Rear cassette loose?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Cress1968

Rear cassette loose?

Post by Cress1968 »

Hi I'm just after a bit advice and please excuse me if I the terminology for the parts of the bike wrong [emoji6]
I have a cube Ltd 4 year old and about 6 month ago I had a problem where it was just in constant free wheel. Took it back to shop where I bought it and have it serviced and they said it was freewheel cassette I think and fixed it ( I work nights and left wife to deal with bike shop lol) it worked no problem after that but for last week I've noticed it's slipping off the the rear cogs when I'm on either of the two smallest gears especially when I put pressure on pedals. When I've checked these two cogs have a bit of play in them but the others are solid.. I know it has to go in to get fixed but essentially my question is could this be any way related to any work they did sorting last problem or totally non related? I'm currently working away so wife will have to take bike or at least wheel in and it's a fair trek to my usual shop, theres a much closer one that I would use as long as the original shop hasn't done anything to cause this problem whilst fixing the freewheel. Sorry for the long post for a simple question. [emoji5]
Oh and is it likely to be expensive just so I can put earplugs in for when wife rings me lol
Thank you
using hovercraft full of eels.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Rear cassette loose?

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
A cassette hub is very reliable and should not require any maintenance.
Unless it makes noises when freewheeling or slips on all cogs or has excessive side play.
Four years unless its seen a lot of bad weather / abuse is not that long unless its seen many miles.
Sounds like whatever repair was originally done is at fault.
But only someone who knows bikes / the shop you went to or another shop (LBS) will be able to fix.
Unless you want to start your own bike maintenance :?:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

Cassettes do come loose (but shouldn't). A friend of mine had this repeatedly. It's simple to tighten up with the right tools. However what you describe about the slipping etc might be down to worn chain and sprockets
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
Cress1968

Post by Cress1968 »

Thanks for replies, I mostly use it for commute.. Which is bout 100 mile a week, I get it serviced once a year and I can do the basic maintenance myself if it involves spanners or Alan keys and it's been faultless until the freewheel went, I'm assuming that's what it's called? Basically the cogs would spin in both directions without engaging.
I think I was just wondering if they had maybe not assembled it back correctly and if so it was a simple fix or whether I was looking at having to replace parts.
Once again thank you for the quick replies :)
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
On a cassette the last two smallest cogs maybe separate to the rest of the block.
This might have some bearing on what you have found.
The tool to do up the lock ring is very cheap, less than a fiver, you would also need a chain whip off ebay for £3.
Take off rear wheel.
Grap hold of the cassette with fingers and see if it wobbles a bit.
Use the quick release off rear wheel to hold tool on block, no need to overtighten.
Try to undo (anticlockwise) the lock ring simply by holding the cassette with some rag and tool (need adjustable spanner / socket wrench) , if it comes off easy then there's the problem.
Look for damage on the smallest lose gogs :?:
Clean it up and reassemble with a small smear of grease on the lockring serrations which match the same on the smallest cog.
Do it up with a 12 " long wrench till you can hardly make it move with one arm.

Its possible that it was never tight enough when it left the shop :?:

Yes the slipping of chain on smallest cogs can be sign of worn chain, how many miles do you do a week :?:
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

See Park Tool website for information:-
http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... el-removal

First decide which you have - freehub or freewheel.

The top photo shows a "freehub" and "cassette". The ratchet is in the freehub.
The second photo shows a "freewheel" block. The ratchet is in with the sprockets.
It is also worth checking out Utube for how-to videos.

If the chain only jumps on two sprockets but is O.K on the others then I would suspect a worn chain.
I would expect a worn ratchet to problematic on all sprockets.

If you can do your own maintenance then it's worth buying a couple or three tools for changing cassettes and chains. A lot cheaper and you know what has been done.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Cress1968

Post by Cress1968 »

Thanks everyone when I get home I'll try as suggested, I'll order the tools off ebay now as they are cheap enough and I'm bound to need them again at some point if not for my bike then one of kids! Im always keen to learn more about maintaining my bike myself but because of shifts I work I can only get to work by bike so I'm always wary on taking on jobs im not 100% sure of but as they say nothing ventured nothing gained!
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Check delivery as they may be international sellers so 2 - 6 weeks is typical, look for UK sellers for faster delivery more money.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw= ... z&_sacat=0

These are "Icetoolz" good quality but bargain price, International sellers :!:
Shimano cassette tool.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/gobike88-Icet ... 23252438eb
Shimano freewheel tool.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Icetoolz-09B3 ... 2ecc003b0b

UK sellers-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Icetoolz-Cass ... 1e7ce42e7e

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IceToolz-New- ... 2a4995c60c

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/freewheel-cha ... 2565f8b94b

Check your cog type first :!: