What Are The Benefits Of Attaching Your Feet To The Pedals ?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brucey

Re: What Are The Benefits Of Attaching Your Feet To The Peda

Post by Brucey »

owwww! :shock:

Hope you are all better now.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

The adjustment with ATAC is controlled by which way you put the cleats on. I've used nothing else and have always put my cleats on the easy way. I fell off at the very first T junction I stopped at, learnt my lesson and have never looked back.
Wish I'd had a rummage in your bin [emoji3]
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
pduffy9370

Post by pduffy9370 »

Brucey wrote:Hope you are all better now.

Yeah, the finger healed and is OK now. Thanks for asking :)

Paulatic wrote:The adjustment with ATAC is controlled by which way you put the cleats on.

Wish I'd known (and/or the cycle shop had told me.) It's a long time ago - but I don't remember there being any obvious way of changing the way the cleats were fitted to the shoes (other than moving the base plate backwards and forwards so the cleats were in the right spot in relation to the foot.) There were just two countersunk hex drive screws, which obviously had to be tight, or the cleats would have fallen off. (On the advice of one guy, I did file a bit off the cleats in the hopes of making them easier to unclip - but it didn't seem to do any good.

I wonder if it's possible that they've been redesigned since my experience with them?

Paulatic wrote: Wish I'd had a rummage in your bin

You would have been most welcome to whatever was within ;)
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I've used atacs since the nineties. Altering exit is done by swapping cleats to other foot. Though I think the default I.e. Right on rhs is the easy exit.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

As far as I am concerned that only benefit in attaching one's feet to the pedals is to keep them from slipping off. I do that with http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/zefal-zefal- ... prod20629/

I've tried clipless several times and never got on with them, even with professional set-up. I think it's a combination of things; I move my feet around on the pedals and I think my muscles need to be able to change position sometimes; I tend to pedal toe down, and more in the middle of my foot than most cleats can be set; I have a *really* hard time finding cyling shoes that fit

It might be possible for me to find some combination that works, but I've already spent far too much time and money on trying.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

I moved to time atac's from crank bros because both systems have the easiest exit angle of all mtb spd's that i've tried.

I have to say though that blaming the shop is a bit much, we all have a responsibility for our actions. a little bit of research would have shown there was two ways of fitting the cleats and allowed the opportunity to experiment.
--
Burls Ti Tourer for tarmac
Saracen aluminium full suss for trails.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

One point that's not been mentioned AFAIA is attaching child stoker's feet to pedals,I ride with my grandchildren on a childback tandem and find an absolute necessity to have their feet attached,spd's are pretty much out of the question from a cost POV,toeclips and straps are excellent set loose enough so they slip in and out easily enough but close enough small feet don't loose contact with pedals which could be dangerous.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

reohn2 wrote:One point that's not been mentioned AFAIA is attaching child stoker's feet to pedals,I ride with my grandchildren on a childback tandem and find an absolute necessity to have their feet attached,spd's are pretty much out of the question from a cost POV,toeclips and straps are excellent set loose enough so they slip in and out easily enough but close enough small feet don't loose contact with pedals which could be dangerous.

That's a good point. I do use toeclips and straps for the stoker's pedals on the tandem. I do them up fairly tight, as well. Though both my kids know to tell me right away if they lose a pedal, and to keep their feet out of the way until I can pause pedalling to let someone put a foot back in.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
reohn2 wrote:toeclips and straps are excellent set loose enough so they slip in and out easily enough but close enough small feet don't loose contact with pedals which could be dangerous.

The point you have made here is that set up this way makes clips and straps, even clips no straps very easy to use for anyone.
I don't do the straps up tight and usually allow the middle finger to slip under strap easy just touching, not tight.
This allows for good location back and forth, stops the feet falling off the side and with mtb shoes and even plastic serrated pedals a good safe grip, but importantly allows the foot to find its correct toe in / out.
When you press on pedal the grip between the shoe and pedal is positive to keep that natural position so no skilfull set up required.
On the return stroke the foot floats so there is no rigid restraint.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Vorpal wrote:That's a good point. I do use toeclips and straps for the stoker's pedals on the tandem. I do them up fairly tight, as well. Though both my kids know to tell me right away if they lose a pedal, and to keep their feet out of the way until I can pause pedalling to let someone put a foot back in.

Yes both children have been instructed similarly.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden