Looking for a suspension seat post

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
scotterdavid

Looking for a suspension seat post

Post by scotterdavid »

Hello,

I'm looking for a suitable suspension seat post for my wife's bike. There isn't much seat post showing above the frame -- I measured 60 mm from the frame to the base of the seat clamp. This is quite short -- much to short for the USE Vybe post (recommended by another member) for example and that is a pity. Could anyone please recommend a suspension post that could work on my wife's bike? I suspect I'm going to draw a blank here since 60 mm doesn't provide enough room for a suspension post to work well, however it is worth asking and so I would interested to hear what your thoughts are.

Best regards,

David.
DaveP

Re: Looking for a suspension seat post

Post by DaveP »

You need 100mm protruding to be able to use a Thudbuster, so that's out as well...
The easy solution might be a sprung saddle: http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/saddles-broo ... pt775_pg1/
They might look a bit olde worlde , but they are still quite popular. Used ones don't hang around on 't bay!
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
Brucey

Re: Looking for a suspension seat post

Post by Brucey »

some suspension seat posts have a saddle attachment that is clamped on to a round (or sometimes square etc) shaft. Normally this piece remains undisturbed but you can remove the attachment piece. If you can then adapt the top of the seat post so that it becomes 7/8" dia (22.2mm) then you can use an old-style saddle clip.

If you have followed me thus far you will be wondering 'why'... :shock: :shock:

-well for starters, you can often use such a clip upside down and this will get you a few extra mm of clearance.

-second it may be possible to shorten the shaft slightly and either fit an old-style clip as above, or re-use the old saddle attachment.

hth

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~