Cable disc brake comparison.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
reohn2

Cable disc brake comparison.

Post by reohn2 »

I've been riding a new Gensis Longitude for just over 100miles,which has the new TRP Spyke 160mm disc brakes fitted.Due to the weather,I've been riding it in some pretty mucky conditions,the rotors aren't quite run in to optimum yet IMO,the brakes are powerful enough,but wearing down the front pads at a rate of knots,needing adjusting sometimes three times per ride.
The only time I've experienced such a wear rate with BB7's/organinc was on an extremely mucky sludgy ride once when I could feel the lever getting closer to the bar with each application of the brake :shock:
Out on the Vaya yesterday on a pretty clean ride,what struck me was the power of the BB7's(same 160mm size rotor)which I have to say felt a lot more powerful than the Spykes.
I don't want to make premature judgements but considering the Spykes are on compressionless outers,and the BB7's are on ordinary outers (even the tandem)I've never felt were were lacking in power after a run in period of perhaps 50 miles of use.

Much is being crowed by TRP about the Spyke's double pad actuation,which doesn't seem to make much difference to brake power,though I could be wrong in the long run.
There's a plus with the Spykes and Spyres (which are the same brake but for dropbars levers),in that they're lower profile and don't stick out past frame members making mudguard and rack fitting easier.
To pay for that they are much wider inboard,this isn't a problem on the rear as there's plenty clearance between caliper and spokes due to wheel dish,however on the front,the wheel dish is steeper on the disc side which means clearance isn't good.
The G/L is a 29er,26in wheels maybe slightly better due to better dish because of the smaller diameter rim.
When I took delivery of the bike the clearance between caliper and spokes on the front wheel was less than 2mm with the inner pad backed right off :shock: .
I wasn't happy with that,so I shimmed out the rotor with six washers behind it and realigning the caliper,increasing the clearance by a further 2mm which I'm a bit more comfortable with,though I'd prefer it were more :? .
I could be worrying unnecessarily but pinch points on front wheels aren't healthy,especially offroad.

This is by no means a thorough comparison as the Spykes performance may improve yet,though if I can lock a wheel up it's all the power I need,if I can lock it up predictably with a good degree of modulation it's a good brake,both the Spykes and BB7's provide this but the BB7's feel more positive ATM,though the Spykes may improve.
It won't be long before the front Spyke needs new front pads,I've bought some sintered pads(originals are organic)so I'll see if they last any longer,experience with BB7's tells they will.
Watch this space.
Last edited by reohn2 on 27 Jan 2015, 11:46am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
stewartpratt

Re: comparing disc brake calipers(limited)

Post by stewartpratt »

Having used BB7s (MTN and Road) quite a bit and recently started using Spyres, the one thing I'd point out is that the outer (I went from stock Shimano SLR to Jagwire Racer) made a *huge* difference to the performance of my Spyres. Huge.

I don't think I find a massive difference between BB7s and Spyres in terms of outright performance once the outer is sorted, but the Spyres probably just about edge it in terms of feel (with 5700 levers, anyway, compared to BB7s with 4600s). To my mind neither is more or less fiddly to set up, the BB7s perhaps a little easier once you have the knack, but I do think the dual piston mechanism is a small improvement in terms of being able to prevent any rubbing whilst achieving the bite point that I want. The inboard width is definitely a potential issue: I think mine is about 1mm from the spokes… :shock:
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

stewartpratt wrote: The inboard width is definitely a potential issue: I think mine is about 1mm from the spokes… :shock:

are your spokes moving? :shock:

Its about the same on my TRP HY-RD's, its never occured to me that its an issue :?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
grani

Re: Cable disc brake comparison.

Post by grani »

foxyrider wrote:
stewartpratt wrote: The inboard width is definitely a potential issue: I think mine is about 1mm from the spokes… :shock:

Its about the same on my TRP HY-RD's, its never occured to me that its an issue :?

Me neither. I shimmed the front disc out because the caliper touched the spokes on my SP dynamo hub but haven't really thought that the tight clearance is a problem.

The pads that came with the Spyres are very soft but mine have nonetheless done about 4000 miles of commuting in all weather on sealed and unsealed tracks and roads. The rear will need changing soon and I will probably get sintered pads. EBC Gold are supposedly good.

I agree that there isn't much difference between BB7 and the Spyres. For me the Spyres just about shade it because I could fit a regular rack and with my 105 5700 they have excellent stopping power in all weathers and very good modulation.

I adjust the pads about every 1-2 months and it takes 5 min so I don't think that it is excessive maintenance.
stewartpratt

Post by stewartpratt »

foxyrider wrote:are your spokes moving? Its about the same on my TRP HY-RD's, its never occured to me that its an issue :?

If I thought it was an issue I wouldn't be riding it :)

It's closer than I'd like. A poorly-seated axle in the dropouts or an undertightened QR might cause an issue, but otherwise it's little more than a surprising design decision to go that far inboard. That's the largest gap I can set it up with; the caliper is as outboard as it will go. Spacing the rotor would be a little less straightforward, too, as I'm using Centerlocks.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

foxyrider wrote:

I can think of situations where it could be though.
W H Auden
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

reohn2 wrote:I've been riding a new Gensis Longitude for just over 100miles,which has the new TRP Spyke 160mm disc brakes fitted.Due to the weather,I've been riding it in some pretty mucky conditions,the rotors aren't quite run in to optimum yet IMO,the brakes are powerful enough,but wearing down the front pads at a rate of knots,needing adjusting sometimes three times per ride....

ah, well, that'll be because what you are riding there is basically an MTB in disguise; those chubsome tyres will throw up all kinds of clarty rubbish and organic pads just won't cut it for long... I think sintered ones will last much longer.

Call me a pessimist if you like, but I expect your transmission to clap out similarly prematurely.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Brucey wrote:
reohn2 wrote:I've been riding a new Gensis Longitude for just over 100miles,which has the new TRP Spyke 160mm disc brakes fitted.Due to the weather,I've been riding it in some pretty mucky conditions,the rotors aren't quite run in to optimum yet IMO,the brakes are powerful enough,but wearing down the front pads at a rate of knots,needing adjusting sometimes three times per ride....

ah, well, that'll be because what you are riding there is basically an MTB in disguise; those chubsome tyres will throw up all kinds of clarty rubbish and organic pads just won't cut it for long... I think sintered ones will last much longer.

Without doubt.

Call me a pessimist if you like, but I expect your transmission to clap out similarly prematurely.

cheers

I'm no stranger to getting bikes and drivetrains mucky,I find they don't do too badly providing they are kept reasonably clean :) .
W H Auden