Holdsworth frame

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
barbelfisher

Holdsworth frame

Post by barbelfisher »

Does anybody know if Holdsworth produced a Mistral without top tube cable eyes. I have a Holdsworth frame which is Reynolds 531, with double butted frame, forks and stays. The rear stays are also wra pover. I would be grateful for some info, many thanks.

Barbelfisher.
tatanab

Re: Holdsworth frame

Post by tatanab »

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/nkilgariff ... istral.htm link shows 1978 onwards with no brake cable eyes.

Edit - it may not be as simple as that. I had a 1968 Mistral frame and I was sure it had no top tube eyes. I found an old photograph and I can see 3 chromed clips on the top tube so I can expect that my memory is correct. In the late 60s Holdsworth would build frames to order if the stock specification did not suit. So perhaps mine (second hand) was one of those.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

worth a look here

http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/bikes/holdsworth-sm-rb.html

and here

http://www.yellowjersey.org/holdsw.html

both show vintage holdsworths without cable eyes on the top tube.

BTW I have a Roy Thame with a seat cluster that is a dead ringer for the Holdsworth on the yellow jersey page.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
barbelfisher

Post by barbelfisher »

Not had much luck with the Holdsworth frame yet. I discovered the stays do not go right over the top, only partially curved over. The number is 014906 which dates it to mid 1970,s and the Reynolds transfer appears the same date. It has Campagnola rear drop outs but would I really like to know the model name. The Reynolds sticker has Reynolds slanting. Could it be the International model. l it is original and sprayed gun metal grey with a lamp bracket on the front, or was the Mistral made with partial overstays. Checked all the recommended sights but really none the wiser.

Regards barbelfisher.
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

My Mistral (purchased 2nd hand/re enamelled but still with head badge (riveted on sort, not transfer), but the seller was reliable - I purchased it in 1980 I think) has the full wrap over seat stays (all but 1 of the the other mistrals of that period I have seen have partial wrap stays, all with quite long tapers at the top - unlike the ugly short taper on later models that came from Humberside or where ever they came from). When I got it the frame had no brazed on cable guides on the top tube at all. It had Campag BB cable guides and single cable stop on the chainstay, possibly original, possibly added when it was resprayed. No front lamp boss on the fork. It had long Campag (model 1010 I think) rear dropouts. From memory Prugnat (spelling?) frame lugs.
Hope this helps