Broken chain

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
CJ

Re: Broken chain

Post by CJ »

brucelee wrote:Also does anyone think I could blag a warranty replacement ?

Definitely. And not under warranty. Sale of Goods Act trumps warranty, and under that any failure occurring within 6 months of purchase is assumed by default to be inherent, not the fault of the user. Go back to the shop and demand a replacement KMC joining link. They come in a pack of two (why? because they fail sometimes of course) so then you'll have a spare.

It shouldn't be hard to persuade the retailer that it'll be much less trouble simply to hand over the pack than go to court and try to convince a judge that you abused the bike by fitting those 'upgrade' pulleys - that won't have made one jot of a difference by the way.
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
brucelee

Post by brucelee »

Riddly sent me a 2-pack of missing links for free. Just as a follow up ---- When the link broke I had no 10sp missing links and so used the remaining 10sp half link and a new 9sp. Both KMC missing links. I know people will frown at this but it worked. Trick is to put the shorter pin from the 10 SP link on the leading end of the link. Worked as well as the original but the pin had to be driven out in order to remove. But you can get away with it, if push comes to shove.
CJ

Post by CJ »

brucelee wrote:Riddly sent me a 2-pack of missing links for free. Just as a follow up ---- When the link broke I had no 10sp missing links and so used the remaining 10sp half link and a new 9sp. Both KMC missing links. I know people will frown at this but it worked. Trick is to put the shorter pin from the 10 SP link on the leading end of the link. Worked as well as the original but the pin had to be driven out in order to remove. But you can get away with it, if push comes to shove.

A pity they sent you 9sp, but good thinking, well done!

No frown from me. As the French say - about ALL derailleur gears: C'est brutal, mais ça marche!
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

CJ wrote: .... As the French say - about ALL derailleur gears: C'est brutal, mais ça marche! (*)

I can't help but think that this quote might (or should) be incomplete, and should have had a caveat along the lines of

(*)...sauf en cas de rupture inexplicable de chaîne ...

ought to be in the small print somewhere...? :wink: :mrgreen:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

OK for the rough ones amongst us who may split open or rupture our skulls trying understand the Gaulish tongue.In English please?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

It's brutal, but it works (*)

(*) except in case of inexplicable chain breakage.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Brucey wrote:It's brutal, but it works (*)

(*) except in case of inexplicable chain breakage.

cheers

Merci beaucoup :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden