Vittoria Rubino Pro Advice

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
nathb

Vittoria Rubino Pro Advice

Post by nathb »

Hello,

Sorry me again. :twisted:

Just looking to replace some Vittoria Zaffiro Slick wired 23c.

I'm just about to purchase some 25c Vittoria Rubino Pro's but I'm split between the standard Vittoria Rubino Pro 3's and the Vittoria Rubino Pro 3 slicks.

With summer approaching and wanting to increase my pace, which would you recommend?

I'm guessing the standard ones would give me more grip around corners, and they'd both be fairly similar on straights since its slick on the top of the standard ones?

Thanks
Brucey

Re: Vittoria Rubino Pro Advice

Post by Brucey »

the treaded tyre will feel slightly different in the corners but whether it will actually offer any more grip or not is somewhat moot.

FWIW you can see more easily when a treaded tyre is worn out; with a slick you eventually see the carcass showing through, if it doesn't cut up too badly first....

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Vittoria's website says the treaded version is slower than the slick,though TBH as both use the same 150TPI carcass and weigh almost the same it's negligible.
As for tread and cornering there'll be no appreciable difference IMO.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
nathb

Post by nathb »

Thanks guys!

Just ordered the 25c Slicks from Wiggle :D :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I've been using Rubin Pro for quite some years, but the treaded version. 23mm now and 20mm in the past.
I find that the tyres last about 5,000miles or so before the canvass starts to show through.
I swap them over every thousand miles so they equalise wear. I like to replace both at the same time. Mine are at about 3,000miles at the moment and have been swapped once, and are ready for swapping again.

I wonder if the slick versions last longer?
Mick F. Cornwall
nathb

Post by nathb »

Mick F wrote:I've been using Rubin Pro for quite some years, but the treaded version. 23mm now and 20mm in the past.
I find that the tyres last about 5,000miles or so before the canvass starts to show through.
I swap them over every thousand miles so they equalise wear. I like to replace both at the same time. Mine are at about 3,000miles at the moment and have been swapped once, and are ready for swapping again.

I wonder if the slick versions last longer?

I shall record for you, I'm guessing not as they don't have the tread bits?

Your name kept coming up when I was searching for "rubino" :)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:D :D
Yes, I do like them!
I'll be interested in hearing how you get on with the slicks.

I was thinking that the cross-sectional diameter of the treaded tyre would be the same as a slick tyre.
Therefore there's more rubber on a slick?

Actually, I haven't a clue about this, it just seems to make sense to me.

Mine are treaded - as I said - but there's not much tread on them even when brand new, so after a couple of thousand miles they may as well have been slick to start with.
Mick F. Cornwall
nathb

Post by nathb »

I guess that would show up in the weight? I.e if the extra rubber used for the tread was added to the top of the slick they'd be the same weight? (If that makes sense).

It took me ages to decide on a tyre, I had endurance 4s, luganos and Vreds on the radar. But then realised that actually I've never had a puncture with my zaffiros so vittoria must be good.

Unfortunately I have a hole in my zaffiro rear along with the fact that I think I've ruined the rear tyre on the turbo trainer (second hand wheel bought for that purpose).

Also I'm intrigued to see the weight difference of swapping the tyres compared with how they feel on the road.

Guess I'll find out! :)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

According to Vittoria's site Pro(treaded) & Pro Slick 700x25 weigh 235g so there shoud be the same amount of tread on both tyres ergo each should last as long as both carcasses are the same :)
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

So if they weigh the same, and the bead diameter is obviously the same ...................

As the tread is proud of the "land", the land on the treaded tyre must be "lower" than the surface of the slick, and so the surface of the slick must be lower than the tops of the tread.
Therefore the overall diameter of the treaded tyre must be greater than the slick.

Mind you, we're taking microns. :lol:

However, if the diameters are EXACTLY the same, there must be more rubber on the slick.
Mick F. Cornwall
nathb

Post by nathb »

Yeah, but I'm imagining it like dough for a pizza base. Comparing a thin crust to a stuffed crust, they both use the same amount of dough. :lol:

So if you're making the sticky out bits on the side of the standard one then rubber is going to be used on that bit, wereas on the slick it can be distributed evenly or focused on the middle of the tyre?

Ofcourse I know nothing about making tyres. :twisted:
nathb

Post by nathb »

Loving the new tyres, transformed my bike!

Even though I was battling 20mph winds today I managed to set some new personal bests:

Fastest mile: 2 mins 7 secs (av 28.35 mph)
Fastest 10 miles: 33mins 35 secs (av 17.87mph)

Can't wait for better weather to have a real go at setting some new personal bests with these tyres. :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

nathb wrote:Loving the new tyres, transformed my bike!
So glad you're pleased. :D
I'm wondering if I should get the slick version when my present tyres wear out.
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote:I'm wondering if I should get the slick version when my present tyres wear out.

Why wouldn't you? :wink:
W H Auden
nathb

Post by nathb »

Mick F wrote:
nathb wrote:Loving the new tyres, transformed my bike!
So glad you're pleased. :D
I'm wondering if I should get the slick version when my present tyres wear out.

Thanks!

The slicks are 14.99 at wiggle at the moment, that's the cheapest I could find them.