How to store tools?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Samuel D

Re: How to store tools?

Post by Samuel D »

If I were a carpenter I would make many things. My grandfather was a fine cabinetmaker. Sadly he died before I was born.
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

I like to wrap up the threads I start if there is anything to wrap up. In this case I snagged a Facom BT.11A from eBay for €19.50 (with local pickup). The toolbox is in good shape – just a bit of surface rust and flaking paint here and there, as if it had been stored for a few years but seldom used – so I’m happy.

Tonight I transferred most of my tools into it:

A definite improvement over cardboard boxes! It could hold at least twice my current kit without feeling cramped.

I feel like I’m finally starting to get my ‘cycling life’ tidied up. Quick, someone hand me a bike to mend …
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

nice job, looks like you will soon fill it up!

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Keezx

Post by Keezx »

Samuel D wrote:I like to wrap up the threads I start if there is anything to wrap up. In this case I snagged a Facom BT.11A from eBay for €19.50 (with local pickup). The toolbox is in good shape – just a bit of surface rust and flaking paint here and there, as if it had been stored for a few years but seldom used – so I’m happy.

CUT

I see one item that doesn't belong there.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Keezx wrote:
Samuel D wrote:I like to wrap up the threads I start if there is anything to wrap up. In this case I snagged a Facom BT.11A from eBay for €19.50 (with local pickup). The toolbox is in good shape – just a bit of surface rust and flaking paint here and there, as if it had been stored for a few years but seldom used – so I’m happy.

CUT

I see one item that doesn't belong there.

I count three
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

2 adjustable spanners and the WD40?
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

If I’d realised the contents would be scrutinised so severely I would have made sure to include my fanciest bits in the photo – for example, my snazzy chain whip without a chain!

But I suppose you’re complaining about the breaker bar, the general-purpose grease, or (jokingly) the WD-40?
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

wirral_cyclist wrote:2 adjustable spanners

Those too! (Hangs head in shame.)

By the way, photos of toolboxes welcome!
Keezx

Post by Keezx »

I won't post photo's of my workshop, some people would laug till death.....
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

If you can call it a workshop you’re ahead of me!

But I’m disappointed no-one is interested in my chainless chain whip. Maybe these are more common than I thought.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I'm not sure what you mean by a chainless chain whip (it is broken? Yes, that is normal- I got so cheesed off I made my own...) but IMHO there is absolutely no shame in owning and using adjustable spanners, WD40 etc. Every tool has its place and you just have to know what to do with them... The results of your endeavours with tools are what is important and they can vary enormously with the user; the tools themselves are very often the lesser part of the matter.

I've seen people fix bikes (rather well) using pieces of bent metal and rocks... and I've seen people with shiny toolkits wreck their bikes because they didn't know what they were doing...

cheers
Paulatic

How to store tools?

Post by Paulatic »

I have at least two adjustables always keep a metric as well as AF. [emoji3]
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

I agree with you, Brucey. I am no expert mechanic but I do have a feel for mechanical things, and that at least informs me when I shouldn’t attempt something myself. The rest of the time I think I do okay, though I’m not fast.

Becoming a genuinely skilled bicycle mechanic appeals to me, but I wouldn’t know how to go about it. Perhaps there are courses somewhere? I don’t suppose employment prospects are great these days (if they ever were).

Anyway, about that chainless chain whip: I guess it’s not actually a chain whip then, but it does the job of one.

The shown side works with cassettes with 12T or 13T small sprockets (as marked) while the other side works with 11T and 14T. I got it in Decathlon of all places. It’s easier to keep clean than a normal chain whip. Interesting design, I thought.
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

Samuel D wrote:I agree with you, Brucey. I am no expert mechanic but I do have a feel for mechanical things, and that at least informs me when I shouldn’t attempt something myself. The rest of the time I think I do okay, though I’m not fast.

Becoming a genuinely skilled bicycle mechanic appeals to me, but I wouldn’t know how to go about it. Perhaps there are courses somewhere? I don’t suppose employment prospects are great these days (if they ever were).

Anyway, about that chainless chain whip: I guess it’s not actually a chain whip then, but it does the job of one.

The shown side works with cassettes with 12T or 13T small sprockets (as marked) while the other side works with 11T and 14T. I got it in Decathlon of all places. It’s easier to keep clean than a normal chain whip. Interesting design, I thought.

Want one!
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

it looks a nice tool, that; I wonder how much torque you can use with it before it is in danger of damaging the sprocket? I guess they usually only need a lot of torque during removal; not such a worry if the sprocket is only going in the bin anyway, I suppose...

cheers