Removing rear cassette, large wrench or similar needed

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
borderghost

Removing rear cassette, large wrench or similar needed

Post by borderghost »

I have the tool to remove rear cassette's but i do not have a long enough tool to give me the force needed to remove them, in the past i had a plumbers wrench that did the job but after a few house moves i can no longer find it, does anyone know of a fairly cheap tool that will do the job, my biggest adjustable spanner is only 12 inches long so not giving me enough force, do not really want to add a metal bar over this spanner as i know i will be stressing the tool more than it should be, also do not have access to a vice, hoping there is a solution for no more than £10 pounds. Any help suggestions gladly appreciated.

Would this do the job or are these not designed for that type of use http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/24-Heavy-Duty ... 2a4c8bcf54
Last edited by borderghost on 28 Mar 2015, 7:09pm, edited 1 time in total.
mattsccm

Re: Removing rear cassette, large wrench or similar needed

Post by mattsccm »

I just use a ring spanner. The cassette tool needs something like a 24mm one which means that it is about 14" anyway. Always long enough except once. I just stood on the spanner that time.
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

I was having the same problem and removed the hub axle, as I wanted to check the bearings, once I had it was much easier to remove the cassette. The removal tool goes in much further without the axle and has much better purchase this way. It might stop you needing a longer spanner.
Thomas125

Post by Thomas125 »

If you have a socket set already with a big enough socket you could just buy a breaker bar.
Was 93.4kg now 78.3kg

Next target 74.0kg

"Life is one long bike ride" :-)
Thomas125

Post by Thomas125 »

Was 93.4kg now 78.3kg

Next target 74.0kg

Neil C

Post by Neil C »

Depends on what your cassette tool looks like. Mine has a 1/2" drive in the centre and so I use a torque wrench.
If yours is similar you could use one of these.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-AK7301 ... 5d54a83732

I wouldn't use a stilson - not enough control without three hands.
Thomas125

Post by Thomas125 »

Ive got a similar bar in 3/8 working in the car great for getting a fair bit of torque on.

Agree that the stilson is a sure fire way to remove the skin from your knuckles :shock:
Was 93.4kg now 78.3kg

Next target 74.0kg

NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
24 MM soc 1/2 " drive @ £2.53
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231365025055? ... EBIDX%3AIT

18 " flexi handle 1/2 " drive @ £ 5.99
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311159225547? ... EBIDX%3AIT
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
borderghost

Post by borderghost »

Hi, natural ankling, if i get that breaker bar will this socket set work? as thinking i may as well as have a few sockets to go with it http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12PCE-1-2-DR- ... 3f4695488a
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
You get what you pay for in tools.

Snap-on
Belzer
Elora
Draper expert
Draper
GS
Unbranded
To name a few, Snap on is over priced, Elora is as good as you can get, and the top ones here are lifetime guaranteed.

But the 24 (check size I am just quoting you) for cassette is used seldom so it does not need to be that good a quality.
If you are not in to home car diy (I guess your not) then buying good expensive tools is wasteful.
Cheap flexi handles Do Bend :!: But the quality ones at £ 20 - 30 will not with a eight foot scaffold pole.
I very much doubt you will go wrong if cassettes is all you use it on. The £5.99 flexi bar.
Unless you need the tool kit you linked I would not buy as you will not use most of it at all.

My best advise is to buy a socket when you need it and only then, that applies to spanners as well.
GS stuff that Lidl sell is very good quality I.M.O, well good enough for cycle mechanics.
Silverline (spanners) is not bad either but leave unbranded tools alone.
Icetoolz (cycle stuff) is top notch you will find on ebay for cassette cranks etc (special cycle tools)

Yes the stuff you listed will be compatible but think be for you buy.

Some of the hand tools I have bought I have owned for over 30 years and some 40 years used regularly still perform as new, there is really no substitute to quality.
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

I presume the OP wants to remove a screw-on freewheel and not a cassette. I have never come across any cassette lockring that has been particularly difficult to remove.
I should coco.
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

It's probably not recommended but for stubborn freewheels or even cassette lockrings I use a large pair of mole-grips (vice grips) squeezed firmly onto the removal tool. The removal tool and mole grip then 'as one' is inserted into the splined orifice in a 9 'o' clock position. I'd imagine you could secure it properly using a quick release skewer but I've managed without upto now.

Set up the chainwhip removal tool and try and jam it against (say) a shed door upright - something firm to resist a shock.

When all set up, take a deep breath, concentrate & strike the mole grip squarely & firmly with a decent sized hammer - obviously try & be pretty accurate here to avoid damaging stuff.

This is usually successful, I think it's the sharp strong shock that normally shifts it - I haven't managed to damage the mole grips yet despite some fairly tough removals. Hope the above makes sense,

SPA sell something called the NBT2 (next best thing 2) which retails for £17 but I don't think it's very heavy duty

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php ... 2b0s72p595

All the best, Simon (and I've still got all my fingers & knuckles)
Last edited by SimonCelsa on 29 Mar 2015, 9:38am, edited 2 times in total.
maff1977

Post by maff1977 »

I insert the handle of an adjustable spanner into a piece of scaffolding pole. works every time.
Keezx

Post by Keezx »

borderghost wrote:I have the tool to remove rear cassette's but i do not have a long enough tool to give me the force needed to remove them, in the past i had a plumbers wrench that did the job but after a few house moves i can no longer find it, does anyone know of a fairly cheap tool that will do the job, my biggest adjustable spanner is only 12 inches long so not giving me enough force,

Someting is obvious wrong, an adjustable 12 inch should be plenty long enough.
No need to crazy tigten the lockring.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
If its cassette not freewheel, I tend to do them up that tight, but use grease on the serrations.
Cassettes that have never been off are easy unless they have rusted.
If they are not tight then the cassette wears into the freehub, well it does on my stuff.
Scaffold pole, always comes in handy :wink: