Dipping my toe into a tandem

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
rjb

Re: Dipping my toe into a tandem

Post by rjb »

We sold on our Dawes super galaxy tandem about 4 years ago. It was a six speed model with d/t levers, suzue hubs ( notorious for broken axles) and we had it for over 20 years and clocked up over 100,000 very happy miles on it. Mrs rjb wasn't a cyclist when I bought it new but she took to it and really enjoyed it. When we sold it we purchased a Dawes Discovery from this forum. It was a revelation in every respect - more stable, comfortable, better brakes (V brakes) gears (8 spd combined brake gear levers) wheels with a free hub, and straight bars which provide easier handling - still have drops on all my other bikes.
I would consider hiring one for a day before you commit yourselves but we never looked back. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Rustydog

Post by Rustydog »

Make sure you have the pre nuptial in place as to who keeps the tandem should you both go solo one day :wink:
KFT

Post by KFT »

Make sure you have the pre nuptial in place as to who keeps the tandem should you both go solo one day :wink:

Easily solved with SJS couplings!!
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

KFT wrote:

Easily solved with SJS couplings!!

The tandemists' equivalent of the Wisdom of Solomon.
RickH

Post by RickH »

Not a cheap starter, but I really like my Circe Helios (despite earlier comments about avoiding small wheels :D ).

The small frame (the back is more like a BMX) means I have accommodated stoners from 4 years old to adult without modification (apart from crank shortened for the 4 year old). The 20" wheels make it significantly shorter - it will fit a rear rack on a car within the width of the mirrors & also fits in the bike space on most trains (it goes on a train trip most weeks). Running 55mm Big Apple tyres gives a comfortable ride (although the 47mm Marathons originally fitted weren't bad either). With the long rack, instead of the stoker's seat, it is a capable cargo bike too.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

RickH wrote:Not a cheap starter, but I really like my Circe Helios (despite earlier comments about avoiding small wheels :D ).

The small frame (the back is more like a BMX) means I have accommodated stoners from 4 years old to adult without modification (apart from crank shortened for the 4 year old). The 20" wheels make it significantly shorter - it will fit a rear rack on a car within the width of the mirrors & also fits in the bike space on most trains (it goes on a train trip most weeks). Running 55mm Big Apple tyres gives a comfortable ride (although the 47mm Marathons originally fitted weren't bad either). With the long rack, instead of the stoker's seat, it is a capable cargo bike too.

Rick.

:shock:
MGate

Post by MGate »

Don't know where you are based but I have a Dawes Horizon tandem, ok a bit old, but a good intro to tandems none the less. I'm in North Yorks, you are welcome to come and borrow it for a week or two or even three as it doesn't see much use at the moment. May not be right for you but will help you decide what you want.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

MGate wrote:Don't know where you are based but I have a Dawes Horizon tandem, ok a bit old, but a good intro to tandems none the less. I'm in North Yorks, you are welcome to come and borrow it for a week or two or even three as it doesn't see much use at the moment. May not be right for you but will help you decide what you want.

South Wales & Bristol - I made a similar offer earlier in the thread :)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

RickH wrote:Not a cheap starter, but I really like my Circe Helios (despite earlier comments about avoiding small wheels :D ).

Rick.

FWIW,I've always thought the Circe Helios a capable tandem ever since seeing the prototype parked outside a cafe in York some years back.I was even more impressed after having chat with it's owner/designer and his wife.
We never did get to ride it due to Mrs R2's absolute aversion to small wheeled bikes :roll:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden