Memory Map bike GPS products

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
scotterdavid

Memory Map bike GPS products

Post by scotterdavid »

Hello,

I wondered if anyone on the forum had any experience of Memory Map products, and, if so, what their experiences had been like. Memory Map have recently at a couple of new GPS products on the market at reasonably competitive prices. They are the "bike 250 GPS" and the slight more pricey "bike 270 GPS". The later has ANT+ and so you can optionally use speed/cadence and heart rate sensors. I cannot find any independent reviews of these products. The only thing that I can say is that the company was really responsive and helpful as and when I contacted them -- which is a good sign. So does anyone have any experience of these GPS units or other Memory Map products? If so I would be interested to hear your thoughts, please.

Best regards,

David.
pioneer

Re: Memory Map bike GPS products

Post by pioneer »

If it's any use, I was given a Memory Map 3000 for Christmas. After spending ages doing research into what was available and teaming that to what I actually wanted a GPS device to do for me, I plumped for the MM 3000. And then, just before buying, the price dropped from £279.00 to £199.00 so I was doubly chuffed! It took a while to get my head around being a bit of a techno dinosaur, but now, I must say I'm thoroughly impressed with it and wish I'd got one sooner.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Memory Map OS maps are great because they mark all the pubs!

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

Really, I hadn't noticed....!
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

I have the Memory Map Adventurer 3500 and it's the biggest crap I have every bought as you can't see the screen in sunlight and if you knock the screen it can crack very easily just by tapping it, they use to have a forum, but they had to close it now with the amount of complaints and abuse from customer they received, so I do hope your is a lot better than mine.
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

Well yakdiver, so far so good. No idea about the unit in bright sunshine as I've forgotten what that is! I think the 3000 model is no more than a slightly larger 2800. I checked out loads of reviews on that and generally, the most recent reports were very good.
robgul

Post by robgul »

I researched various GPS gadgets before buying a Garmin Edge Touring with the OS maps as a bundle from Go Outdoors.

The Mem Map products were rejected on the basis of : price, battery life, the potential high price for any future upgrades, screen glare and the dubious service/back up that I've experienced from MemMap. The combined phone/gps looked attractive initially .... IIRC Chris Juden reviewed it fairly negatively not that long ago.

I've had the OS PC mapping since about with a few upgrades - the mapping is great BUT dealing with them for the odd technical question is frustrating ... they have an interesting user forum where the company deletes anything it doesn't want to hear!

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

And some of us just use our smartphones :D
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Lots of experience of MM products here. I can pretty much confirm what others have said. Great maps and software but rubbish customer service.

I've been using the maps, both OS and marine. for some time. About 5 years ago when I was planning my LEJOG I also invested in an Adventure 2800. OS maps on such a small screen are not the best solution on a bike but the system worked well for the End to End and the unit is useful for other activities like walking and kyaking.

I was looking at their bike computers the other day. Whilst there's no reason to suppose that they will be any less reliable than any other manufacturer's offerings, given their reputation for poor customer support, I'd think very carefully.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Gave uo totally...

The actual hardware leaked like aiseve, and the software on a Mac book required rebooting in a different mode every time it was used
Euramobilpete

Post by Euramobilpete »

Hi, I have persevered for 2 years now with this GPS unit and its never been reliable. Often stops in mid track and warns of an incorrect shut-down. The people at Memory map are defensive of the product and infer its your fault and you are using it incorrectly. The maps on my PC and the accompanying software are excellent but the unit is not. An admission from the company of its shortfalls would help and a large discount on an upgraded unit would have been appropriate. Overall I will not buy another Memory-Map unit. I am now the proud owner of a Garmin Oregon 600 which is in a different league.
robgul

Post by robgul »

Euramobilpete wrote:Hi, I have persevered for 2 years now with this GPS unit and its never been reliable. Often stops in mid track and warns of an incorrect shut-down. The people at Memory map are defensive of the product and infer its your fault and you are using it incorrectly. The maps on my PC and the accompanying software are excellent but the unit is not. An admission from the company of its shortfalls would help and a large discount on an upgraded unit would have been appropriate. Overall I will not buy another Memory-Map unit. I am now the proud owner of a Garmin Oregon 600 which is in a different league.

Don't hold your breath on anything helpful or remotely positive from Memory Map . .

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

Actually robgul, completely the opposite. I returned my unit after it refused to turn on in mid-tour, very annoying, but I had as usual taken all the relevant OS maps with me anyway. It came back about a week later. I didn't note the pattern number on the back so can't be sure it's the same unit. Anyhow, it works again now. I don't keep the routes I've ridden on PC or laptop, no point, but as a mobile mapping system on the bike, it suits my needs just fine.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Thought I'd add an plug for a similar product, the Satmap Active 10, with which I am delighted! The reason I've chipped in is because the MM products are broadly similar to the Active in what they set out to do, but with marked differences in underlying quality, both of the hardware and the support. My A10 has been great to use, never missing a beat and I've always had prompt, relevant support from their tech. team whenever I've needed it. No reboot needed on my MacBook, either, thank goodness.
The Satmap products are dearer than the MM gear, but from what I've read, it's a price worth paying.
Others, I know have had less than satisfactory results from Satmap gear, too, but I'm completely happy with mine, now I've solved one or two minor practical issues.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

Simon, the Active 10/12 was the first choice, but as happens all too often, it was out of my price range. But, at least two club members have the Active 10 and their units keep failing on rides due to battery issues. So there's good and bad with all systems it seems.

PS. I've now bought a Powerbank battery for my MM unit. I find that it's battery only lasts for approx. 5.5 hours max. (After speaking with the chaps at MM , this seems to be normal). With the Powerbank, I can use it all day. This unit also charges mobile phones, tablets, anything with a USB socket in fact.