Mudguard dimensions

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
nez

Mudguard dimensions

Post by nez »

I have to replace the front mudguard on my Dawes Super Galaxy but of course there are different sizes. How do I take a dimension? Is it bare side to side width?
Valbrona

Re: Mudguard dimensions

Post by Valbrona »

There are two 'dimensions' when it comes to mudguards.

First, they can come in a size for 26" wheels and a size for 700c wheels.

Second is the wrap-around, or width. This is simply the measure of the absolute width of a mudguard. There are no hard and fast rules with mudguard width. Many opt for a slightly wider than needed width to give more wrap around, but as a general rule you match the width to the width of your tyres. First thing to do would be to measure the width of your existing mudguards.

Check out 'SKS Cromoplastic Mudguards' for a good range of size options.
I should coco.
RobC

Post by RobC »

Dumb question perhaps, but do 700c mudguards also fit 27" wheels? If not are there 27"-specific guards anywhere?
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

yes 700c guards will fit your 27" wheels. You should aim for @ 10mm extra to the tyre width to get the proper fit so a 35mm guard on a 35mm tyre is not ideal as its not wrapping around the tyre (if it doesn't wrap it won't keep the spray off the edge of the tyre under control) so go up to the next size, typically 45mm. So my audax bike with 25c tyres has 35mm guards fitted.

SKS/Blumells packaging has this information on it.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

I once (deliberately) fitted 700c mudguards to a bike with 26" wheels to provide more front-to-back coverage, but the fit was a little awkward. However, 700c mudguards should be a reasonable fit for 27" wheels - I wouldn't try using 26" mudguards with 27" wheels.
I should coco.