IGH Chaincase and chain lubrication

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
photobike

IGH Chaincase and chain lubrication

Post by photobike »

A short while back I acquired a 2nd hand Idworx Easy Rohler of unknown age but generally good condition with a Rohloff IGH and full chaincase as seen here

Removing the lower rear silver section shows the chain which seems to be a Rohloff SLT 99 (not sure how worn it is yet)

I haven't fully worked out how to fully remove the chaincase but in any event my query is as follows. When the subject comes up here, it seems that the suggestion is to get a chaincase to minimise lubrication and extend chain life - I get all that. However I haven't seen a recommendation for what the appropriate means of lubrication is so that you can fit and forget it (for quite a while). Many of the recommended lubricants and regimes on threads here seem to require that you come back after x hundred miles to repeat, which defeats the purpose and is not practical with a chaincase

2nd question is around rear wheel removal where necessary. Does anyone recognise the chaincase in general, as distinct from the Idworx branding, and what is the minimum amount of dismantling to remove the wheel or alternatively could you point me towards a manual for this or similar if you are aware of one.

Thanks in anticipation

PB
Brucey

Re: IGH Chaincase and chain lubrication

Post by Brucey »

I would lube the chain with a semi-fluid grease, provided the chaincase keeps the dirt out effectively.

However in this instance I am not confident that it will protect the chain as well as some other models of chaincase because it is open at the chainwheel. I don't recognise the type but they are usually straightforward to assemble, if a little fiddly. If there is no horizontal split in it, you will need to remove the crank to get it off.

If you wish to remove the chain in order to clean it, you can do this without disturbing the chaincase; you simply attach another chain to the present one and feed it in as the other one is fed out.

My guess is that your chain is barely worn, judging from the condition of the sprocket.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

It's a Hesling chain case, if that helps. Be very careful not to break it, though, coz it ain't cheap! :o

Frustratingly, I can only find instructions for the Hesling 'Delgado' chaincase, but I guess the fixings will be very similar to yours (Brucey could advise):
http://www.hesling.nl/delgado/assets/de ... incase.pdf

Here's Hesling's website, set for English language. If you're not sure, you could always email them about how to safely remove the chaincase without breaking it - click on 'Contact' - they might well send you the pdf for your specific Idworx Hesling chaincase (it might just be unique to Idworx bicycles):
http://www.hesling.nl/?lang=en#/Products/Chain%20Cases/
Last edited by Graham on 5 Jan 2017, 3:49pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removal of a strange URL ( that remains a mystery to all ).
photobike

Post by photobike »

Thank you both for your helpful responses. I was aware that parts for the bike were expensive but that is stratospheric. One of the reasons I wanted to get it off is that there is a crack in the upper rear silver section and I dont want to cause further damage.

If I was applying a semi-fluid grease (I am unfamiliar with grease other than the 'thick' stuff) are there examples of brand or spec I should look for and how do you apply it to a chain (drip it, by brush, drop in a bath of it or???)

Anyone any thoughts on what is normally required for wheel removal with a chaincase (I have a suspicion the crack was from just such an effort by a previous owner without having done so properly)

Thanks again

PB
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

this stuff is easy to use

https://www.tetrosyl.com/tetconnect/oils_-_lubricants/greases/XSG400-

but you can buy semi-fluid greases in tubs and apply them to chains using nozzle-type grease guns, brushes or anything really, whatever you find most convenient.

Motorcycle chain lube is good but it is usually designed for higher flinging forces; you can have something runnier on a bike. If the chaincase was truly oil-tight then you would of course use oil in a full bath.

Regarding the chaincase you will just have to look at it and try to figure out which parts come separate and how; often wiggling the thing around should show what is not really part of what. Helsing make quite nice chaincases as a rule, but they don't all come apart the same way.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
photobike

Post by photobike »

Thanks Again!
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

Slight aside, but my chain wear gauge was a fiver (I think that was including postage from Wiggle) - seriously recommend everyone should have one! [emoji3] [emoji106]
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Personally I'd wait till the chain started squeaking, then give it a drop of chain oil followed by a wipe with a rag and forget about it again (but then I'm a lazy b....) :lol:
"42"