Bar End Shifter Problem

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Bridgford

Bar End Shifter Problem

Post by Bridgford »

I have a problem with the RHS Bar End Shifter for my rear derailleur. It's a Shimano Ultegra shifter for an 8 speed cassette - capable of working with index linked or friction. The shifter is about 8 years old and was working fine until part way through last Sunday's club ride, when suddenly I could no longer engage the bottom 3 gears (largest 3 cogs) on my cassette. The shifter just behaved as though I was at the end of the range - declining any further movement, with no stretch whatsoever on the cable. Given that Bar End Shifters have a reputation for reliability, I'm really surprised by this malfunction. I've googled around, with no success whatsoever, to see if I can find anyone who has experienced a similar problem - and any advice about whether I'm likely to be able to find a solution. Consequently, for now, I've simply adjusted the cable so that I can obtain adequately low gears - at the expense of the top end - but I'm keen to discover whether anyone on this forum has encountered a similar problem and whether anyone has any advice for me. I've not been able to find anything on Shimano's technical pages about the internals of Bar End Shifters and I'm starting to conclude that I'm probably going to have to buy a replacement shifter. Before doing so, however, I thought that I'd try this forum. Is there anyone out there who can help??
Brucey

Re: Bar End Shifter Problem

Post by Brucey »

this thread

http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=91352

may be of interest to you.

In addition to that failure mode IIRC the centre part of the lever can start to turn at the wrong time which can lead to symptoms like yours.

By comparison DT levers seem to be more reliable, which is odd when you think they should be near enough the same thing.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

I've had similar problems with Shimano indexed bar end shifters.

In the end I just junked them and fitted my 3 main bikes with the excellent Diacompe ones.

These are non-indexed but superbly smooth and intuitive.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I've used Shimano bar end shifters for year-round commuting over many years, and they do fail after about 8 years. If you lube them regularly they can last longer. I can't remember ever managing to fix one.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

People have this problem with incorrectly re assembled bar end levers so it sound slike som,ething has either moved or broken in yours. Is it the same in indexed and friction modes?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

It's the detent track that breaks, then the loose pieces either fall out or jam the lever. I get about 13,000 miles out of mine.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Bridgford

Post by Bridgford »

Yes, it's the same in both modes. From what you and others are saying, I guess that something has come loose / broken inside the mechanism. I'm wondering whether I might manage to get it working again, if I get inside and try to clear out any debris. If not, then it's probably a new shifter for me.