Patch repair glue?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
borderghost

Patch repair glue?

Post by borderghost »

Why do you let patch repair glue almost dry before applying patch, i know that is how you are supposed to do it but It still always feels like i should be putting the patch on why the glue is still wet, that is how i was doing it as a kid and obvoiusly had a few patces fail to bond, I always thought of it like household were you would bond the items why it was freshly applied.
Brucey

Re: Patch repair glue?

Post by Brucey »

often the reason for this kind of thing is clearer if you turn the idea on its head.

In this case, imagine if you had some self-adhesive tape, and some volatile solvent that dissolves the sticky stuff on the tape. It seems reasonably clear that if you add the solvent to the tape, it won't stick so well. If you were to wait for the solvent to evaporate, the stickiness might be restored (provided it hasn't been washed away).

In essence the same is true of rubber solution, too.

The same kind of thing is true for (say) solvent-borne paint, too; the difference being that when 'fully dry' it isn't actually sticky, it is just dry.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

To repair and inner tube effectively:-
a)roughen up the area with 150 to 180 grit paper.
b)apply rubber solution thinly with the tip of the finger,let it dry,apply again,let it dry(it dries within a minute).
c)remove foil from patch,apply patch to tube and press on from middle of patch outward eliminating air pockets,remove cellophane from the patch.
d)apply a little talc to the area to stop the tube sticking to the inside of the tyre.

There's not need to wait for the glue to set/go of/dry,after applying the patch,you're good to go.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

reohn2 wrote:....remove cellophane from the patch.

This is the part I find difficult, and have once or twice just left the cellophane in situ -- probably a bad idea as it may chafe. Fortunately, these days I have very few punctures.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

LollyKat wrote:

This is the part I find difficult, and have once or twice just left the cellophane in situ -- probably a bad idea as it may chafe. Fortunately, these days I have very few punctures.

I've witnessed cellophane chaffing through a tube and causing a further puncture :? .
I find the best way to remove the cellophane is to fold it back on itself and pull it of the patch carefully,the very edge of the patch sometimes sticks to the cellophane lifts from the tube,but can easily be separated with a finger nail or knife blade :) .
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

LollyKat wrote:

I find this difficult, too. After lifting an edge with a finger nail I'm sometimes left with a small section of "crumpled" edge, which just won't feather into the surface of the tube. But, in practice, this has never caused any further problem. Mostly I lift a small amount of edge before applying the patch, so that the cellophane can be peeled away more easily.

PS
LollyKat, I think you should know that the p******* fairy can hear you, even if you talk in whispers. In my experience he/she has even known my thoughts as I I've ridden over hedge trimmings. :)
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

You remove the cellophane from the middle,just fold the patch into a cross shape and the backing will crack and allow it to be peeled outwards.
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

wirral_cyclist wrote:You remove the cellophane from the middle,just fold the patch into a cross shape and the backing will crack and allow it to be peeled outwards.

Aaah..........makes sense. Thanks. :D
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

wirral_cyclist wrote:You remove the cellophane from the middle,just fold the patch into a cross shape and the backing will crack and allow it to be peeled outwards.

So I have heard .... but it never works for me as the backing won't crack. :x
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

LollyKat wrote:

So I have heard .... but it never works for me as the backing won't crack. :x

Quite often cellophane backing will have a small cross-shaped split in the middle of the patch already. If it doesn't or if it's paper backing you can give a fairly hard fold pinch and twist to the patch to split the backing. If you've applied the cement/patch correctly it shouldn't damage the patch job.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Thanks - I've tried all that before but the next time I'll persevere a bit longer (hoping that the next time won't be anytime soon!)
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

LollyKat wrote:Thanks - I've tried all that before but the next time I'll persevere a bit longer (hoping that the next time won't be anytime soon!)

If I can't remove the backing from the middle I'd be more inclined to leave it on, less chance of something going wrong than peeling the edge of the patch up. I used to leave them on all the time and never had a problem with it, although other people have had problems with leaving it on.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

TBH I have never had problems leaving the cellophane on either. In any case, I don't have nearly so many punctures these days. I remember once discarding a tube when it had perished at the valve, and counting 13 patches on it! :lol: