Skin Flint Stuff Sacs

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Heltor Chasca

Skin Flint Stuff Sacs

Post by Heltor Chasca »

OK so they aren't proprietary stuff sacs at all. They are empty kindling bags with a loop of matching orange bailing twine. They are the strong, fine mesh sort and don't trap air, taking up valuable space. Perfect for your clothes and soft items in open plan panniers like my Ortliebs.

What Skin Flint product have you come up with?...b

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425139438.295877.jpg
CREPELLO

Re: Skin Flint Stuff Sacs

Post by CREPELLO »

I once bought a folding tyre that came in a similar bag to that. I've used it for clothes that need airing, strapped to my panniers, whilst camping.

Other skin flint ideas? Plastic bread bags - I triple wrap inner tubes in them to stop chafing of the rubber whilst in the saddle bag etc. Put the tube in, twist bag and double back on itself and repeat. Seal with a bit of tape to stop it coming undone.
bikerwaser

Post by bikerwaser »

i use old inner tubes for all sorts of things.
one thing i do is chop up sections of it and use them as rubber bands . one of the uses for them is for a hand brake.
they're also useful for light bracket holder or handlebar brackets or other such brackets that need and extra bit of grip or packing.
i once used 2 longer bits that i put over 2 high powered torches that i then cable tied to a helmet for off road night riding.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

Did somebody mention inner tubes? viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30756
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

CREPELLO wrote:
Other skin flint ideas? Plastic bread bags - I triple wrap inner tubes in them to stop chafing of the rubber whilst in the saddle bag etc. Put the tube in, twist bag and double back on itself and repeat. Seal with a bit of tape to stop it coming undone.

I use cling film for that.

The plastic bread bags i use for, er, sandwiches.
Sweep
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

Pay for cling film :o when the bread bags are free? :wink:
They also have the benefit that they can be re-used a few times. :) And the punctured tube can just be chucked into the bag for attention later.

Actually, I received some stuff in the post wrapped in the post yesterday...wrapped in clingfilm. Until I get round to buying some PVC free clingfilm, I'll use these scraps to wrap up little bundles of dried fruit and nuts. These can easily be squeezed down into odd shapes that will fit into nooks and cranies in various cycle bags
bikerwaser

Post by bikerwaser »

i use very thick cable ties and attched them together and feed them into my Platypus water bottle to keep it from going skanky as the once you have to buy are crazy price.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

+1 for various uses for bread bags. I roll my spare inner tubes and keep them in bread bags in saddlebags - I put them over my feet and in my shoes for riding in the rain - I re-use them for sandwiches - I wrap various things in them to protect and keep dry in saddlebags - I use them for similar purposes in the rucksack.

I use the plastic Ovaltine jars for screws, nuts-n'-bolts indeed almost any smallish item, to keep dry in the bike shed. I use sheets of newspaper to stuff up (or is it down?) my jersey in icy weather to protect my chest. I keep and re-use the plastic tea-mugs that you get on the train..........it goes on and on. This thread could run and run if we all post when we remember something.

I pick up and use the rubber bands that the postmen drop (they're not red anymore, have you noticed?) I use yoghurt cups for germinating seeds and my wife takes them to school for the children to model with.

But hey.................don't we throw a lot of plastic rubbish away?
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

JohnW Wrote

+1 for various uses for bread bags.

After using them to keep your feet dry in the rain it's probably not a bad idea to wash them out before using them for your sandwiches. Or at least turn them inside out. :)
Thomas125

Post by Thomas125 »

What you don't like the extra cruch :?: :lol:
Was 93.4kg now 78.3kg

Next target 74.0kg

"Life is one long bike ride" :-)
Thomas125

Post by Thomas125 »

Ridiculously off topic but I'm in the process of converting an 84L storage box into a tropical fish tank for the kids.

Total cost including pump, filter, heater, lights, gravel, and air tubes is under 60 notes. Cheapest tanks with stuff online were 3 times the price.
Was 93.4kg now 78.3kg

Next target 74.0kg

"Life is one long bike ride" :-)
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Norman H wrote:
JohnW Wrote

+1 for various uses for bread bags.

After using them to keep your feet dry in the rain it's probably not a bad idea to wash them out before using them for your sandwiches. Or at least turn them inside out. :)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ........let me explain - I use different bread bags for different purposes..........they're usually full of holes anyway, after a day on the feet...........
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

JohnW wrote:+1 for various uses for bread bags. I roll my spare inner tubes and keep them in bread bags in saddlebags - I put them over my feet and in my shoes for riding in the rain - I re-use them for sandwiches - I wrap various things in them to protect and keep dry in saddlebags - I use them for similar purposes in the rucksack.

I pick up and use the rubber bands that the postmen drop (they're not red anymore, have you noticed?) I use yoghurt cups for germinating seeds and my wife takes them to school for the children to model with.

That'll be Yog art then.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Paulatic wrote:
JohnW wrote:+1 for various uses for bread bags. I roll my spare inner tubes and keep them in bread bags in saddlebags - I put them over my feet and in my shoes for riding in the rain - I re-use them for sandwiches - I wrap various things in them to protect and keep dry in saddlebags - I use them for similar purposes in the rucksack.

That'll be Yog art then.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

How about old toothbrushes for cleaning the crud off the awkward places on the b8ike - and old underwear for polishing the frame - and ladies' tights for cleaning between the sprockets and between the blades on the brake stirrups. I save those supermarket plastic carriers for putting over the saddle outside the tea-stops when it's raining.

We normally have our milk delivered by the milkman, but occasionally buy extra milk in those plastic bottles. It pains me to throw them away so I use them to clutter up the bike shed...........can't let all that space go to waste.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Sweep wrote:The plastic bread bags i use for, er, sandwiches.

Ditto, cause they're the perfect size. Finish one loaf of bread and use the bag whilst I munch my way through the next loaf and repeat.