Parts for ladies Peugeot bike

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Emily S

Parts for ladies Peugeot bike

Post by Emily S »

hi there
I have a lovely vintage ladies peugeot but the main part connecting the bike frame with the gears/pedals mechanism is cracked.
Can anyone please recommend any good bike shops in and around East london who would specialize in this kind of repair as I want to keep the integrity as close to the original as possible,
Thanks!
Emily S
Attachments
image of crack in part
image of crack in part
Brucey

Re: Parts for ladies Peugeot bike

Post by Brucey »

that looks like a Simplex front derailleur you have there. If you want an exact replacement then scouring e-bay is the way ahead. Check on Velobase to see which model you have.

[edit; I had a look around and I think you have a Simplex Prestige AV 223 model front mech. This is near enough the most common type of simplex front mech there ever was, made from about 1962 to about 1980. It was developed from the earlier LJ23 model, which was stronger, having an aluminium body instead of a delrin one.]

There are many other front mechs which will work OK on your bike (with no other changes). I'd suggest that if you want to use the bike regularly there are more robust derailleurs than those older simplex ones; they used a lot of plastic parts and whilst these made for lightweight derailleurs they were also not terribly robust; just the passage of time can be cruel to them.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Brucey

Re: Parts for ladies Peugeot bike

Post by Brucey »

some info you might find useful;

from the interweb... also

from http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx?ID=11e9d2dc-9394-4ea5-bb5c-952bfbb7c667&Enum=113

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~