MKS Ezy - Shimano SPD compatibility

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
PJ520

MKS Ezy - Shimano SPD compatibility

Post by PJ520 »

Will SPD shoe clips work with MKS Ezy "SPD style" pedals? They don't work very well for me right now: they are difficult to clip in and come out very easily when pulling up. I was hoping it was just a matter of getting the adjustment right and a bit of practice or am I going to have to use EZ shoe clips? This is a pain as I have two pairs of SPD shoes and another bike with perfectly good SPD pedals.

The LBS guy was convinced my shoes would work with these pedals and the price was splendid, plus he did a heroic job of getting my frozen pedal off without damaging the crank so I found it hard to question his judgement.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
Brucey

Re: MKS Ezy - Shimano SPD compatibility

Post by Brucey »

You have MKS MM Cube EZY, right? Like this;

If so your SPD-compatible shoes will work with these pedals but this is not the same thing as 'the MKS pedal working with SPD cleats'.

There is a note (dated 15/5/2006) here

http://www.mkspedal.com/English/MKS_padal_news.htm

which explains that MKS MM Cube pedals (the EZY moniker refers to the QD arrangement) must use the MM-Cube cleat only, and that this cleat is not compatible with other pedals.

FWIW I have used other clipless pedals (that use a cleat that looks like the MM-cube cleat, that happened to be the same length and depth as the SPD cleat). MKS Cube cleats look like this (I can't find an image of the cleats I used but they were almost identical)

When I tried new SPD cleats in the non-SPD pedals they worked OK-ish but when I tried worn SPD cleats in the same pedals it was lethal, the cleat wouldn't release. One difference in the pedals is that genuine SPDs have 'kicker ramps' each side of the rear claw, so the cleat is forced upwards as you twist. Non-SPDs (that use a broader flat cleat) don't have this. Worn SPD cleats have a groove in the back of the cleat (where the rear jaw bears) and this hangs on to the jaw if there is no ramp to push it out. If it were just that, maybe you could make some arrangement work OK but the rear jaw on the MKS pedals doesn't have a notch in it and I think you need that with SPD cleats. I don't think the MKS cleat will work in SPD pedals either.

So I don't think there is a single cleat that will work in both SPD and MKS cube pedals.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

I used SPD cleats with MKS Ezy pedals when I had the Airnimal. Although they were stated as not being fully compatible, I had no problems.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

Thanks for your replies

Brucey wrote:when I tried worn SPD cleats in the same pedals it was lethal, the cleat wouldn't release.

This is my experience; my cleats have thousands of miles on them and even when I was off the bike the left pedal wouldn't release! It's a pity because the MKS stuff seems to be top quality kit. Perhaps bikepacker you were using new or newish SPD cleats. It looks like I'll have to find some SPD pedals. But they must have wrench flats; after my latest go round I'll never trust the Allen key only types.

I interpreted the link Brucey gave to say that Ezy clips will not work with SPD pedals but to not say anything about the other way round i.e. SPD clips on Ezy pedals.

This brings up another issue. I used Permatex anti-sieze, the grey stuff that get everywhere, on the pedal threads and it doesn't appear to work: the left pedal was completely seized and the right one was very very stiff after perhaps 7000 miles. I know people swear by Copperease(sp?) but it doesn't seem to be available in the US. My LBS bloke asserts that waterproof grease does the trick.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Pete Jack wrote: . It looks like I'll have to find some SPD pedals. But they must have wrench flats; after my latest go round I'll never trust the Allen key only types...

Luckily for you the least expensive SPD pedal is also one of the best and has flats on the pedal spindle. PD-M520 is a very good pedal by any standards but especially considering the price.

There are lots of copper-based anti-seize compounds, 'copaslip' is one, any auto parts store should have something similar.

When applying the stuff, coat both the pedal spindle and the hole in the crank; otherwise you won't get a good coating all over by the time the pedal is screwed in.

If you want to go belt and braces on it, once the pedal is installed, coat both sides of the crank where the spindle shows with waxoyl; run it in with a hairdryer. This alone should keep the water out for a year or two but the combination with the copper-ease is pretty much unbeatable.

cheers
gaz

Post by gaz »

Brucey wrote:There is a note (dated 15/5/2006) here http://www.mkspedal.com/English/MKS_padal_news.htm which explains that MKS MM Cube pedals (the EZY moniker refers to the QD arrangement) must use the MM-Cube cleat only, and that this cleat is not compatible with other pedals.

Not even with pedals from MKS previous foray into clipless http://www.bikepro.com/products/pedals/mks, upon which I cut my SPD teeth (or feet :? :wink: ).
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

at the time they came out I wasn't entirely convinced by shimano SPDs either, so I didn't factor those into my thinking for more than a few seconds. IIRC the MTN pedal didn't even have proper ball bearings in it either. Most un-MKS-like.

cheers
LWaB

Post by LWaB »

Wellgo QRD pedals are SPD-compatible, unlike MKS.