Are rohloff spokes different from ordinary spokes

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brucey

Re: Are rohloff spokes different from ordinary spokes

Post by Brucey »

rofan wrote:it is intersting, some know it better than the producer of the Speedhub himself :?:

I'd bet money I've built more wheels than they have.... :wink: .....but what do others think? I think the Velotraum spoke's elbow is too long (by any standards) and I would expect many other experienced wheelbuilders to think likewise.

FWIW I'd take issue with the elbow length selection of most ( nearly all) factory built wheels and quite a few others besides. In conversation with a major spoke importer (into the USA) I was told that the reason the elbow lengths he sold were usually 'too long' (by both my standards and his) was because that is what the bike factories asked for; it makes it a bit faster to build wheels that way.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
gerrymcm

Post by gerrymcm »

I've built the wheel now and obviously made a mistake measuring the ERD!!!!!!! :oops:

It's my second proper full build, the first went sooooooo smoothly (I followed RM's book to the letter) that I think on his build I had a too slack/slapdash an approach combined with over confidence which has resulted in some of the threads being visible still.

I need to stress it and check it again and then try my new Park Tension meter but I reckon they're about 3/4mm too short.

I'l run it and see how I get on.

Cheers all
Gerry
FarOeuf

Post by FarOeuf »

I re-built mine yesterday. Original Sapim spokes (shop build) were snapping from day one. Rebuilt with DT Competition spokes. About 5 of the 32 were noticably tighter fitting at the elbow into the hub. A two-day mountain bike trip tomorrow, should be a good test for the wheel.
gerrymcm

Post by gerrymcm »

FarOeuf , are you tempted to give the heads a wee tap with the hammer and punch?
Your post has prompted me to look at the heads on my wheel, now it's complete.
Gerry
FarOeuf

Post by FarOeuf »

no, not really. I can see the logic of doing so, as a finishing touch, but I've never done it before so don't see the point in starting now.

cheers,
gerrymcm

Post by gerrymcm »

I've completed my build and I thought I'd put some pics up in case it helps someone else with these (DT Swiss Competition 2.0/1.8/2.0) spokes working with the rohloff hub.

Also worth mentioning again that I built this into a 29er rim but I guess a smaller rim might have resulted in the spoke clipping the edge of the flange?

This first snap show the spoke not touching the flange as there's a clear gap which is on all the outside spokes on both sides as it's symmetrical I guess.

inside spoke head and gap - Copy.jpg

The second snap shows the inside spokes heads on the outside of the flange.

Outside spoke with slight gap - Copy.jpg

I'm no expert that's for sure but I can't see how a spoke elbow longer than what's on these spokes would benefit anything?

Gerry
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

those spokes look like a pretty good fit in the hub to me, and I would not think that a longer elbow length would be of the slightest benefit.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Longer elbow = bigger gap between spoke and flange = less well supported spoke elbow = earlier fatigue (everything else being equal)
Spokes as pictured will make a dent where the elbow exits the flange....on stress-relieving, if its done properly, or on riding if it isn't.....the dented flange supports the elbow.
gerrymcm

Post by gerrymcm »

Thanks guys for the confirmation it's re-assuring that it seems normal.
Gerry