Narrow vs wide cantilevers

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
wearwell

Re: Narrow vs wide cantilevers

Post by wearwell »

CJ wrote:.....
The problem with low-profile cantis (when it isn't sticky cables) is usually sponginess or lack of travel, so the blocks are not compressed enough to develop maximum frictional force....
If the brakes are so spongy that the lever reaches the bars and can't go any further, then yes.
The ideal is sponginess at the lever but not enough to reach the bars. A more powerful lever moves more at the operator's end (brake lever) and is relatively "spongy", and less at the operating end (the brake shoe). Sponginess is good! (within reason).
If it's stiff (short movement) at the lever end, it'll be spongy at the brake end, resulting in weaker braking.
Last edited by wearwell on 25 Apr 2015, 1:27am, edited 2 times in total.
wearwell

Re: Narrow vs wide cantilevers

Post by wearwell »

bgnukem wrote:I've had this very issue with my old Dawes (galaxy frame), replacing the original mid-90s Deore LX low-pro cantis with Avid Shorty hi-pro cantis to try to get more power out of the rear brakes, which have always been dreadful........
Mine are 2003 Deore and easy to set with low straddle wire (i.e. set the unthreaded brake shoes as far out from the canti as possible) resulting in spongy feeling but powerful brakes. Highly necessary if you are going down a steep hill fully loaded with 4 paniers!