waterproof bags/kayaking/sailing type

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
southerly

waterproof bags/kayaking/sailing type

Post by southerly »

17 years ago we bought 2 sets of Ortlieb rear panniers from my friend Elmer who owns a bike shop in Aachen, needless to say they were way cheaper than back in the UK. I look at Orliebs prices now and gulp :shock: I have carried some serious weight in those panniers when shopping and they only have a couple of holes in the bottoms, still completely useable.

My front panniers were never of the same quality and definately not waterproof. Whilst looking on the net for a bag to use on the back rack/day riding I came across these totally w/proof bags used in sailing/kayaking. Methinks a 30L one would fit nicely on the back rack - from less than £4 up to the best at £17/18.

Then the shape of these bags got me to thinking that 20L ones strapped to low riders they would make good front panniers to especially as the shape is quite aerodynamic - has anyone else had this idea and tried it :?:
DaveP

Re: waterproof bags/kayaking/sailing type

Post by DaveP »

I use one on my trailer. As waterproof bags they are absolutely fine. I expect they would be fine on top of a rack - perhaps get a large3 one and a small one to suit the needs of the day. The problem is going to be attaching them securely to a lowrider so that they can't drop off, and can't twist round and contact your wheel. Hard cases can be strapped tightly, squashy bags - well it doesn't really work.
The original Extrawheel trailers used a pair of them, one either side, slung in cargo nets. It might be possible to contrive something along those lines, but test it carefully. Front wheel lockups are nasty.
How about using your old panniers as a "holster"?
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
southerly

Re: waterproof bags/kayaking/sailing type

Post by southerly »

DaveP,
the shape of these bags is basically round which is good aerodynamically compared to standard front panniers. Support from underneath is required and the top strap which they all have can be velcro'd to the low rider top plate. there would need to be support around the bag as well.

I would imagine that they are very good used with a trailer, maybe 2 side by side. Certainly used on a back rack they can be removed and carried by the supplied shoulder straps. If I go ahead and try to use them as low rider bags I will post some pics.