chain lubricant testing

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brucey

chain lubricant testing

Post by Brucey »

I found this report available online

http://www.lillylube.com/uploads/Link_to_Velo_Article.pdf

which details the drive efficiency of 25 lubricants under laboratory conditions, on a straight chain run. The tests were carried out using 'friction facts' test equipment.

Obviously it says nothing about the longevity of the lubes under real-world conditions (or indeed the efficiency if the drive chain is offset... :roll: :wink: ) but it makes for interesting reading.

Also of interest is this report

http://velonews.competitor.com/files/2013/03/dry_chain_efficiency_1.pdf

which contains results that show very clearly what happens if you really clean a chain and remove all the lube from it. Doubtless the friction would be even worse in a non-straight chain run.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
recordacefromnew

Re: chain lubricant testing

Post by recordacefromnew »

As you probably know Friction Facts have also published a home brew, waxy lube allegedly no worse than the best on that list. But of course the interesting page is:

http://www.friction-facts.com/test-resu ... rt-package

showing various ranges of possibilities, but apparently not having bothered with examining chainline offset, although their rig has a 2 inch offset facility.. :wink:
recordacefromnew

Brucey wrote: Doubtless the friction would be even worse in a non-straight chain run.

cheers

Hang on a minute, worse than what? Hope you are not implying a normally lubed chain offset is worse than one stripped completely of lube. The fact remains no result exists, despite at least 3 sets if independent research results, to demonstrate chainline offset consumes more than c1W over an input range to in excess of 300W. Or do you disagree?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

of course I disagree with most of that (but no, not that a lubed chain is ever worse than an unlubed one....!); much of what you say is based on bad conclusions drawn from bad experiments, or simply taken out of context, I suspect.

I don't think I've done a very good job of demonstrating the converse conclusively but there is clear evidence in the (limited) data that others have generated that shows that chain offsets increase friction, and furthermore that the percentages are significant; similar to the differences you get with differences in chain lube, for example.

I'm not entirely disagreeing with some of your earlier comments BTW but I'd suggest that you have another look at Spicer's data (the numbers, not the words; in particular look at the offset vs straight run 52/21 data, and ask yourself what the 52/11 and 52/15 offsets would have been exactly..). Look at Kyle and Berto's data properly (in particular the same sprocket/large vs small chainring data). Have another look at the Rohloff data (same thing). All these reports are flawed BTW, but there are still things in them that are useful, just not always (or only) the things that the authors thought were useful or drew as their conclusions. I think they all show a statistically significant relationship between offset and efficiency. For various reasons this has gone either unnoticed or unexplored; this is not the same thing at all as it simply not existing!

Ask yourself how you can chafe the sides of a chain and sprocket etc to smithereens (as you do running an offset chain run) without it incurring a significant efficiency penalty. It is just nonsense. Honestly, if you suggested running an offset like that to (say) a motorbike racer and tried to tell him 'it wouldn't cost any bhp', he'd just wet his pants laughing at you, it is that nonsensical. Just like the idea that a genuinely unlubed chain is still 'just as efficient'. Of course it isn't, it is obvious nonsense, just bad conclusions drawn from bad science, all masquerading as something else.

cheers
recordacefromnew

I think you have explained very well indeed given the lack of evidence (and indeed imho with overwhelming evidence against). I have just looked at Spicer’s data again, it seems they all demonstrate no more than c1%/1W offset loss to me.

It is true that chains do have wear at side plates, but then gear change, especially the front, is a brutal, metal on metal, crunchy business. One can also not rely on gears running perfectly indexed all the time. Perhaps the relevant question is if frictional loss being a major loss for a bicycle chain offset regularly what should we have seen?

Side plate failures perhaps, i.e. so worn that a VERY worn chain would not simply be “stretched”. I have seen a number of VERY worn chains with each and every pin having a clear chunk worn away to give rise to the “stretch”, but I have never seen a side plate worn down to anywhere near approaching mechanical failure.

So mechanically how can one explain the lack of such wear/inefficiency from chainline offset? I confess I am now only guessing, but perhaps it is due to the shape of the teeth - laterally they are all pyramidal, so the relatively wide base of each tooth typically would always guide and line up the next chain link along to ensure minimal rub of the next tooth on the next side plate at each initial link/tooth engagement. I run an 8x1 full size folder with 43mm chainline (for no better reason than I happened to have a decent 115mm UN72 at hand) on a 135mm hub, I have never noticed any difference in chain noise in different gears.

If your conjecture is true, the other thing I would expect to have seen is a queue of researchers lining up to broadcast Spicer’s conclusion being wrong. Instead 15 years have now passed, and no one has. I trust you would agree: a) it would have been perfect ammunition for Rohloff, and b) he did try hard to find ammunitions to support his hub gear; it would also have been valuable to Jason Smith at Friction Facts to highlight the precision and utility of his rig(s)/experiment(s) being able to debunk such a long-standing conclusion. I was a researcher once - few things are more desirable to a researcher than being able to slaughter a sacred cow or two...

Does it not occur to you that it would be surprising/unlikely indeed for someone to jump up now and say a decent bicycle chain in a high power, high tension scenario expends a significant % of power due to typical offset within a rear cluster, given their continual application in racing costing £XXX millions p.a. where winners and losers are often separated by mere fraction of a second? Wouldn’t you have thought road racers, especially sprinters, would all want their large ring lining up with their small sprocket?

It seems to me that on top of the sets of published data, circumstantial evidence also strongly suggests chainline offset being meaningfully inefficient is a myth.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Pity the report doesn't test any 'green' products! http://www.wiggle.co.uk/green-oil-ecolo ... 60297826uk

Or did I miss summat? I'll go and fluff up my fluffy bunnies....hc
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

This test is pure comedy.
I should coco.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

recordacefromnew wrote:I think you have explained very well indeed given the lack of evidence (and indeed imho with overwhelming evidence against). I have just looked at Spicer’s data again, it seems they all demonstrate no more than c1%/1W offset loss to me.

well amongst other things it says;
52/21 (no offset, 60rpm 100W) 95.0%.
52/21 (offset, 60rpm, 100W) 93.8%.

Or to put it another way the losses (the thing we are really interested in) increased by about 25%. I have no idea why he ignored this, but he did. I don't think it would be fair to lump in the data with the other tests without allowing for the degree of offset; this would have been a lot smaller for the 52/11T gear, even so the efficiency was lower with offset here, too. Spicer also ignored time-dependant changes in losses. He (and everyone else it seems) has also ignored the possibility that even-numbered chainrings (or sprockets) can give two distinctly different types of result with any slightly imperfect chain, depending on which teeth see inner and outer sideplates.

In Kyle and Berto's work we see the following results @ 200W;

sprocket...Eff 22T....Eff 44T...difference%... differenceW
12.............91.9......93.7......+1.8%............3.6W
16.............93.9......95.5......+1.6%............3.2W
26.............94.5......93.9......-0.6%.............1.2W
34.............95.0......94.2......-0.8%.............1.6W

you can see there is a trend of increased efficiency with improved chainline in both directions. Other factors are certainly at work too but would not be excepted to show the same pattern. I think you will see the same kind of thing (comparing efficiency on each sprocket) in the Rohloff data too, but it is less clear-cut because they did not report all the data from all the gears.

None of this data is at loads that represent real pedalling of course, but even so the data suggests significant variations in efficiency with chainline.

It is true that chains do have wear at side plates, but then gear change, especially the front, is a brutal, metal on metal, crunchy business. One can also not rely on gears running perfectly indexed all the time.

the chain is under a low load at the rear mech. At the front mech the wear would be concentrated in one place on the front mech (vs spread over many links on the chain) but the only time you see worn front mechs is when they have been rubbing in normal running, not through shifting. The chain wear during shifting is likely very small. The chain wears laterally most of all on the top run under tension, obviously.

Perhaps the relevant question is if frictional loss being a major loss for a bicycle chain offset regularly what should we have seen? Side plate failures perhaps, i.e. so worn that a VERY worn chain would not simply be “stretched”. I have seen a number of VERY worn chains with each and every pin having a clear chunk worn away to give rise to the “stretch”, but I have never seen a side plate worn down to anywhere near approaching mechanical failure.

another false syllogism. 0.05mm wear on the sideplates will not compromise the chain strength, yet constitutes more material loss than you would need to cause 2% 'stretch' in the bushings.

So mechanically how can one explain the lack of such wear/inefficiency from chainline offset? I confess I am now only guessing, but perhaps it is due to the shape of the teeth - laterally they are all pyramidal, so the relatively wide base of each tooth typically would always guide and line up the next chain link along to ensure minimal rub of the next tooth on the next side plate at each initial link/tooth engagement. I run an 8x1 full size folder with 43mm chainline (for no better reason than I happened to have a decent 115mm UN72 at hand) on a 135mm hub, I have never noticed any difference in chain noise in different gears.

In spicer's work the chain was almost certainly coated with some kind of anti-friction coating; that much is clear from the alleged 'no lube' results. It would have mitigated the rubbing in the offset gears, too, for a while, anyway. If you set up a singlespeed with derailleur chain and sprockets, offset, and apply a decent tension to it, it is very noisy; you mightn't hear it going down the road though. I'm sure that tooth shapes make a difference, and so do chain sideplate shapes. But you can't entirely escape the lateral loading; this has to cause rubbing, and this is why sprockets, chains and chainrings wear as they do.

If your conjecture is true, the other thing I would expect to have seen is a queue of researchers lining up to broadcast Spicer’s conclusion being wrong. Instead 15 years have now passed, and no one has. I trust you would agree: a) it would have been perfect ammunition for Rohloff, and b) he did try hard to find ammunitions to support his hub gear; it would also have been valuable to Jason Smith at Friction Facts to highlight the precision and utility of his rig(s)/experiment(s) being able to debunk such a long-standing conclusion. I was a researcher once - few things are more desirable to a researcher than being able to slaughter a sacred cow or two...

Does it not occur to you that it would be surprising/unlikely indeed for someone to jump up now and say a decent bicycle chain in a high power, high tension scenario expends a significant % of power due to typical offset within a rear cluster, given their continual application in racing costing £XXX millions p.a. where winners and losers are often separated by mere fraction of a second? Wouldn’t you have thought road racers, especially sprinters, would all want their large ring lining up with their small sprocket?

Far from being a sacred cow, certain of Spicer's results may well have been deemed so ludicrous by others that they are not deemed worthy of slaughtering. His report does contain some useful stuff, just nothing useful about chain offset. That offset chain runs are inefficient falls into the realms of 'obviousness'; the real question is 'how much' and to date no-one has really grasped that nettle in a meaningful way. I'd expect Jason to demonstrate this at some point, provided his rig can be adapted and he is still keen.

Rohloff's tests were simple tests to compare a derailleur system with a hubgear, rather than to understand exactly why derailleur systems are inefficient per se. Arguably they cynically used the worst (least efficient) derailleur ratios in their report to show the IGH in a good light. They had no interest in explaining why derailleurs are inefficient, or improving the derailleur results in any way; to have done so would have exposed their (rather clumsy) sleight of hand.

Kyle and Berto's report was effectively sponsored by Browning, and their pitch was 'like a derailleur but shifts better' more or less. Again no real interest in exposing or explaining derailleur losses there! Looking at figure 12 (titled 'Derailleur type transmissions compared with hub gears') it looks as if the derailleur transmissions are the most efficient by far. However elsewhere in the same report there are other hub gear results which are omitted from figure 12, which clearly show that a humble three speed IGH is actually just as efficient on average (and perhaps moreso when you account for the typical duty cycle in each gear) than most derailleur systems. Again I have no doubt that the sponsors of the work had no interest in exposing the existence/origins of any losses in a derailleur system; arguably they did their best to hide these losses, judging by the crazy way the data is presented in that report; (it took me over half an hour to decipher their data to produce the simple table above, BTW).

Racers have long worried about chainline and for good reason; one or two percent makes a difference which is why pro mechanics have long used special setups for time trials etc which are aimed at reducing losses to an absolute minimum. They don't go on about it because they wish to retain their competitive advantage and they are after all, in league with the manufacturers who want you to buy one 'just like Wiggos' etc... :roll:

It seems to me that on top of the sets of published data, circumstantial evidence also strongly suggests chainline offset being meaningfully inefficient is a myth.

well I disagree on all counts. Maybe I have not explained myself very well but the signs are there for anyone who can be bothered to look for them. I think the subject definitely deserves some further study.

cheers
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

Heltor Chasca wrote:Pity the report doesn't test any 'green' products! http://www.wiggle.co.uk/green-oil-ecolo ... 60297826uk

They tested extra virgin olive oil! Is there any reason why it would not make a good lube? It's not like it needs a high smoking point for use on the bike. Or perhaps sunflower oil would be better.
maxcherry

Post by maxcherry »

But labs are not the roads, with all the crud and what not's that go with it.

Back in my day it was Fairy liquid and what ever was in the shed.
Honestly chaps, I'm a female!
Heltor Chasca

chain lubricant testing

Post by Heltor Chasca »

CREPELLO wrote:
Heltor Chasca wrote:Pity the report doesn't test any 'green' products! http://www.wiggle.co.uk/green-oil-ecolo ... 60297826uk

They tested extra virgin olive oil! Is there any reason why it would not make a good lube? It's not like it needs a high smoking point for use on the bike. Or perhaps sunflower oil would be better.

Very good and no reason you're wrong. Friends who were touring with a Mexican friend of theirs said he would 'skip-dive' and lube up with used motor oil. Didn't stop him going round the World...b

EDIT: groundnut oil would be good in temperate climates wouldn't it?
recordacefromnew

Brucey wrote:
recordacefromnew wrote:I think you have explained very well indeed given the lack of evidence (and indeed imho with overwhelming evidence against). I have just looked at Spicer’s data again, it seems they all demonstrate no more than c1%/1W offset loss to me.

well amongst other things it says;
52/21 (no offset, 60rpm 100W) 95.0%.
52/21 (offset, 60rpm, 100W) 93.8%.

Or to put it another way the losses (the thing we are really interested in) increased by about 25%. I have no idea why he ignored this, but he did. I don't think it would be fair to lump in the data with the other tests without allowing for the degree of offset; this would have been a lot smaller for the 52/11T gear, even so the efficiency was lower with offset here, too. Spicer also ignored time-dependant changes in losses. He (and everyone else it seems) has also ignored the possibility that even-numbered chainrings (or sprockets) can give two distinctly different types of result with any slightly imperfect chain, depending on which teeth see inner and outer sideplates.

In Kyle and Berto's work we see the following results @ 200W;

sprocket...Eff 22T....Eff 44T...difference%... differenceW
12.............91.9......93.7......+1.8%............3.6W
16.............93.9......95.5......+1.6%............3.2W
26.............94.5......93.9......-0.6%.............1.2W
34.............95.0......94.2......-0.8%.............1.6W

you can see there is a trend of increased efficiency with improved chainline in both directions. Other factors are certainly at work too but would not be excepted to show the same pattern. I think you will see the same kind of thing (comparing efficiency on each sprocket) in the Rohloff data too, but it is less clear-cut because they did not report all the data from all the gears.

In reporting Spicer's figures you have omitted his 52-15 non-offset figures taken at the same time as his offset figures, which he indicated he needed for normalisation of the offset figures. Your conclusion regarding Kyle and Berto's figures is also not correct, because I think you implicitly imply e.g. the 34T has the least offset for the 22T small front ring, when in fact that is not the case. I don't know what his front chainline was, but from the first table below you can tell it is 26T or less. If you follow that logic, and concentrate on the results from the larger sprockets I have reproduced in the second table below for the reasons I mentioned previously, you would quickly conclude that the safest conclusion from their figures is that efficiency variation from chainline offset can actually be positive, or negative but in any case small!

Nevertheless my feeling is you will never admit this until you arrive at it from your own experiment, or someone else's experimental or theoretical result confirming your belief.

MartinC

Post by MartinC »

All this discussion about he 'research' is very entertaining and of interest. It seems to suffer from the same affliction that affects many of the studies that we have available. First you need a lot of data and experiment to identify all he factors that impact the topic (be it chain efficiency, tyre pressure, whatever) then some experiments that isolate each factor and quantify it. Without this you just have a small set of data points. Off the top of my head I can think of many factors that will affect chain efficiency (lubricant, chain flexibility, sprocket and chainring profile, material (and many other aspects of manufacture), tension, chainwrap, etc., etc.). Unless you've identified and quantified all of these claiming you have some figures for offset chain efficiency is a fairy story.

Intuitively it would seem that offset would generate more friction and wear and it's interesting that the small dataset that someone has doesn't reflect this but I wouldn't draw any definitive conclusion from either. Presumably if the conventional wisdom becomes that chainline doesn't matter then we can all indulge ourselves in knocking it down. In the meantime it seems sensible to run with the best chainline you can.
recordacefromnew

MartinC wrote:Intuitively it would seem that offset would generate more friction and wear and it's interesting that the small dataset that someone has doesn't reflect this but I wouldn't draw any definitive conclusion from either. Presumably if the conventional wisdom becomes that chainline doesn't matter then we can all indulge ourselves in knocking it down. In the meantime it seems sensible to run with the best chainline you can.

I certainly would not quarrel with this, but there are actually 3 separate datasets not one in case you are unaware, and the thing is folks here seem to have gone as far as proposing and indeed custom built asymmetric rear triangle to reduce rear chainline while employing 135mm rear hub, and chainline offset loss is a very common argument indeed for triples and against Nx1... despite evidence indicates one might be better off using e.g. better and/or 15T jockey wheels! :roll: :D
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

recordacefromnew wrote: . Your conclusion regarding Kyle and Berto's figures is also not correct, because I think you implicitly imply e.g. the 34T has the least offset for the 22T small front ring, when in fact that is not the case. I don't know what his front chainline was, but from the first table below you can tell it is 26T or less. If you follow that logic, and concentrate on the results from the larger sprockets I have reproduced in the second table below for the reasons I mentioned previously, you would quickly conclude that the safest conclusion from their figures is that efficiency variation from chainline offset can actually be positive, or negative but in any case small!

Nevertheless my feeling is you will never admit this until you arrive at it from your own experiment, or someone else's experimental or theoretical result confirming your belief.

well I didn't imply anything of the sort re K&B's chainline; once again you are obfuscating the issue by drawing inferences that are in no way warranted. As I mentioned there are other things going on and the efficiency is expected to improve whenever the sprocket size increases for a variety of reasons. Nonetheless there is a trend in the results with improving chainline (for each sprocket; there is no point in comparing data for different sprockets directly because of meshing variations.... :roll: :roll: ) that cannot easily be explained in any other way. [ BTW there is absolutely no point in quoting Kyle and Berto's 32T chainring results either because there is obviously something odd going on there; even K&B said so.]

Spicer's work is flawed in a number of respects; if you are looking at 4-5% losses and your measurements vary by more than 1% for any reason then what you don't do is conclude (from one or two data points) that one of the possible reasons is 'not significant' without further experimental evidence; particularly not when the data you have got shows a positive trend with a known source of inefficiency!!! Bad science!!!!!!

If you or other people want to believe (and/or try and justify) fairy stories (about no lubricant being OK, or chainline etc) dressed up as science that is your lookout. But to try and use those as 'proof' that bad chainlines etc don't affect efficiency is in no way justified. If anything the evidence points in the other direction, and for good reason.

Once again I should remind you that none of these tests have been carried out at loads that accurately represent the peak loads that occur in bicycle transmissions; most riders are capable of bearing their full bodyweight (briefly) on the pedals and this generates loads of several hundred lbs in the chain; AFAICT far higher than any used in research to date .

Jason's efficiency data (elsewhere) is plotted vs power up to ~300W (so similar to 150W for a real cyclist) and it shows the same thing as K&B's skimpy data set; over about 300W (continuous) the efficiency plateaus. You can't see this clearly in Spicer's data because he didn't do the right tests and those he did do he plotted on a 1/T axis (for no good reason... hey why not plot log/log... 'look at my nice straight line..!' :roll: :roll: :roll: ). The available data looks just what you would expect to see if the chain losses are dominated by hydrodynamic losses as per the Stribeck curve, but clearly none of these researchers have heard of it or wanted to draw any comparisons to it. More to the point the losses look just like those you get as you are about to fall off the HD part of the stribeck curve; you couldn't have any more justification for concluding that experiments at higher loads were required, but not one of these daft blighters spotted that; maybe it is a case of not being able to see the woods for the trees.

If you slip off to the left of the Stribeck curve even briefly, the losses immediately go up and they stay up even at lower loads; you will generate wear debris and this will be wearing the chain (much as if it is already dirty) even when it is 'clean'.

This will almost certainly occur at lower chain tensions whenever the chain is angled, because the effective bushing area is reduced. That chains don't always run in HD mode is probably obvious; even well-lubricated chains that are perfectly clean do wear, and they wear far faster than they would if they were running in HD mode.

Now, bike chains are more flexible than other roller chains, but if you look at the alignment tolerances for other roller chains they are fairly tight; no-one else thinks that running chains at an angle is a good idea. So Martin's pragmatic conclusion is one I endorse.

I would expect any decent piece of research in this field (i.e. one that is carried out sensibly, isn't riven with commercial interest, is clearly reported etc) to be able to show what is really going on here; as it is, the case isn't proven but the data has trends in it that have not been investigated fully. That I expect such research to emerge from a bloke's basement rather than a university department is slightly depressing; it probably tells you everything you need to know about academia today.

cheers