Broken chain

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
LollyKat

Re: Broken chain

Post by LollyKat »

Thomas125 wrote:I've had to relearn how to shift on my Alfine. It doesn't like shifting under load at all.

After a couple month I ease up almost instinctively now. Hard to quantify but I'm sure it will help my chain life.

Those of us who were (or still are :wink: ) used to friction DT levers with old-style blocks and chainsets without ramps and pins, still ease off automatically.

And when riding with a hub gear I cannot stop myself from changing down just before stopping to make sure I'm in the right gear for setting off again :lol: .
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Over the years I've had a few chains snap, mostly due to being 'down to the rivet' worn out on my badly looked after commuter! That happened twice, the second was on a busy roundabout at rush hour so I mended my ways!

Last year however I had an unexpected and strange break, heading out of Hawes towards Ribblehead, riding along steadily there were a couple of noisy changes and a bit of a rubbing noise before I lost drive. On retrieving the chain (a Campag Veloce 10sp) from the road I assumed the speed link (have you tried using a Campag connector pin?) had broken however closer inspection revealed that the newly tarred and chipped surface had supplied a granite chunk just big enough to jam in the link, which inadvertently my continued riding forced further between the plates finally bursting them off the rivet!

Yes I had a chain tool, it was useful in removing the damaged link once I'd cadged a spare speedlink off another rider (thank you again whoever you are!) I'd never contemplated taking a speedlink with me before relying on having the chain tool which from experience would actually be no use whatsoever in rejoining any of my Campag or KMC chains.

My advice - keep the chain clean (less is more if you want to extend the chains life), take a chain tool for removing damaged bits but take a speedlink that fits the chain to make the actual repair.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
And carry a piece of cut off new (when shortening out of box onto bike) or even old chain several links long and TWO or more quick links :?
Chain rivet extractor.....well goes without saying.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
jamesbradbury

Post by jamesbradbury »

For a roadside repair with quick links, surely you need a chain tool to remove any outer links on the end, as the quick links (Afaik) are made of two over links. The ones I've tried needed a special pair of pliers to click in properly.

In which case, isn't carrying a virgin pin preferable? I can't imagine it taking more than ten mins to put a new pin in, unless I'm missing something, which is fairly likely, as I've only ever changed 3 chains.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I carry a chain tool as part of a multi-tool, and a spare powerlink for my SRAM chains. That allows me to remove broken ends and rejoin in a way approved of by the maker of the chain. Simple, cheap and very little to carry.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

jamesbradbury wrote:For a roadside repair with quick links, surely you need a chain tool to remove any outer links on the end, as the quick links (Afaik) are made of two over links. The ones I've tried needed a special pair of pliers to click in properly.

In which case, isn't carrying a virgin pin preferable? I can't imagine it taking more than ten mins to put a new pin in, unless I'm missing something, which is fairly likely, as I've only ever changed 3 chains.

As others have pointed out, on anything above 8sp it is unlikely you can safely re rivet a chain, the holes in the side plates will be damaged and may not retain the pin (they are generally riveted rather than just pinned on narrower chains so the push out removes material or distorts the hole). Yes you need a chain tool but only to remove the damaged link.

Hence the advice from Sram et al to use powerlinks which only require tools to open, to close slide together and pull apart, if it doesn't quite seat position between sprockets and chainrings (on the top) and put pressure on the pedal with your foot, works every time!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Joining a chain on the road is a fiddly task, I wouldn't recommend anything other than quick links for this type of task.
Also maybe never above 8 speed without quick links.
Wheel truing might put most people off but re-riveting a chain on the road is something I will do but prefer to fix in comfort at home.
Get it wrong on the road and risk damaging chain more or worse I.M.O.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

thinking about it, when did you ever see an inner side plate fail in a chain? I've seen dozens of broken chains, and yet I can't think of a broken inner side plate. However when you look at inner side plates, they are made in the same gauge material as the outer side plates, but are usually slightly narrower. On the face of it they could be weaker in some places.

This suggests very strongly that when they fail thus, it is the riveting stresses that cause outer side plates to crack; they should otherwise see stresses that are similar to inner side plates.

This afternoon I spent a few minutes looking at a brand new Giant which was fitted (factory-fitted) with an 8s KMC chain. I looked for a quicklink and I didn't find one. What I did find was one rivet a different colour from all the others, and a splodge of paint on the chain at that point. I guess that the pin is a shimano-style pin (something KMC do not directly offer for retail sale....) and that the paint splodge is part of the QA process.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Brucey wrote:thinking about it, when did you ever see an inner side plate fail in a chain? I've seen dozens of broken chains, and yet I can't think of a broken inner side plate. However when you look at inner side plates, they are made in the same gauge material as the outer side plates, but are usually slightly narrower. On the face of it they could be weaker in some places.

This suggests very strongly that when they fail thus, it is the riveting stresses that cause outer side plates to crack; they should otherwise see stresses that are similar to inner side plates.

This afternoon I spent a few minutes looking at a brand new Giant which was fitted (factory-fitted) with an 8s KMC chain. I looked for a quicklink and I didn't find one. What I did find was one rivet a different colour from all the others, and a splodge of paint on the chain at that point. I guess that the pin is a shimano-style pin (something KMC do not directly offer for retail sale....) and that the paint splodge is part of the QA process.

cheers

Been there! viewtopic.php?f=5&t=19179&hilit=+Chain

Never got to the bottom of what caused this but am still embarrassed by state of chain :oops:
brucelee

Post by brucelee »

I think I'll risk it (not carrying a chain tool). There are more probable faults that will end a ride than a chain fault that I don't think I can fix with a screw driver and a powerlink. Maybe if I'm touring somewhere remote I'll make sure I'm better equipped, but for rolling round the valleys, I don't think I'll bother - given their weight and awkward shape (How did that pin go through my spare inner tube ?)
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Puncture fairies bad enough, so I fix it and the chain drops between frame and granny cog :?
Was not far from home so I walked, I had the rivet extractor so I could of split the chain and on my way.
Could be a long wait for a taxi...........................
meic

Post by meic »

As the others have said the chaintool is sometimes needed for the removal of the damaged link so that you can then fit your "powerlink" in its place.

I can think of two examples.

My ONLY ever time when I called out the wife to rescue me in the car. While pulling off, I got my gear change slightly wrong and it put a tiny nick in an outer link. I could still ride but the kinked bit of chain jumped every time it was fed onto the rear cassette. So no chance of doing the 20 hilly miles that remained. I may have been able to sort it out but it was already near midnight and quite welcomed the easy way out.

Another time while lubing a chain in a lay-by on my way to an Audax in the car (hadnt completed the job at home) I noticed one of the outer links was cracked, quick removal with the chain tool, fit a spare split link and I can then start the Audax with a healthy chain.

So two examples in 53,000 miles which isnt enough to make a chain tool essential but enough to make it worthwhile, not to mention helping others out occasionally. I first got it when a friend's chain broke up in the hills off roading in "The Valleys" as we were doing the long walk some guy stopped, produced a Hexus and got us going again. We both went out and bought a Hexus each within a week. :D
A Hexus or similar tool means you always have an adequate chain tool with you and are never bothered by its presence.
Yma o Hyd
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

For some reason I find it quick and easy to use a quicklink on a 9 speed chain. I've never snapped a 9 speed chain. I cannot use a quicklink on an 8 speed chain without using pliars to wrestle it into place. I've snapped 7 and 8 speed chains. Once on tour, stuck on my own outside Munich. The chain tool saved the day.
I can't remember ever snapping chains in my youth. I wonder if we put them under more strain now by refusing to get off a bike on steep hills. Standing and straining on the pedals. My chains have always broken whilst doing this very thing. In the past I think we got off more and pushed uphill. You don't see it very often now. Maybe we need more mechainical sympathy?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Talking about chaintools someone on here recommended one of these some time ago,so I bought one to use in a lightweight seatpack :-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2in1-Mini-Cyc ... 2c8260d1da
I had to wait awhile for delivery,looks a bit cheap, but it works well enough :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
reohn2 wrote:Talking about chaintools someone on here recommended one of these some time ago,so I bought one to use in a lightweight seatpack :-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2in1-Mini-Cyc ... 2c8260d1da
I had to wait awhile for delivery,looks a bit cheap, but it works well enough :)

Snap, it does work, I might test it again to be sure pushing out several links on an old chain then re-riveting that's the real test.