Replacing All Major Components on my Ridgeback Storm

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
djk044-CTC

Replacing All Major Components on my Ridgeback Storm

Post by djk044-CTC »

Hi - first post.

Brought new 2006 (it’s been a great bike), it has the Dore setup / components

All these components have now worn out - Shifters / brake, bottom bracket, all 3 chainrings, 8 speed cassette, chain, front / rear derailleurs.

All that’s worth keeping are the rims + hubs which have been replaced over the years and maybe the Dore FC-M510 crank arms.

I have a new bike, another Ridgeback, I want to use the Storm as a Station bike, I not need the Dore level of components – I was thinking using Acera components and the Dore FC-M510 crank arms.

I can change / swap out parts etc. – so no issue’s there, I am just confused by what is out there to buy and do not know what to buy. I want to keep costs down as it will be left at the Station all day.

My questions are

1, Should I keep the Dore FC-M510 crank arms and fit new chainrings – what chainrings would fit (I want to keep costs down). Or Should I buy a complete new chain set?

3, Can anyone recommend Acera level components I could use (Shifters / brake, bottom bracket, all chainrings, 8 speed cassette, chain, front / rear derailleurs)

Thank You for your help David.
gaz

Re: Replacing All Major Components on my Ridgeback Storm

Post by gaz »

Welcome to the forum.

1) Spa Cycles 104 or XD2 take some beating price wise. You'll need a square taper BB.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

^ +1

you can't go wrong at that kind of price for acera bits and they are mostly OK for your intended use.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
djk044-CTC

Post by djk044-CTC »

“and they are mostly OK for your intended use” and I agree, it’s now a very tatty “Rat Rod”, so I hope no one will look at / touch it etc.

I hear what you say, its 2 miles each which way, no way I am going to leave my new £££ replacement at the station.

Great input - £105 - job done

Products included in this kit :
Shimano Acera 9 Speed Octalink Crankset 48/36/26T 175mm Silver : FCM391 - RRP £49.99
Shimano Acera 9 Speed Rear Mech (Long cage) Silver : RDM390 - RRP £29.99
Shimano Acera 9 Speed Front Mech (Top swing) : FDM390 - RRP £19.99
Shimano Acera 27 Speed Gear Shifter Pods Black : SLM390 - RRP £29.99
Shimano Octalink Bottom Bracket 68 x 118 : ES25 - RRP £19.99
Shimano 9 Speed Deore Chain : HG53 - RRP £19.99
Shimano 9 Speed 11/34 Cassette : HG30 - RRP £24.99

Thank you, tim_f
recordacefromnew

Post by recordacefromnew »

A couple of years ago I would have agreed with the others above but not anymore. I know it is not exactly answering your question, but it makes no sense today to spend £110 just on the drivetrain to refurbish a 2006 commuter given you still have to add cabling, grips, saddle etc while you can order a brand new Hoprider 500 from decathlon with the same stuff but all brand new with good warranty for £199 and it comes with dynamo hub and rack and you can still flock your Ridgeback for probably 50 notes.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/hoprider-500 ... 22609.html

Unless of course if fettling is your thing and you enjoy doing it for less than nothing.
djk044-CTC

Post by djk044-CTC »

It’s shiny and new, that’s why I do not want my station bike to stand out, plus I have the Storm from new, yes I know, I would like to keep it.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

the Hoprider is good value, but if you want it to work well for any length of time it will still need TLC. Some of the (hidden) parts on it are not of good quality and will fail regardless of what you do with them. The warranty is something, but it won't cover every problem and is not useful unless you happen to live near a decathlon store.

TBH I'd probably do what the OP is proposing too but there is always more than one way of skinning a cat...

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
531colin

Post by 531colin »

djk044-CTC wrote:................., its 2 miles each which way, no way I am going to leave my new £££ replacement at the station..........

Right from the start of this thread, I've been thinking "he would be better off to get a secondhand bike....many can be had virtually unused for next-to-nothing".
Now I'm thinking....ditch the gears, for a 2 mile trip run it singlespeed....the old R mech. will do as a chain tensioner, get a steel front ring and a cassette to singlespeed conversion kit, then there is very little drivetrain to replace next time. Chains corrode like fun outside the station.