fitting hollowtech 2 cranks

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
samsbike

fitting hollowtech 2 cranks

Post by samsbike »

I have just changed my cranks and when fitting the hollowtech 2 notice that the NDS crank sits slightly proud of the spline, about 2mm if that, is that normal? Looking on youtube it seems fine but just wanted to check.

there is no play or anything that I can tell.

thanks
RogerThat

Re: fitting hollowtech 2 cranks

Post by RogerThat »

Mines sits out about 1.5mm so I guess it's just the way that they are machined. As long as there's no play (the bolts do need a good bit of torque) there's no problem!
Erudin

Post by Erudin »

Yes that's normal with Shimano HTII, the pin on the safety tab should line up with a small hole in the axle.

Don't overtighten the end cap, just nip it up to remove play (like in this vid), if you side-load the bearings it will reduce their life.

"Preferably using a torque wrench alternatively tighten each crank bolt until 12-14nm is reached. As with all paired bolts, alternate between the two until they're tight."

http://www.cyclistno1.co.uk/features/maintenance/shimano-ultegra-hollowtech-ii-crank-service.htm
Attachments
P1030201.JPG
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

RogerThat wrote:Mines sits out about 1.5mm so I guess it's just the way that they are machined. As long as there's no play (the bolts do need a good bit of torque) there's no problem!

thanks to the both of you.

I think I have done it right, as I gently pushed the tab in with a screwdriver, I really should have checked, sigh