shimano dynohub blues

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
bigbloke
Location: Upon my saddle! - in South Wales or wherever work takes me this week

shimano dynohub blues

Post by bigbloke »

Hi All,

My 4 year old Shimano Dynohub is graunching when I spin it and doesnt "freewheel" well at all (max 1.5 revs)

slackened off the cones a little , no improvement

I take it there are no user servicable bearing races in these things and a re-knit of the front wheel is inevitable ?

Regards,

the rather pigged off

BB
Brucey

Re: shimano dynohub blues

Post by Brucey »

it could be the bearings but it is just as likely to be the insides of the hub all rusty through water ingress. This will make the hub really draggy (BTDT).

You can service the bearings very easily (just like any other hub) on the left side, less easily on the right side (you need to be careful of the wire). You can usually add grease to the RH bearing without disturbing the connector (just). I'd do that first. They need servicing slightly more often than standard hubs, if anything.

You can unscrew the entire hub centre and if necessary clean the rust off it and then replace it, too. You may need to do that also.

which model hub do you have?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
bigbloke
Location: Upon my saddle! - in South Wales or wherever work takes me this week

Post by bigbloke »

Hi Folks

Thanks for the reply.

Due to an acute lack of free time ive put it in the hands of the LBS who declared the unit beyond economic repair,
sourced me another one (slightly better quality) and re-knitted the wheel.

rolls like a dream again.

regards

BB
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Glad you're back rolling again.

What did they do with the old one?
One man's uneconomical repair is another man's fettling. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
bgnukem

Post by bgnukem »

I found the first Shimano hub dynamo I bought (3N71 model) had excessively tight cones from the factory, I'm sure this contributed to its prematurely wearing out. For the 2 dynohubs I've subsequently bought I've slackened off the cones slightly to give minimal bearing clearance when the QR is tightened up.

I found it possible to grease the contact-side bearings in my 3N80 hub by removing the plastic contact housing and carefully bending the small wire attached to the contact terminal into the keyway in the axle. This allowed the cone to be unscrewed far enough to enable grease to be injected into the bearings. The non-contact side is much easier.