Campagnolo bearing service/tech doc query

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Godlykepower

Campagnolo bearing service/tech doc query

Post by Godlykepower »

I am new to Campagnolo component ownership & I'm about to replace the bearings in my hubs & thought I might as well do the cups & cones too.

- How do I identify exactly which hubs I have?
- Where would I look to find part numbers for the bits I need?

I've seen there is a support area on the Campag website, but it all seems to be for current components. I'm aware that I'm dealing with old 8 speed hubs, so the bits might be trickier to locate, but are there tech docs available to help me out?
I don't have a gambling problem. I'm winning, and winning is not a problem for me. That's like saying AC/DC have an awesomeness problem.
tatanab

Re: Campagnolo bearing service/tech doc query

Post by tatanab »

campag website - support - documentation - spare parts http://www.campagnolo.com/AU/en/Support/download_2?td=3 select the group your hubs are from and potential years. There are huge crossovers of parts like cones etc between groups and years. The pictures may help you identify which group your hubs come from. Look also at catalogues for further hints.

If the hubs are in reasonable condition I probably would not bother replacing cones and certainly not cups just for the sake of it. I have early 90s track hubs in use on the road in all sorts of weather on my hack and they are still perfectly fine.
mr riff raff

Post by mr riff raff »

Put a picture on here for ID purposes.
Politicians are wonderful people as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, such as working for a living.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

whatever you do, don't just buy cheap balls and put them in a campag hub; campag balls are finely toleranced and should only be replaced with the best quality balls you can buy from a bearing factor. Don't even bother opening up the hubs unless you know how to adjust then correctly (i.e. to allow for the QR compression).

The archive section of the campag website goes back to the early 1990s and there are parts catalogues for every year forwards from then. If you post photographs of your kit someone will be able to help with identification.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Godlykepower

Post by Godlykepower »

I'll try and get some pictures up later.

That's peculiar, I found all that info in the link above, but when I clicked on "1994" it came up with no results. I must have had slightly different search criteria.

Brucey, I have done hubs before after getting advice on here; I'm confident carrying out the service myself. I also only use Grade 10 balls in my hubs, which I believe is standard for Campagnolo?
I don't have a gambling problem. I'm winning, and winning is not a problem for me. That's like saying AC/DC have an awesomeness problem.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Godlykepower wrote:That's peculiar, I found all that info in the link above, but when I clicked on "1994" it came up with no results.
I've done that in the past by opening Tech Docs instead of Spare Parts and wondering why it showed no docs. Another source of even older catalogues and other useful info is http://www.campyonly.com/
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

If we are talking high-end Campagnolo 8 speed hubs you only need cone wrenches to replace the bearings. And to remove the freehub body you no.1 remove the sprockets, no.2 unscrew the gub screw in the locknut that holds the freehub body onto the axle, and then no.3 use an open-ended wrench to remove the locknut holding the freehub on the axle.

Replacing the bearing cups is the problem unless you have the proper removal tool and bearing cup press.
I should coco.
gfk_velo

Post by gfk_velo »

If your hubs are the 8s type with fully serviceable bearings, you have several problems ...

The first is is that you really, really DO need the correct removers and presses for the bearing cups - we have had a number of instances where the wrong removers / and or techniqies have been used by end users trying to manage without the correct tooling and the cost to rectify the damage done has comfortably exceeded what we, or another competent workshop, would have charged to do the job in the 1st place.

Second, spare ballbearings aside, spare cones and bearing inserts for these hubs are becoming very rare - for the most part the service components for these hubs can't be found in the factory any more and many parts descriptions on the internet leave a lot to be desired or are frankly just innacurate.

For these reasons we'd strongly advise that this isn't (and was never designed to be) a DIY job - it's best done by a Service Centre or ProShop, with correct tooling and access to the parts interchangeability and workaround advice that is available from us as the main Technical Centre and Service Centre in the UK, or that we have trained to do this prticular job.

Hope that helps
Graeme
Velotech Cycling Ltd
Main UK Technical and Service Centre, Campagnolo.
Head Technician and Director, Velotech Cycling Ltd,
Nationwide modular mechanic's training in all bicycle types
Campagnolo's main factory-appointed UK Technical and Service Centre
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

gfk_velo wrote:Second, spare ballbearings aside, spare cones and bearing inserts for these hubs are becoming very rare - for the most part the service components for these hubs can't be found in the factory any more and many parts descriptions on the internet leave a lot to be desired or are frankly just innacurate.
Of course, you can do as I did and buy a whole new hub.
Screen shot 2015-03-01 at 09.29.42.png
If you were to buy the front hub, you can strip it down and have all the balls, the cups and the cones for less cost than the individual bits.

I'm aware that the rear hubs are different from 8sp, and I know that they changed to freewheel body, but all the bits are compatible 9sp onwards providing you use the new axle. Buying a rear hub solely for the internals plus the freewheel body is SO MUCH cheaper than buying the bits.

............ and you can sell the skewers afterwards.
Mick F. Cornwall