used a QR in their life, it might be considered quite reasonable not to understand how to work it, especially if there are no instructions. When teaching people to ride for the first time I quite often find that intelligent, sensible people don't know how to operate a QR correctly. I think that sometimes we are in danger of assuming what is second nature to us experienced cyclists is perfectly obvious to those who are completely new to cycling.

Exactly... I wonder why some folk regard those who have different knowledge to themselves as stupid.

I must admit I tend to think people have a modicum of common sense but after witnessing someone getting their MTB out of their car and watching them trying to tighten a QR by screwing it up in the open position,my thoughts changed somewhat.
I despaired for humanity when I did a charity ride(one of a very few I ridden) and stopped to ask someone if they were having trouble,the chap in question said his front brake wasn't working.No wonder,he had his disc brake front wheel in so the rotor was on the opposite side to the caliper :shock: .
He thanked me when turned it round for him
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

I don't know who is more stupid, the folk who don't tighten skewers or Trek for acknowledging a "fault". It used to be here that if you bought a new bike it was certain that none of the screws were tight. You were expected to know that and tighten them up yourself.

FWIW I just ordered a Trek. Must be sure to check...
Have we got time for another cuppa?
pwa

Post by pwa »

Every QR I have had has come with very simple instructions on how to close it tight enough to ensure the wheel does not drop out. If you don't bother looking at the instructions and have little mechanical sense, QRs are probably not for you. Maybe Trek and other big companies need to sell bikes with old style screwed on nut fixings, with QRs as an optional extra for those who want them. But there are so many other things that a mechanically inept person could get wrong with a bike (QRs on brakes, clamps on handlebars) that there has to be a requirement for the user to take the trouble to find out how to adjust these things, or leave it to a mechanic.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Mark1978 wrote:I find it saddening that here and elsewhere that so many people are engaging in victim blaming. It's easy whenever there is a problem to put the blame on the people affected. The fact is that it shouldn't fail in this way and kudos to Trek for sorting it out.
That's a very good point. It's almost a design fault of having a disc on the same side as the lever, and I can't see any reason why they should be on the same side. It's all too easy to criticise after the event, as everything's obvious or easy when you know, but until then it's not.

A little while ago I caught up with a cyclist on a hill, and passed him. (It doesn't happen that often!) We exchanged a cheery greeting, but I had noticed his rear QR clamp was pointing downwards and I wished subsequently I had asked him to stop and check if it was OK or even possibly check if he knew how it worked.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

And how many people pull bikes out of cars with the front wheel off. It's too easy to make a simple oversight when getting stuff together. Most of us have done something and thought "oh wait". How do you know someone hasn't been fiddling with your bike in the work rack (trying to steal the front wheel). Could a pedal against a quick release flip one open in the tight public racks in town. How many of us check your skewers every single time you get on your bike. Skewers have been known to snap in use. It's a rare event, but if it's easily designed out, why not design it out.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

My earlier comments were meant in part to be a little flippant, rather than 'victim blaming'. But having said that bikes (and cycling) are inherently dangerous. Come to that, life itself is 100% dangerous.... we all die, it is just a question of how and when. Carelessness of any kind could cost you your life on a daily basis....

Mark1978 wrote:I find it saddening that here and elsewhere that so many people are engaging in victim blaming. It's easy whenever there is a problem to put the blame on the people affected. The fact is that it shouldn't fail in this way and kudos to Trek for sorting it out.

I don't think it will necessarily 'sort it out'; I think that some people are so wilfully daft they will find something else to leave undone.

The same kinds of people have avoidable accidents with loaded firearms, drive/ride in the dark with the lights off, disconnect their brakes, never pump their tyres up, play with live mains electricity, etc. I think such people are probably better off not riding bicycles at all... but if they do ride one they should either buy one that is simpler and doesn't have a QR at all, or be tested to make sure that they understand how to use it before they walk out of the shop...

In all fairness I do think the design of that particular QR is poor, and I had noticed that it was so; there is no reason for it to rotate more than 180 degrees. But the fact is that it still requires an act of almost wilful stupidity or some carelessness for it to actually cause an accident. It is far more likely that the 'design defect' in tyres (i.e. that they puncture when you run over something jaggy) or in the bicycle itself (i.e. that it falls over when you stop...) will cause a worse accident, surely...? :shock: :shock:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

I think that the mostly likely accident from misuse is winding the QR lever up tight in the open position, then during riding it loosens and rotates until it can catch in the rotor.

I have seen lots of people not being aware of how to use QR, and even after showing them how to use properly have gone back to screwing it in because it's easier and doesn't hurt the hand.
--
Burls Ti Tourer for tarmac
Saracen aluminium full suss for trails.
james01

Post by james01 »

Brucey wrote: or in the bicycle itself (i.e. that it falls over when you stop...)

I bought an American-made bike a couple of years ago. The paperwork was full of safety advice and the usual disclaimers (wear helmet, concentrate(!) etc) but it never told me to put my feet down when I stopped. Maybe I could sue? :)
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

pete75 wrote:One simple solution, as we demonstrate in our video, is to simply clamp up your QR from the opposite side of your wheel, away from the disc and calliper.

That's not actually a good solution.
A normal front disc brake will try to push the wheel out of the dropouts with a force that's not far removed from the clamping force that a QR will give. If the QR slips down a little when braking, the road will push it back again when you stop braking, and if the adjuster nut is at that end of the axle the back and forth slippage will loosen it, enough that the brake will push the wheel right out in the end and you'll crash.