How can you lose a chain?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brucey

Re: How can you lose a chain?

Post by Brucey »

when chains have failed (on my bike or other people's) typically the bad link fails on one side first and then there is about a 50:50 chance that it'll be spotted before the other side fails. Often the chain will simply make a funny noise because the failing link is distorted such that it is a little wider than normal. But if you don't notice that, the other side of the failing link will soon fail.

In the case of missing links they can

- fail by the rivet pulling out where it is meant to be captive
- fail by the rivet head coming off because the groove weakens it
- fail by being misassembled
- fail by the sideplates cracking through.
- fail by simply coming apart in the reverse of the assembly method (often when the chain is slack, eg on a bumpy road when freewheeling)

I have noted that in a well-used quicklink it is often possible to rotate the captive pins in the sideplates, where this is nothing like so easy to do with a similar new QL of the same kind. So they do wear...

Shame you can't find the broken parts....needle in a haystack job though, isn't it?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
recumbentpanda

Post by recumbentpanda »

While fitting a new Shimano HG chain, using Shimano's supplied link, I noted that the instructions said a new link should be fitted with each removal/refitting of the chain. I wonder if other brands have the same thing in the small print.
mjr

Post by mjr »

recumbentpanda wrote:While fitting a new Shimano HG chain, using Shimano's supplied link, I noted that the instructions said a new link should be fitted with each removal/refitting of the chain. I wonder if other brands have the same thing in the small print.

Was that one of those HG chains (utter junk IME) with the different coloured joining links or have Shimano finally embraced quick links?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

How many times are QLs meant to be reused? They seem to click together much more easily with reuse.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
In my little experience I didn't like the KMC over the SRAM link.

I have no problem there and don't use them except in an emergency, carry them in my kit..............SRAM that is.
I did loose a chain once for the first time, that was Bottom end KMC...........it snapped...........no link used there.

I found that because of the different width of same speed even chains that the links fit well on some makes and not on others.

All I can say is that use a new one each time you fit chain, they are cheap enough................................
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

i lost mine at the sram links doing a winter mtb night ride, a twig caught in the chain and silently and easily, my chain was ridden off until i there was no resistance and i nearly fell over from laughing and lack of speed. didn't find the links, but i always carry a few spares.
--
Burls Ti Tourer for tarmac
Saracen aluminium full suss for trails.
Keezx

Post by Keezx »

Happened to me a couple of years ago, also a KMC one.
Never found the remains of the link so I still don't know what went wrong.
Since then always SRAM links.
There is a lot of groaning and mourning about SRAM but their missing links are good.
RickH

Post by RickH »

MartinC wrote:If KMC Missing Links do wear with frequent removal then your cleaning regime is going to ensure that you're the guy who's going to find out! IIRC SRAM say that their (9+) links are use once only.

I've put an 8 speed KMC on the tandem recently. The "installation manual" says (& I've copied it carefully :D )
3. Always check Missing Link. Suggest to replace a new Missing Link when it is worn off or after locked and unlocked it for 3 times.

So I'm guessing they don't want you to break the chain more than 3 times (or on your own head be it if you do). I don't know if the narrower chains have a similar warning but the instructions don't have any indication they are specific to any particular chain.

Rick
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Heltor Chasca wrote:Hey Mick! There's me treating you as my chain mentor and this happens! Remember the whole 'yeah just take your chain off and soak shake etc' thread? Has your plan been undone?
No, not at all.

I will never know what happened. The only thing missing is the Missing Link and the chain is in perfect condition, even the holes at either end where the ML fits. I've cleaned the chain, fitted a new ML and fitted it to Bike.

I wonder that the last gear change I did at the top of the hill broke the ML and it fell off. If the ML was at the bottom run of the chain, the chain would have stayed put for a while. Where I found it, was half way down the hill, so I would have freewheeled for a while with the chain still there.

I cannot believe the the ML came apart because I'd ridden for miles - some of it up a long hill - and as you pedal, the ML tightens up - so it must have physically broken. Maybe a pin came out or snapped?
Mick F. Cornwall
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Mick F wrote: I cannot believe the the ML came apart because I'd ridden for miles - some of it up a long hill - and as you pedal, the ML tightens up - so it must have physically broken. Maybe a pin came out or snapped?

I agree that kind of thing seems most likely. On one occasion I rode up a hill (some of it out of the saddle on the big ring even) and when I got near the top a slight noise that had been there for a while had become somewhat less slight. Lo and behold there was a broken link, grimly hanging on by a single side plate.

I think that, briefly, one side plate is often strong enough in tension, but nowhere near strong enough to withstand the bending etc that happens during sustained use and/or gear changes.

But like Keezx and others, what happened will be something of a mystery unless you manage to find the broken pieces.

I take it you will now carry a spare QL in your toolkit? :wink:

cheers
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

It could have been "on a shoulder" and so held together by tension, then after a few cycles it fell off the outside when the tension was released?

That relies on you not having put it back together properly though - and I'm just not all that convinced by that...

OTOH I can't see it having snapped without you feeling something...

I always have a space QL in my toolkit, I've only ever used them on other people's chains...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

No, we'll never know what happened.
Spare ML?
What for?

I'd have needed a spare chain as well! :lol: :lol:
Nearly four miles from home and no chain.

Another thing that makes me smile, is that in those four miles home (albeit half of it was fast down hill) I saw people I know, one or two were in vans. I saw walkers, drivers, workmen, even the post man ............. lots of folk I know. We greeted each other and said Hello/waved, and not one of them - not a single one! - said anything about my walking with my bike. Not one of them stopped and asked me if they could help. :lol: :lol:

Me?
Walking with a bike?
Unheard of! :lol: :lol:

Oh, and PS:
Been out for a test ride with Chain D. Scooped up off the road, cleaned, refitted with a new ML, lubricated, and been out for a dozen miles.

Perfect.
Mick F. Cornwall
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

so not going in 2 mile loops around and around just in case? :wink:
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Mick F wrote:
Spare ML?
What for?

I'd have needed a spare chain as well! :lol: :lol:
Nearly four miles from home and no chain....

you had a chain, it was just lying back in the road. I would have walked back to get it there and then....

cheers
Kaysbloke

Post by Kaysbloke »

My chain parted company with my bike a few years ago, early season on the winter bike, just starting to climb a short steepish hill. Suddenly nothing happening in the forward motion department. Luckily, even though I climb this particular hill very slowly, I was able to unclip and get a foot down. The offending article was lying in the gutter, very sad and dirty with a completely broken link. Not worth the effort of repair, I left the poor thing where it was as I had no means of carrying it without completely fouling up my gloves and clothing. (Sorry Mick!) I freewheeled/coasted back down the hill to the main road, only (!) 3 miles from home, tried to 'phone home - but 'phone battery flat. Went into the adjacent Fish and Chip Shop (it was around lunchtime) and used their 'phone to contact the missus. She agreed to drive out and get me but time dragged by without her appearing until eventually the shop owner came out with his 'phone. Turned out the car battery was also flat. So I had to walk home anyway in road shoes.

Moral(s) of the story -

Keep all your batteries charged.
Clean your chain and check it often.
If not, always carry a plastic bag and ride in flat shoes.
I don't know where I'm going but I'll always tell you where I am.