How important is frame size.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
TimP

Re: How important is frame size.

Post by TimP »

What matters is riding position - distance seat to hand position, seat to pedals and pedals to hands. How you get this right is purely personal preference.

I am a little over 6 feet tall. I ended up with a 24" Hobbs of Barbican frame (second hand - its older than me) because it was the right size for me. I hardly ride it as I prefer my other 2 bikes - especially the one I got on my 11th birthday - a 19.5" frame. I've changed everything on it over the years. It has a 4" handlebar stem and the longest seat post I could find and it just fits. It is comfy. It works and that is all that matters.
TimP

Post by TimP »

What matters is riding position - distance seat to hand position, seat to pedals and pedals to hands. How you get this right is purely personal preference.

I am a little over 6 feet tall. I ended up with a 24" Hobbs of Barbican frame (second hand - its older than me) because it was the right size for me. I hardly ride it as I prefer my other 2 bikes - especially the one I got on my 11th birthday - a 19.5" frame. I've changed everything on it over the years. It has a 4" handlebar stem and the longest seat post I could find and it just fits. It is comfy. It works and that is all that matters.
TimP

Post by TimP »

TimP

Post by TimP »

Freddie

Post by Freddie »

So good, you had to post it 5 times over :)
TimP wrote:It works and that is all that matters.
Not really, things are not black and white, but shades of grey. By your argument you could ride an extensively modified BMX frame (sorry 531colin!) with the same contact points and there would be no disadvantage to doing so. It is not personal preference that such a bike would handle worse than a larger one with a longer wheelbase.

There are positives and negatives to every sizing choice. In the balance, for non-competitive riding, I think frames on the larger end of a persons ridable spectrum provide more benefits than negatives for most people. My criteria for a frame will not be the same as the next persons though and people should make their choices according to what is important to them. If you don't have large feet or use toe clips, there is less necessity for a long front centre, for instance.

I have to say, it does seem a little odd to me that the most important component with respect to ride quality and stability is given such short shrift when it comes to cyclists. They can talk about the minute differences between certain derailleurs and wheels all day long, but the most important thing of all, the frame and its geometry, barely gets a mention. :roll: