How to store tools?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Samuel D

How to store tools?

Post by Samuel D »

Hello, all.

I have a small but growing collection of bicycle tools. Rather than buying a large toolkit of dubious quality, I’m adding bits and pieces as I need them for a job. This ensures I end up with only the tools I actually need. It also means I have a chance to buy high-quality ones that will last.

The problem is storing them. I live in a small Parisian flat and store my tools in a cave (cellar). They’re currently in a shoebox and another, slightly larger, cardboard box.

It’s not a very dignified home for my Wera hex keys, Bahco spanners, VAR crank extractor, Park chain tool, and assorted other gems. And periodically I have to replace the boxes, usually after the bottom rips out of one while I’m moving it, dumping my nice tools in the dust. It’s not ideal.

Any suggestions? I looked at some plastic toolboxes in a shop recently, but they were pretty horrid (tacky, flimsy, and reeked of polypropylene when opened). A metal toolbox was about €70, which I thought too expensive. Wood seems like an ideal material, but I couldn’t find a wooden toolbox for sale (maybe there’s a reason for that).

How do you store your tools? And do you clean and protect them in any specific way? A wipe with WD-40 and Bob’s your uncle?

Thanks!
foxyrider

Re: How to store tools?

Post by foxyrider »

A good solid tool box unless you have the space for a full on workshop shadow board! clean excess grease and dirt off and they'll be fine
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

I use a toolbox similar to this one:
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/prod ... r-tool-box (£24)
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

2 heavy duty Sainsburys bags and a small cheap box for sockets and hex keys
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

I use a tool bag, something like this one -
http://www.screwfix.com/p/stanley-fatma ... -bag/76628. Easier to carry than a toolbox and less fragile than plastic ones.
Most tool bags have a large rectangular rigid base so you open them up and it basically works as a soft sided box when you're not carrying it.
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

I've got a cheap plastic tool tray which I bought at least 20 years ago.

Here is one which I googled, and came up on a horse website of all places.

http://shop.horserequisites.co.uk/epage ... cts/G00029
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

if you want a decent toolbox for pennies, go to a flea market or car boot sale and buy an old metal one. If it is a bit rusty, all the better, it'll be cheaper and you will be painting it anyway. The cantilever kind with trays that fold out is a good sort but only if the mechanism is OK or can be easily repaired. A word of warning; if you get enough tools you won't want to move them far if they are in one container of any kind; keeping the routine tools in a smaller box/bag will serve you well in this event.

For static use, a very good purchase can be a set of six or eight metal drawers (of the kind that some offices used to have) where each drawer is large enough for about 200 sheets of A4 paper. Most bike tools fit well into such drawers, especially if they are made to accommodate the older UK 'foolscap' size because then the drawers are each longer.

If you cut down smaller cardboard or plastic boxes (fruit juice carton bottoms work well) and stick them down with blu-tac you can turn one or more drawers over to smaller subdivisions for storing smaller tools, and the inevitable collection of nuts, bolts, screws and washers that you will acquire.

Tools that are used regularly won't rust but tools that are not used regularly will rust if they are stored in any unheated area. This can be mitigated by cleaning and spraying with a water displacing spray but this kind of protection is rather temporary in any conditions where regular condensation occurs.

If you have a toolkit that is complete and never going to expand in size, you can make a wooden box for it where each tool has its place; a good model for this is the classic Campagnolo toolkit.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
borderghost

Post by borderghost »

I got 2 of these mechanics tool boxes when they were on offer, bargain @ £14.99 each with 150 tools, http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/150-pie ... se-1629232
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

If it really is so damp that a cardboard shoe box disintigrates regularly (and tools warm from use upstairs and then stored in a cold cave will sweat!) I'd say stay with sacrificial cardboard but I'd still be wrapping stuff in engineers tool paper.... If box is failing from being inadequate for the load then use any toolbox but still use tool paper (or silica gel)
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

Lots of good ideas, thanks.

The cellar is unheated but surprisingly dry. In truth I haven’t gone through many cardboard boxes, but today the shoebox tore, prompting this thread. It’s a hassle to move tools from place to place in a flimsy box with no handles, and I’m always moving them around, because even the smallest job must be done upstairs (outside) where there is enough light to see.

Would a plumbers-style leather bag be any good? Something like this one, for example (but cheaper).

That Campagnolo toolkit is an extraordinarily beautiful thing, but one in good condition is worth more than my car. (I realise you weren’t suggesting I buy one, Brucey.) I see even the box is well made (finger-jointed!). I wish Campagnolo still made things like this, though I realise they do still make many nice things.

Leaning towards a good, second-hand, metal box with fold-out trays at the moment.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Toolboxes: There are a wide range of sizes and qualities available from retail outlets. When I lived in France I purchased decent tool boxes in Leroy Merlin and Bricomarche (surprisingly had a decent range at my local one!). Better quality cost more (sorry but that's life). But if you find somewhere with a range then you can chose your quality/price balance. Builders Merchants (like Point P) might sell some but have limited (if any) choice. Of course a lot depends on the store (and I left France several years ago).

Ian
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

It was in a Leroy Merlin that I saw the plastic toolboxes I didn’t like. They were unbranded, Dexter, and Stanley in order of increasing price. The smell when I opened them (all brands) was unbelievable. Is it some kind of outgassing from the polypropylene? Presumably this passes, but it really turned me off. It stuck in my nose for the next half hour!

The plastic boxes were also flimsy – not the boxes themselves but their hinges and catches – and the interiors were black or dark navy, which I thought would make it hard to find tools.

I also looked at two traditional metal toolboxes, both red, with folding trays. An unbranded one around €14 was terribly constructed and didn’t look like it would last a week. The other, by Facom, was a bit larger than necessary and nearly €70 but otherwise attractive.

I may also check Bricomarché and Point.P – thanks for the suggestions.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

this might be just the job for you?

Facom cantilever toolbox

[edit above link is to one on French e-bay]

Facom stuff is usually pretty good quality IMHO.

cheers
Last edited by Brucey on 14 Apr 2015, 12:23am, edited 1 time in total.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Samuel D wrote:..The other, by Facom, was a bit larger than necessary and nearly €70 but otherwise attractive.

I may also check Bricomarché and Point.P – thanks for the suggestions.

Facom ones are good (I got one); BT.11A in their catalogue on page 3 http://www.facom.fr/partage/f13/PDF/fr/F13-03-boites_a_outils_valises_coffres.zip. Excellent. Easy to get at loads of tools (as there are trays as you open it) with a decent larger space at the bottom. Metal (so quite heavy) but tough (and wont smell). But I suspect expensive. But it will last.

I would not bother about visiting Point P as they stock consumables more than tools. They have a few builders tools but it's not really their area and the range was always useless (my local ones back then anyway). I always found Bricomarche horrible, but they did have some decent metal Stanley toolboxes (several years ago - so things might have changed).

Ian
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

Mine are on my kitchen wall. Various wall mounted toolboards out there, or make one yourself.
I should coco.