Tortec expedition or epic rack?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
pwa

Re: Tortec expedition or epic rack?

Post by pwa »

It may be obvious, but the additional low rails some racks have come at the expense of extra weight for no extra load carrying capacity. I have had a Tubus Cargo (about £60 from Rose, including postage) for about a decade and it is rock solid. On my touring bike I can pack the Ortlieb Rear Roller panniers to bursting point and the bike handles fine. Even better with a couple of small panniers at the front. If the lower rails of some racks are meant to improve handling they are not needed.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Whilst it is beneficial for the load to be held lower, it is not their only function. They are meant to allow the top of the rack to be used whilst also carrying panniers. Another use of some designs is to improve heel clearance by moving the load further rearwards. Neither of these tends to be a big issue with small panniers and/or a bike with proper touring geometry but very useful with big panniers or a converted mountain bike. So it is highly individual. Essential for some, unnecessary weight for others.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

For backpacking I try to get sub-6.5kg for overnighters and long weekends. For a week I am guilty of going overboard and tend to be at about 9kg. I know, I know that is being exravagent but I take the weight hit in exchange for a few luxuries for a week.

Yet to work out for cycle touring. I'm now in a more difficult situation of having a family, which means not backpacked for over 2 years and can not go light any more. Too many children's clothes, nappies, etc. to carry. Plus micro tarp and bivvy is not acceptable apparently. Grumble, grumble, grumble. :D
pwa

Post by pwa »

Using a Cargo (no lower rails) with large Ortlieb panniers does make attaching stuff to the nice, wide top a bit more fiddly, but it can be done. And heel clearance is not an issue with my size 11s on my tourer. Before the Cargo I had a Blackburn aluminium rod rack. It was okay until it broke in the Pyrennees and I had to improvise a splint from camping cutlery, string and tape. But the Cargo felt much more rigid under heavy load. The Tortec Ultralite is another rack I use, but only to carry a rack top bag. It is like a lighter version of my old ally rod Blackburn. If you think you might want to carry heavy loads from time to time go for something more heavy duty.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

tortec expedition rack has a claimed weight of 840g. If you don't need the strength or the features (which are both very good for the price) there are lighter weight racks that will do the job around the same price. Horses for courses, I guess.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Brucey wrote:

hmmm.... it shows 'out of stock' for me....

cheers

Stainless Epic back in stock at Ribble, folks... well, was when I posted this, £42.99.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... ortrack330

Also one on ebay for £35 collect only in Leeds.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tortec-epic-s ... 2ee29ab4cb

The Orange it's on reminds me that I should try to sell my older P7 frame, and the rest of the clutter, hmmm.
slowpeddler

Post by slowpeddler »

I've used the Tortec Expedition aluminium for touring for years. It stays on the bike all year round.

I'm very pleased with it. The second lower rail means my Ortlieb Backpack goes onto a flat surface across the panniers.

John
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Having had various alloy racks and moved over to stainless tubus now, I believe the experience you get from a rack is all about stiffness. A fee extra grams to eliminate sway is priceless.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Anyone other than bicycler used a stainless Epic?

How would folks compare it to offerings from Tubus (who I am a bit p'ed off with at the moment but that maybe another grumpy thread)?

My experience of Tortec so far has been positive - my Tortec Expedition is well designed and easy to take on and off bikes (it gets swapped a bit) but I don't think it is up to heavy long term expedition use.
Sweep
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Never used stainless Epic: always used Tortec Expedition or Tubus on different bikes and the Expedition has had lots of being heavily loaded up, on a regular basis, with no issues for many years.

Ribble have the Expedition in stock for only £23 - not a bad price - but just had another look and most online sellers have similar discounts.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Over a year of using my tortec expedition. Great rack design but the Ortlieb panniers I use seem to be wearing it at the contact points. Only a year of use and signs of wear. Plastic against aluminum and it seems the plastic is winning. Should have used helicopter tape!

Mine gets most usage as a commuting rack but has been loaded up on a tour as well.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I used the Expedition for about 4 years of touring before wear made replacement advisable (4 years for me = nearly 20 months on the road). No complaints, its just that alu does wear and will eventually wear through the tubular construction.

I decided to replace with the stainless steel one. My LBS ordered and as they had my bike for other work, I told them to fit it. It wouldn't!

My bike is a 26 LHT and the top adjustable struts of the rack couldn't be adjusted in a way to have it fit properly ie horizontal on the top. As I was shortly off on tour, they just refitted the Expedition and it lasted fine. On return i used a Tubus that I got cheap from Evans a few years ago.

Just a warning if ordering online.