Shimano Alfine 8 disc removal tool

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mmd040

Shimano Alfine 8 disc removal tool

Post by mmd040 »

I know this is supposed to be the same removal tool as used for Shimano cassettes but I have two and neither of them fit. They are too short to lock the splines and/or the hole in the middle is not wide enough to allow the tool to slip over. One of them was sold as being OK for solid axles but it's not. Does anyone know of a tool that will work for an Alfine hub?
Brucey

Re: Shimano Alfine 8 disc removal tool

Post by Brucey »

I think almost any too will do provided you remove the LH locknut from the axle, won't it? Not ideal I know but needs must...?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
AndyA

Post by AndyA »

If you find that the tool does not engage the spline because it has a taper at the start you can grind the first few mm off the tool. This helps with hubs that have dust seals that come right up to the lockring. I've got a Unior lockring tool that's spot on, splines start square and can fit a solid axle. I'm pretty sure I had to grind my Lezyne EXBBT-CLT - which I prefer in general as you don't need to remove the QR nut to undo the lockring on cassette hubs. Best lockring tool in the business - and total overkill for even most pro mechanics - is the Abbey Tools Combie
mmd040

Post by mmd040 »

The problem is that I can't get the locknut off until I've removed the disc. Apparently this tool will do the job "Cyclepro CPT201 Cassette Lockring Remover" so I've ordered one and will let you know. Otherwise I will grind down one of my current tools.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

I had this problem a last year when I bought a second hand Alfine 8 wheel and wanted to remove the disc.
My normal cassette removal tool didn't fit.
I bought a Var cassette tool http://www.vartools.com/en/hyperglide-c ... r-p477.php which did the job, I got it in a shop but can't remember which one, maybe Evans. Can't seem to see it available online in the UK but there are some european sites that sell it.
mmd040

Post by mmd040 »

Cyclepro CPT201 Cassette Lockring Remover

This tool does the job perfectly in case anyone is wondering.