Aluminium wheel set for circa £300

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
elPedro666

Re: Aluminium wheel set for circa £300

Post by elPedro666 »

Ain't that the truth - officially I hate the gottahaveit disposable side of cycling culture, but it's definitely handy for some bargain hunting! [emoji1]
nathb

Post by nathb »

Tonyf33 wrote:Ah see, now you're into the faster speeds you're going to need some properly decent hoops for when you get your new frame :D , I'm after a set of ENVE 45s (though I have some 38mm carbons already), seen a set with 300miles on them & handbuilt with Alchemy hubs that I'm hoping to get for under a monkey, well that's the plan..
Keep your eyes open on bike radar and the like, you can get some expensive wheels for not a lot toward the end of Autumn as the wannabe's dispose of their few hundred mile old wheels for the latest and greatest :lol:

Signed up to that website, thanks!

Between CTC, Singletrack and bike radar I should be able to pick up some wheels at a bargain price! :lol:

Quick question guys, before this thread hits the dusty trail...

Currently I have Alex Rim R500 rims, which I believe are 23mm? I have 25mm tyres.

As I'm constantly taking my front wheel off to fit my bike into the rear of the car, I was wondering if I was to buy some wheels with 25mm rims next time - would it mean I don't have to adjust the front brake as much? As currently I have to screw it back in to take the wheel off, then unscrew to build the tension back up (I'm sure there's better terminology than I'm currently using for this, 8) ).
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

most brake calipers have a QR lever eg like this one;

- you just flick it upwards and then there is enough clearance to get the wheel out. Sometimes the same function is built into the brake lever instead.

IME having tyres the same width as the rim is sometimes good for aero but you may not like the ride quality or the handling.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
nathb

Post by nathb »

Brucey wrote:most brake calipers have a QR lever eg like this one;

- you just flick it upwards and then there is enough clearance to get the wheel out. Sometimes the same function is built into the brake lever instead.

IME having tyres the same width as the rim is sometimes good for aero but you may not like the ride quality or the handling.

cheers

Yeah I do that, but it's not enough to clear the tyre - hence having to screw it in and out.

Cheers
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

the throw of the QR varies from one caliper type to another. It might be worth exploring if your QR throw is unusually short.

cheers
nathb

Post by nathb »

Brucey wrote:the throw of the QR varies from one caliper type to another. It might be worth exploring if your QR throw is unusually short.

cheers

Apologies for the rubbish picture, but yeah my unbranded/felt brakes QR is terrible!

Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I would have said that you ought to be able to do better than that, but as to exactly which model might suit best....

....anyone.....?

cheers
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

Apologies if I'm patronising, but it might be worth double checking whether there's also a release at the lever end?
nathb

Post by nathb »

Brucey wrote:I would have said that you ought to be able to do better than that, but as to exactly which model might suit best....

....anyone.....?

cheers

Do you mean model of brake or QR?

elPedro666 wrote:Apologies if I'm patronising, but it might be worth double checking whether there's also a release at the lever end?

No, I don't think it does. They're Shimano Sora 3500? shifters.

Cheers guys!
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

Personally I'd keep my eyes peeled for a decent second hand set of Shimano calipers on here/RetroBike.co.uk/evilBay. It's not essential to match Shimano calipers to Shimano levers of course, but it is pretty failsafe!
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

nathb wrote:
Do you mean model of brake or QR?...

I mean brake; the built in QR will vary in its stroke but I'm not sure which current models will be best in this respect.

A straw poll of my various short reach DP calipers suggests that Tektro open about 2mm and Shimano open about 3mm, but that could vary wildly with model of brake...

cheers
nathb

Post by nathb »

Brucey wrote:
nathb wrote:
Do you mean model of brake or QR?...

I mean brake; the built in QR will vary in its stroke but I'm not sure which current models will be best in this respect.

A straw poll of my various short reach DP calipers suggests that Tektro open about 2mm and Shimano open about 3mm, but that could vary wildly with model of brake...

cheers

Cheers! Food for thought :)

elPedro666 wrote:Personally I'd keep my eyes peeled for a decent second hand set of Shimano calipers on here/RetroBike.co.uk/evilBay. It's not essential to match Shimano calipers to Shimano levers of course, but it is pretty failsafe!

I was almost tempted to buy some 5800 105 ones when they were on offer for about £30-35, but they state:
"Must be used in conjunction with ST-5800, ST-6800 or ST-9000 STIs for correct leverage ratio"
So I avoided. :?