New to cycling. Help with gear/trike required.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
[XAP]Bob

Re: New to cycling. Help with gear/trike required.

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Dynamo is fabulous - if you can get a hub specced OEM than do.

I use a single B&M Lyt on my sprint, it gives FAR more light than I need, and the refelctor get's backlit when the light is on, so it is large and visible for motorists et al.

At the rear I have a Toplight, I'd like to move to a linetec for the same benefit as the Lyt has from the front.

Those are both permanently on...

I also have a rectifier and cache battery which gives me a USB port for whatever I need...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Adventure or Sprint? Have a Sprint 26 and ICE 'T' (nominally the missus') in the garage. Sprint is more aerodynamic (lower, slightly narrower) and corners better (lower C of G), hence noticeably faster, but more challenging to sit it / get out of. With 559 rear wheel and mesh seat I don't 'need' suspension, but appreciate it with 406 rear wheel. (This has other implications with rear racks, as a custom ICE design is needed with suspension, and some additional flexibility on hills.) Also the 559 rear / 406 front combo just looks 'right' IMO :roll: Being higher on the T means you are a bit further up out of the spray on wet roads, and can see a bit better at night (especially with oncoming traffic), but it's marginal. FWIW I regard the T as a 'gentleman's touring trike' whereas the Sprint 26 is more of an all-rounder.

Shoes? SPD (or similar, preferably recessed cleat) is a must: try Shimano (or similar) sandals - work brilliantly on a 'bent: from thick wooly socks in winter to no-socks in summer - when it rains the water just drains out, there's no risk of stubbing your toes and the sole does the wind deflection bit 8)

Lights? Wot Cunobelin said - although just a single german spec (sharp top cut off beam) front works for me - Trelock are probably the least expensive (Roseversand or Bike24) with a strong flasher at the back- (I have one of these rack mounted on the Sprint, or a Smart 0.5W on the neck rest (if you have one - I've never found them helpful, except for mounting rear lights...) Trike dynamo set-ups look expensive, and you have to use disc brakes - standard drums are much preferable IMO.

Computer? Basic Sigma 506 (or 509) works: you can get a 1.2m long cable if you look around.

Rohloff? How long have you got? Probably has enough just gear range for touring (depends if you expect to pedal downhill, and how big a load you want to drag along - but others here have vastly more experience. Personally I find the gear changing to be barely OK, in comparison with a 3 x 9 using bar end shifters (twisters 'work', but bar ends much better, IME, especially for the front mech). Definitely try before you buy :wink:

Helmet? Never have understood ICE's PoV, but they do sell trikes in the USA, which probably explains their recommendation :roll: Personal decision - baseball cap or beanie works for me :shock:

HTH
"42"
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Luggage? Don't forget the Radical(and Ortlieb) seat hung approach. Radical bags are very light, but not waterproof, rather expensive, but well made and fit well.
"42"
Mick Metcalfe

Post by Mick Metcalfe »

Thanks again guys!

Not sure on some of your lingo tbh, 559/406 etc doesnt mean a lot to a complete novice like me im affraid. :P

Is the ICE T the adventure model? Im still undecided with regards to the back wheel tbh. 26 sounds faster, but the 20" rear wheel allows for a bag on top of the panniers, which im thinking could be handy, also I hear they are better at climbing hills.

I went into my local bike shop "The Bike Shop" and the guys in there didnt offer any advice with regard to most information I was asking tbh.... kept on saying that they dont have any experience etc etc, even when I asked about the products they had on sale their faces looked blank. Guess I shall not be going there again, lol.

Suspension is going to be a MUST as itll reduce vibration through my back, I know it saps a bit of leg effort, but its just something ill have to live with tbh. Im not going to be shy with spending money, I just need everything to be right. If it makes sense to get a Rholoff now instead of getting one later and then having to get a new wheel too, I think itl, be for the best. Im not sure how much bike shops charge for building a wheel tbh, if its peanuts to build, then I may reconsider. :)

I think waterproof gear is a must for bags. As ex forces, I have lived in very wet gear for weeks and its never a nice experience! I like to look after my kit first then me second. As the saying goes, look after your kit and your kit will look after you! ;)
mjr

Post by mjr »

Mick Metcalfe wrote:Not sure on some of your lingo tbh, 559/406 etc doesnt mean a lot to a complete novice like me im affraid. :P

They're wheel diameters in ISO millimeters, which is the least prone to confusion (26" can mean anything from 559mm to 597mm IIRC). http://www.ctc.org.uk/cyclists-library/ ... tyre-sizes
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Mick Metcalfe wrote:Thanks, one question I hadnt relly asked was, is the Rohloff really worth it? I mean, you can only equip it on the ICE website if you have a single ring on the front. This leaves only 14 gears. I know there are some gears duplicated (from what I have read, due to chain extremes), so would you loose out on higher or lower gears? It can be quite hilly near me and with little experience it could be a costly mistake. I read the book by Mark Beaumont where he cycled around the wprld using this, so im guessing it should be ok, but im wondering if the gears are pretty good and just spread out better, so less middle gears fo flat riding?

I guess I dont want to get trapped into just clicking the expensive option thinking its better. Same sort of question about the dynamo too I guess. Does the dynamo have some sort of plug on the end to connect lights? Or would it be a needless expense, in your opinion?

Cheers. :)

The advantage of internal hub gears is that they can change when stationary. There are also better steps.

I have two Rohloff equipped Thorn tourers, a Birdy Folder with Rohloff, and also Rohloff on the Gekko, Catrike and Kettwiesel trikes

Personally would not be without.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Cunobelin wrote:The advantage of internal hub gears is that they can change when stationary. There are also better steps.

And, in case I came over too negative re Rohloff, the gear change is always positive IME, ie no skipping, false neutrals etc., primarily (?) due to the indexing being in the hub itself (I think only the Rohloff is like this), rather than in the shifter lever or twistgrip. Which is probably a higher priority than a mega slick shift (when adjusted correctly :wink: ) in the long run!

Re: ICE touring trikes, the 'T' (with three 406 wheels and rear suspension) is the predecessor to the Adventure (version with three 406 wheels and rear suspension), which has a totally different rear swing arm arrangement and (much better) folding mechanism.

Which reminds me, don't forget to buy the ICE mudguards unless you only plan to tour in deserts!!!
Attachments
Ttree.jpg
Ttree.jpg (32.81 KiB) Viewed 991 times
T_side.jpg
"42"
Mick Metcalfe

Post by Mick Metcalfe »

At this rate, ill think ill need one of each trike in order to be satisfied tbh, hehe. I really like the fact that some people have more than one trike tbh, it shows how enjoyable they can be. Would love to just pack upadnd bugger off in a random direction. :)

I agree that mudguards are a must! I also hear a lot of people have big issues with ICE mudguards. The rattle as the rivets wear out. I saw Helen had advice to bolt them into place. Muay be a good idea as soon as I get them I think. Would reduce the need to glue them aswell as bolt them then.

Starting to get really excited by it all now tbh. I love the Velomobiles also, but couldnt find a store that sells them. Realistically, I dont think it would be suitable for me to try and get in one tbh. If I cant get on a normal bike, I dont fancy my chances getting in a Velo. :P Still they look awesome!
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

My only issue with the front guards has been the flaps failing. TBH I haven't replaced them on the front, although the rear has a longer replacement...

The rear guards have had a tendency to destroy themselves on my trike :(

If you're considering a rolhoff then the actual build cost will be relatively low - the money you are "wasting" is the cost of the "normal" wheel, not the build cost of the hub.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

[XAP]Bob wrote:My only issue with the front guards has been the flaps failing. TBH I haven't replaced them on the front, although the rear has a longer replacement...

Posh alternative is the Brooks

More realistic and practical is a large milk carton or roofing felt
Mick Metcalfe

Post by Mick Metcalfe »

What I meant to say was that, I will need to build the wheel around the new hub. Or at least thats how I see it. Unless you can get them prebuilt ofc, which would be handy I guess. :)
Mick Metcalfe

Post by Mick Metcalfe »

Well after a long time of waiting, I can now say that im excited with the realisation that an ICE Trike will be mine! Being ex forces and having been injured whilst serving, its been a very tough ride the last few years tbh. Hopefully the trike suspension will absorb whatever the future is going to throw at me now as ive now been able to gain financial support via The Royal British Legion, which will soften the blow considerably and allow me to have a better quality of life from what I am living with now.

Not only that, but having spoken to ICE trikes I have to say they are a really nice bunch, im sure if customer services remain the same, I can buy with the added confidence of know their support will be there too. :) having searched around the net, with a lot of help that ive had in this thread, ive hewrd nothing but good reports from happy customers.

Below is the load out of my future mule! I will hopefull be sorting out further luggage/shoes/accessories after sourcing a shop to get this all from.

Might even be able to make use of this early summer perhaps!!!

Mick

Screenshot_2015-04-20-13-46-59.png

Screenshot_2015-04-20-13-46-51.png
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Their customer services are virtually faultless. They'll look after you well.
Vladimir

Post by Vladimir »

mjr wrote:I found the internal batteries in solar chargers die after a few years and they don't hold much charge. I just switch the GPS off when I get the 9% low battery alert - then my phone will last about another day on standby and long enough to make an emergency call. When I'm away from the mains for longer times, I carry a high-capacity mains-charged battery pack, which will recharge the phone fully about 3 times. A cheaper emergency-only option would be one of those AA-powered chargers like http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/universal-bat ... rger-a74hr

good to know that the solar chargers can be a bit pants.
For a sure-fire backup for an emergency call I would say another good idea is to get a nokia 3310 or modern equivalent (something that only makes calls and texts). The charge lasts a week even if you leave the phone on...
Another idea is to get an external battery pack, such as http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultra-High-Capa ... B00M1J93TC
I've out an Anker extended battery pack on my phone, it's essentially 3 times the battery, and it makes your phone very bulky. My S3 is now 0.7 inches thick. I happen to like that, YMMV, BUT I can get away with only charging once every 3 days. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker%C2%AE-720 ... s3+battery

Just some food for thought.

I'm interested why you can't balance - what's happened to your back? But that is a private question...
Mick Metcalfe

Post by Mick Metcalfe »

Thanks for the responses, all very good ideas! :D

My balance issue is either my tablets make me a bit light headed. I also have chroic back pain that can flare up even worse, due to an L5/S1 prolapse. Should it decide it wants to surprise me and cause me a massive spike in pain, itll reduce the chance of further injury from loosing control and falling off a 2 wheeler. I have also tried a 2 wheel recumbant for a little spin. Once you get going its ok, but slow speed maneuvers are a little dicey, maybe thats a confidence thing though, but the same principles apply. With having 3 wheels, if I get pain down my legs or back, I have a lot more chance of appearing to keep control and stop without causing a huge pile up, as cars crash into each other, burst into flames and kill lots of inocent women/children/nuns.

So, as you see, I like to plan for the worst case scenario, hehe. :lol:

It makes sense in my little world. :)

Mick