New to cycling. Help with gear/trike required.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mick Metcalfe

New to cycling. Help with gear/trike required.

Post by Mick Metcalfe »

Hi all,

Im going to be getting an ICE Trike Adventure soon and was wondering if anyone could help me choose some gear. As an ex runner, I know all gear can be considered a personal choice and what might work for some, may not work for others. I do however, believe that I can gleen some vital knowledge via the cycling community to elevate silly pitfalls in my choices of gear.

Im thinking that im going to be in the minority here, as ill be getting a trike instead of a normal 2 wheel bike. I wish I could ride a 2 wheeler though, but unfortunately, due to health issues (buggered back) im unable to get on a bike and feel confident at balancing.

Here is the recumbant trike ill hopefully be getting shortly:
http://www.icetrikes.co/explore-our-trikes/adventure#

I see a lot of people with the ICE Sprint about on the net, but haven't seen anyone with an Adventure tbh. Is there any reason for this? Even people towing trailers on long tours around Norfolk had Sprints. My thoughts were to try for a Adventure because I wasnt going to be racing around etc. Maybe the Sprint is more versatile? Or is the riding position better?

The last time I really cycled was as a kid. I used to have a BMX which caused lots of bruises on my shins, due to pedals spinning around after slipping off them. Now the world has evolved a little more, things have got a lot more technical and I find myself pondering over all these fandangled shoes with cleets on them and pedals of really silly shapes etc.

My riding position will be a laid back with my feet out in front of me, so im guessing that some shoes may not be developed for air to travel through them at that particular angle. Whould it then be best to just try some on and pick whatever is most comfy? Any special makes that shine above others? As an ex Army PTI, I would suggest to people that a good pair of Asics running shoes would be good for people starting running and avoid makes like Nike as they are more designed for show than go etc etc. Is there that sort of brand within the cycling world? You know, expensive but offers little more than a glossy product for example or better yet, a trusted company in which is held in high regard?

The items I am after are:
Multiple sets of lights for all round visability/illumination
Shoes
Pedals
Computer
Helmet
Locks
Tools/cleaning gear etc
Trailer
Panniers/luggage
Tent (although I like I can get that sorted, but any ideas are very welcome!)

Thanks for taking your time, if you've gotten this far, haha! I would be very grateful for any unbiased advice/ideas any of you would happen to share.

I have just returned from my local Aldi with some Muck off cleaning gear, cycle socks (that feel really comfy on), motorcycle balaclava and neck warmer and a set of cycle gloves. They were really well priced too!!! I did not get the Garmin Edge 200 from Aldi, as it seems similar price from off t'internet and it allows me to keep looking around before purchasing.

Cheers. :)

Mick
mjr

Re: New to cycling. Help with gear/trike required.

Post by mjr »

If they've got any left, Lidl had very good £6 light sets - German-approved, so legal here (thanks EU!) - and a choice of panniers too (figure out what sizes you'd accept).

Pedals and shoes: Our local easy-riding club in West Norfolk has some laid-back riders and I think they say you need some sort of clips on the pedals to stop your feet falling down/off. I think most use SPDs (sometimes with one flat side on the pedals), but various makes of shoes.

Do ICE advise that you should or shouldn't wear a helmet? I understand that the effect is different for different design of recumbents: sometimes it may work as intended, but for other designs, it can increase the risk of hurting your neck if you roll the cycle over. I don't wear one riding a diamond-frame cycle, but I understand you write that you have balance problems already, so the numbers may work out differently.

Computer - I just use my phone, in a holder if I want live readings.

Locks - Norfolk Police I think still sell a gold-standard U lock for about £25. Combine that with an alarmed cable lock from the DIY shops or internet for about £12 and that's a good compromise AFAIK.

Tools/cleaning gear etc - Muc-off, some toothbrushes and bottle brushes aren't a bad start. Starter toolkits of OK (not awful, not top) quality often appear in sales, then as they wear out, you can replace the ones you actually use often with higher-quality ones.

Can't really help with trailers for trikes, sorry.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mick Metcalfe

Post by Mick Metcalfe »

Thanks for the help MrJ!

I do intend on wearing a helmet tbh. I know the liklihood of falling off is greatly reduced, but should I have a bump it could save from a nasty bruise to the noggin. :)

I went to my local Evans the other day and the shop assistant helped a lot. I think ill be going for an SPD set up, with double sided SPD clips, the smallerthe pedal the better tbh, as the liklihood of someone stealing it with cleats on is reduced but it also improves the thiefs chance of getting hurt should they nick it. Thats my logic anyway, hehe.

Never thought of an alarm tbh, will have to try and see what I can find. Is it intended for cycles? Or an alarm for a different use that is very handy for our needs? I think I will look into visiting the police station about getting it marked too, im sure there isso ething like that about.

I think a computer would be handy instead of my phone tbh. If im using it for gps, then its using the battery that I may need to rely on in an emergency. May get a solar battery charger though, as youve just prompted a thought process, thanks! :D

There is a whole world of difference in the tool market, from cheap and chearful, to damn righ insane priced stuff. May make a note of all the nuts and bolts on my trike when I get it, so to only get what I need. It'll also help me find my way around it and gain familiarity too. :)
mjr

Post by mjr »

Mick Metcalfe wrote:I do intend on wearing a helmet tbh. I know the liklihood of falling off is greatly reduced, but should I have a bump it could save from a nasty bruise to the noggin. :)

Maybe, but you're not riding a typical bike and may fall in a very different way to what they test cycle helmets for. Seriously, please ask ICE about your particular trike - they may say yes, no or up to you. I didn't find guidance on their website either way. I did find it saying that you have to take care with the neck rest position on some models if you wear a helmet, else it could cause injury in a collision.

Never thought of an alarm tbh, will have to try and see what I can find. Is it intended for cycles? Or an alarm for a different use that is very handy for our needs? I think I will look into visiting the police station about getting it marked too, im sure there isso ething like that about.

I'm not sure what they're intended for (motorcycles and scooters mainly I think) but they work fine for cycles. I've not bothered with police marking for recent bikes because now they just tell you to upload it to a private commercial database: I've noted my frame numbers and taken pictures (my bikes mostly look unusual...) and will give the details to the police if they ever get nicked.

I think a computer would be handy instead of my phone tbh. If im using it for gps, then its using the battery that I may need to rely on in an emergency. May get a solar battery charger though, as youve just prompted a thought process, thanks! :D

I found the internal batteries in solar chargers die after a few years and they don't hold much charge. I just switch the GPS off when I get the 9% low battery alert - then my phone will last about another day on standby and long enough to make an emergency call. When I'm away from the mains for longer times, I carry a high-capacity mains-charged battery pack, which will recharge the phone fully about 3 times. A cheaper emergency-only option would be one of those AA-powered chargers like http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/universal-bat ... rger-a74hr
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
markfh

Post by markfh »

One thing to bear in mind when looking at lights is that most lights are designed to be mounted on the handle bars which can be turned into a corner, something not normally possible on a recumbent trike so you may need to look for a light with a wider than average horizontal beam spread. If you can't find any guidance here look for user "Auntie Helen" on [url]yacf.co.uk[/url] and also her blog which gives some of her experiences of lights on her trike and a recent upgrade to her lights http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk/penelope-gets-a-makeover/. She also has an ICE Sprint, Alfie, http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk/alfie-the-trike/ so there may also be some help there about issues with an ICE trike.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Ice say yes, but I've never had an answer why.

I've rolled my trike and can't see how you'd end up with a noggin bruise - although bad backs are funny thing. Tiger has also rolled his (at speed)...

They are hard to roll by the way - I was avoiding an Audi that drove at me, so I wasn't planning on a corner for some while and was totally relaxed in the seat...

As for adventure/sprint, the adventure is higher - so better ground clearance (improved again if you fit a hub gear) - most things are interchangeable between them.
There is a whole 'bent forum down the page a bit ;)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

Hi Mick,
If you are Norfolk based have you visited Kevin at D-Tek in Little Thetford? he stocks a large range of new and used recumbents so you can see what suits you best. As for trailers - I currently have a Carry Freedom Y frame which I would recommend, if you get the large size that comes with 20" wheels so if your trike is 20" all round you will need fewer spares. I also used to have a Radical Designs trailer which was very nice but they are more expensive: radical also do a good line in recumbent bags. I currently use Exposure rechargeable battery lights which are expensive but have served me very well. That said Lezyne lights look good as well. I can also recommend looking at getting a front fairing - I had a Streamer on my Trice Explorer and makes a real difference in deflecting the worst of any bad weather from you.
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

markfh wrote:One thing to bear in mind when looking at lights is that most lights are designed to be mounted on the handle bars which can be turned into a corner, something not normally possible on a recumbent trike so you may need to look for a light with a wider than average horizontal beam spread. If you can't find any guidance here look for user "Auntie Helen" on [url]yacf.co.uk[/url] and also her blog which gives some of her experiences of lights on her trike and a recent upgrade to her lights http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk/penelope-gets-a-makeover/. She also has an ICE Sprint, Alfie, http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk/alfie-the-trike/ so there may also be some help there about issues with an ICE trike.

When I had a Trice Explorer I ended up mounting two front lights - one on top of each front mudguard, lit the road up nicely but did give and interesting sweep to the beams as I went round bends.
Mick Metcalfe

Post by Mick Metcalfe »

Thanks for all the additional information guys! Being new into this is a little overwhelming at times, but my Google-fu is coming along in leaps and bounds, hehe.

Im glad noone has had a serious accident though, thats nice to hear! :) maybe a more casual safety helmet could be in order then, instead of an all out full face type! :D

Regarding lights. Wow they are pricey for lights! I will have to see how flexib, e my budget is in about a weeks time. I was thinking about £50 a set and needing 2x sets max. Im mainly going to be starting off in well lit areas, so its a case of being visable than seeing a long way ahead. :) may get more adventurous with spending on lights after a month or two in the saddle, then relegate the current ones to servicable spares.

Fairing: I had saw this and thought it was handy as the screen folds forwards. I will have helping handles fitted, so they will have to be considered also when fitting the fairing.
http://www.icletta.com/shop/verkleidung ... chutz.html

Trailers:
That trailer does look good with the 20" wheels! I have just been eyeing up some child trailers, as I thought that the handles would help me unhook from the bike and transport my stuff inside it. The downside would be the drag factor I guess?

Do people buy tents to park their trikes in when touring btw? Ithought maybe a pop up tent, as the dimensions seem very favorable and only cost a little. This way, when you are camping, your shiney toy isnt on display. Packing 2x 2ppl tents shouldnt be too much should it? But then agakn its easy to pack in your minds eye when you have little experience. It tends to be that loaf of bread you walk into a supermarket for and walk ojt with a shopping trolley full. Hehe.

Cheers again, this information is proving very useful as I bounce around t'internet! :)

EDIT: Oh btw, I live in Nottingham. :)
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Mick Metcalfe wrote:Multiple sets of lights for all round visability/illumination

Multiple sets are unnecessary - There are a number of mounts that allow the front lights to be mounted on the dérailleur post, and a pair of standard lights is adequate. I use a pair of B&M Ixon IQ, one on high and one on low

Consider the ICE setup, or the Topeak Bar extender will perform the same task at half the price

On the rear a set of lights on the rack is exactlly the same as you would one a "normal bike"

If you want something higher consider a helmet light

Shoes
Pedals

The issue with trikes is that if your foot slips, then it can fold underneath and get caught by the cross frame. For this reason a secure fitting is required, so a set of clip type pedals and shoes such as SPD is desirable and of course you never need to unclip at lights etc

Computer

The difficulty of fitting a wheel sensor and the distances involved between rear wheel and mount positions tends to make wired computers difficult. Equally the distance of a rear wheel sensor can be too much for a wireless system.

For this reason GPS computers such a Garmin, Mio, Bryton etc are easier to fit.

The Garmin 200 is worth the money being charged at the moment, but do consider upgrading to one that does maps if you feel that you will use this facility in future
Helmet

Personal choice, but again no different remember it is a "neck rest" on the back of the seat and fits into the nape ofthe neck, this will not interfere with most helmets. Secondly your head is facing more upwards so a visor can help with low sun
Locks

With some thought, most locks can work with a trike. For instance a solid U lock through the rear triangle will secure the frame adequately

Tools/cleaning gear etc

Although some parts are custom to the trikes, most nuts, bolts, gears and fittings will use normal tools and equipment to maintain, clean and Service. The only exception is that the "service stands" do not work with trikes, so buy a gardener's knee pad!

Trailer

Trailers should be two wheeled, but apart from that any trailer that fts a normal bike should fit the ICE. Carry Freedom is popular I use both this and the Radical Cyclone (Mk1) which although some years old, is still doing well

ICE specifically forbid single wheel trailers due to stress on the frames

Panniers/luggage

Most panniers will fit on the ICE racks. The only issue is that their tubing is a little wider than the "rods" used by Blackburn etc so a hook that can cope with this is essential

Once you are happier then investigate sidepods and alternatives for more capacity

Tent (although I like I can get that sorted, but any ideas are very welcome!)

Too old and like my comforts - so am out of date in this area
Last edited by Cunobelin on 12 Apr 2015, 7:53pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

... and I should have said....

I have almost 30 years on recumbents including LWB, SWB, two wheelers and trikes

I am at present running Two HP Velotechnik Gekkos, a Catrike Expedition, a Hase Kettwiesel and before that rode an original Peter Ross Trice. It is this experience that leads to my comments
Mick Metcalfe

Post by Mick Metcalfe »

Thanks, one question I hadnt relly asked was, is the Rohloff really worth it? I mean, you can only equip it on the ICE website if you have a single ring on the front. This leaves only 14 gears. I know there are some gears duplicated (from what I have read, due to chain extremes), so would you loose out on higher or lower gears? It can be quite hilly near me and with little experience it could be a costly mistake. I read the book by Mark Beaumont where he cycled around the wprld using this, so im guessing it should be ok, but im wondering if the gears are pretty good and just spread out better, so less middle gears fo flat riding?

I guess I dont want to get trapped into just clicking the expensive option thinking its better. Same sort of question about the dynamo too I guess. Does the dynamo have some sort of plug on the end to connect lights? Or would it be a needless expense, in your opinion?

[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

The rolhoff can be added later - the normal gearing is wide, and the chain length negates the problem with "extreme" gear positions.

I added a cd-rk3 instead, much, much cheaper!
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

Mick Metcalfe wrote:Thanks, one question I hadnt relly asked was, is the Rohloff really worth it? I mean, you can only equip it on the ICE website if you have a single ring on the front. This leaves only 14 gears. I know there are some gears duplicated (from what I have read, due to chain extremes), so would you loose out on higher or lower gears? It can be quite hilly near me and with little experience it could be a costly mistake. I read the book by Mark Beaumont where he cycled around the wprld using this, so im guessing it should be ok, but im wondering if the gears are pretty good and just spread out better, so less middle gears fo flat riding?

I guess I dont want to get trapped into just clicking the expensive option thinking its better. Same sort of question about the dynamo too I guess. Does the dynamo have some sort of plug on the end to connect lights? Or would it be a needless expense, in your opinion?

I have not tried a Rohlhoff myself but I am a fan of hub gears. I have had the Nexus 8sp and Alfine 8sp hubs on previous bikes and currently have and Alfine 11sp and the Nuvinci N360 on two of my bikes. As has been mentioned the chain length on a 'bent means you can use double or triple chain rings with hub gears without any problems, since you will need a chain tensioner in anycase. A high budget option is to use a Schlumpf drive at the front. I would say the Alfine 8sp hub would be a good entry level one to go for if you don't want to spend big money. +1 for using some kind of clip in pedals.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Dynamos tend to have either wire clamps or an easy-to- connect plug on them, depending on type. I think they're usually worth it but it depends how much you'll have the lights on.