Volume of Slime for a 20"x 1.5" tyre?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
timdownieuk

Volume of Slime for a 20"x 1.5" tyre?

Post by timdownieuk »

As the rear wheel is a bit of a pain to remove in my Elliptigo (hub gear, bolted axle, mudguards fixed to axle etc.) I've decided to "Slime" my rear tube.

I would have bought a pre-filled tube but it doesn't look like they do a 20x1.5 with a presta valve. As it happens, I found the rear wheel punctured just this morning, repaired it with the wheel in situ only to fine that my Slime had arrived in the post whilst I had been out cycling!

Anyhow, the recommended dose for a "standard" bike (whatever that is) is 118ml per tyre. For a wheel barrow it's 237 so clearly volume is as important (or maybe width) as diameter. Anyone like to hazard a guess as to the right amount for my tyres?

Tim
timdownieuk

Re: Volume of Slime for a 20"x 1.5" tyre?

Post by timdownieuk »

mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Putting slime thru a presta valve? well as the eastern european trafficer said in the film Taken! "Good Luck!"
Bikefayre

Post by Bikefayre »

Comments removed!
Last edited by Bikefayre on 10 Feb 2015, 3:38pm, edited 1 time in total.
robgul

Post by robgul »

Don't do it would be my answer !

IF you get a flat then the tube is pretty much unrepairable ... so you might as well just fit a new one. IME slime type stuff doesn't appear to work ... but then how do you know if don't get any flats - they could be self-repairing?

The other aspect is the drag that the slime causes when riding, especially on smaller wheeled machines - dragging the liquid around the tyre as it rotates.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Si

Post by Si »

mercalia wrote:Putting slime thru a presta valve? well as the eastern european trafficer said in the film Taken! "Good Luck!"

I did it it on my folding bike. It was pretty easy for the second one...once I'd made the mistakes with the first!

The applicator that I had was for car-type valves (sorry, I can't spell schraeder) and thus too wide. This was easily remedied by wrapping masking tape around the end of the valve stem until the applicator was a tight push-on fit. To get it in there I just unscrewed and removed the valve insert from the valve body. Then blast it in there - making sure that you are in an open space with nothing of any value anywhere near by and that you have covered your rims. Take the masking tape off, screw the valve insert back in, and blow the tyre up, keeping the valve above the tyre at all times.
timdownieuk

Post by timdownieuk »

mercalia wrote:Putting slime thru a presta valve? well as the eastern european trafficer said in the film Taken! "Good Luck!"

Lots of videos on YouTube on how to do it. Not that tricky really.y

http://youtu.be/BnbLI_tLpLs

Tim
Last edited by timdownieuk on 30 Jan 2015, 4:49pm, edited 1 time in total.
timdownieuk

Post by timdownieuk »

robgul wrote:Don't do it would be my answer !

IF you get a flat then the tube is pretty much unrepairable ... so you might as well just fit a new one. IME slime type stuff doesn't appear to work ... but then how do you know if don't get any flats - they could be self-repairing?

The other aspect is the drag that the slime causes when riding, especially on smaller wheeled machines - dragging the liquid around the tyre as it rotates.

Rob

You're confusing the a Elliptigo with a bike. It's an exercise machine primarily. A bit of extra drag is no sweat.

Anecdotal reports that it *does* and *doesnt* work. The problem is that punctures can be incredibly random so it's hard to prove one way or another. I'm prepared to take the risk.

Tim
timdownieuk

Post by timdownieuk »

Bikefayre wrote:Personally would reccomend the Raleigh Puncture Resitant tube from amazon.co.uk It has no slime in it yet is as thick as a pound coin, so far when using these with a non puncture proof tyres never have any puncture s during the lifetime of the tyre. Fit this with a Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyre and you will never puncture again. It's easy enough to carefuly to drill an alloy rim
and finish the hole with a small round file to fit the larger valve.

Probably safe but it's a narrowish V section rim and I'm not prepared to risk weakening it.

Tim
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

is there any data re any increase in Crr with slime? Once up to speed I can't see how it could slow you down much any more than any other slightly heavier wheel would.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~