Saddle height

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Merry_Wanderer

Re: Saddle height

Post by Merry_Wanderer »

My saddles are set at between 817mm and 823mm height from top of saddle to centre of BB which works out at 0.91 of my inside leg to crotch height. The differences in height of the saddles are due to different crank lengths between bikes.

I had the bikes fitted to me after an Achilles tendonitis injury caused in part by riding with saddles set too low. Incidentally I have previously had a torn ACL, medial and cartilage tear. I had knee pain for years whilst climbing and mountaineering but since my physio advised me to stop climbing and take up cycling the pain has disappeared. Best of luck with your Op robing, hope your rehab goes well
BigG

Post by BigG »

Calculating the saddle height always seems to me to be too theoretical. I prefer an entirely practical method. I have a fairly simple and for me absolutely reliable method which is more repeatable than the traditional "one heel on pedal" system. I remove one crank (usually the left hand one) and refit it without fully tightening pointing in the same direction as the other crank. I then sit on the saddle and ensure that in all riding positions I can put weight on both pedals at once with bare heels enough to take some weight off the saddle but not enough to actually lift me off it. Measuring with both feet at once removes the variations caused by a rocking pelvis (No, not Elvis) and is reliably repeatable.
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

BigG wrote:Calculating the saddle height always seems to me to be too theoretical. I prefer an entirely practical method. I have a fairly simple and for me absolutely reliable method which is more repeatable than the traditional "one heel on pedal" system. I remove one crank (usually the left hand one) and refit it without fully tightening pointing in the same direction as the other crank. I then sit on the saddle and ensure that in all riding positions I can put weight on both pedals at once with bare heels enough to take some weight off the saddle but not enough to actually lift me off it. Measuring with both feet at once removes the variations caused by a rocking pelvis (No, not Elvis) and is reliably repeatable.

I may try this when it warms up. its too cold in the shed right now
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

BigG wrote:Calculating the saddle height always seems to me to be too theoretical.

Agreed - for a start it doesn't take into account the size of your feet.
robing

Post by robing »

Merry_Wanderer wrote:My saddles are set at between 817mm and 823mm height from top of saddle to centre of BB which works out at 0.91 of my inside leg to crotch height. The differences in height of the saddles are due to different crank lengths between bikes.

I had the bikes fitted to me after an Achilles tendonitis injury caused in part by riding with saddles set too low. Incidentally I have previously had a torn ACL, medial and cartilage tear. I had knee pain for years whilst climbing and mountaineering but since my physio advised me to stop climbing and take up cycling the pain has disappeared. Best of luck with your Op robing, hope your rehab goes well

Thanks. Had my op today and all went well. Had a small meniscal tear which was trimmed. However, have lost quite a lot of cartilage now as is my 3rd op (don't think my first surgeon did the best job unfortunately). So might have to ease back on the running and concentrate on the cycling.
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

95% of trouser size or (best) sit with the cranks parallel to the seat tube and your *heel* on the lower pedal. Set saddle height so your knee is just locked out. When you pedal properly, this should give the correct height. Much higher than some people seem to think is acceptable! Remember that it's affected by saddle setback, and this is a bit of a personal preference. Knee over pedal spindle is traditional but no-one agrees where "knee" should be measured from!

FWIW I wear 32" jeans and my saddle height has been 30.5" (top to BB spindle) for years with 95mm setback (or as much as I can manage if I can't get the saddle back that far). I just measure it on a new bike these days, since I know it's right and I never have knee problems. Disclaimer: I have my cleats quite far forward as I use my calf muscles a lot. You might need a lower saddle if you have the cleats further back.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

LollyKat wrote:
531colin wrote:I have recently updated this old thread...http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=74985..
I disagree with Lolly Kats saddle height setting, I think its too high for the reasons set out in the thread.....

Well, I did say it works for me personally - but we are all different.

fluffybunnyuk wrote:I go for leg almost fully extended but not quite. Bit like a piston working. The stroke is 98% of maximum. Never had knee pain.

I have read more than once (though of course can't remember where) that when pedalling women can extend their leg more than men - who knows.

Mentioned here in BikeDynamics:

"The ideal saddle height can be described by the angle of the knee at full extension. Typically, men will be close to 142° and women maybe 1-2° higher. The difference is due to flexibility, with looser female hamstrings allowing the knee to extend further."
CJ

Post by CJ »

LollyKat wrote:"The ideal saddle height can be described by the angle of the knee at full extension. Typically, men will be close to 142° and women maybe 1-2° higher. The difference is due to flexibility, with looser female hamstrings allowing the knee to extend further."

Naah, c'mon, be honest. The difference is because women on average are smaller. But most crank manufacturers don't find it economic to make cranks that short. So those who ARE that flexible may become cyclists and those who aren't gravitate toward some other activity.
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.