Inner Tube Query

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Heltor Chasca

Inner Tube Query

Post by Heltor Chasca »

My inner tube is rated up to 2.1" which I had in my old tyres which were 2.1". Simples.

My new tyres are 2.35". I've used the same inner tubes for now and all seems ok. I'm guessing as the inner tubes have been inflated past their recommended width they will just be 'thinner'.

What are your thoughts? (I'm skint for another 2 weeks)
reohn2

Re: Inner Tube Query

Post by reohn2 »

No problem they just stretch a bit,don't worry.Obviously if it were a 3inch tyre you'd pushing the envelope but 0.25 ain't much.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

+1 ^
I've known (and did it myself) bikers to use 1.75 tubes in 2.1 and upward tyres without issue.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I wouldn't worry too much. It's as near as makes no difference.
Erudin

Post by Erudin »

I fitted a pair of the Geax Booze 26 x 2.3 tyres on my BMiX singlespeed last month and used 1.75 tubes without problems.

I also use Continental Race 28 19-25c inner tubes in the 28mm Gatorskins on my audax bike as they are cheaper than the Continental Tour 28 Slim Tube 28-37c's.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Erudin wrote:I fitted a pair of the Geax Booze 26 x 2.3 tyres on my BMiX singlespeed last month and used 1.75 tubes without problems.

I also use Continental Race 28 19-25c inner tubes in the 28mm Gatorskins on my audax bike as they are cheaper than the Continental Tour 28 Slim Tube 28-37c's.

Cheers all. Just done 12 miles and I'm still alive so I trust you!

Erudin: £3.99 for a sticky looking tyre! Good work. I've just run a set of 26x2.35 Schwalbe Big Apples on my bike for the 1st time. Very sticky on the bends and rolls REALLY fast. I've got 4 bars of wind in each balloon. I'll play about but that seems pretty good. I'll tell you all about 'which bike' it's on in another post when I've ridden it for a bit longer...b
Ray

Post by Ray »

Should be OK on an unpatched tube, but the stretching can cause patches to come unstuck. Had this happen to me some years ago when I fitted larger tyres for a short tour, but re-used the slimmer patched tube.

You'll get away with it in the short term, but I'd get hold of the right sized tubes as soon as you can.
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Until I saw your post I'd completely forgotten I'm using Michelin A2 Airstop tubes 700x 25-32 with Schwalbe Marathon Racers 622x35. I've done over 2000 miles with them so far - not all on roads. The tyres measure about 32/33mm width on an Exal LX17 rim.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.