Tiagra Sport dynamo

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
DarkNewt

Tiagra Sport dynamo

Post by DarkNewt »

Has anyone tried one of these?

Tiagra Bike Charge Dynamo

http://www.ibikeconsole.com/itm/689965/ ... amo-BC-002

claims to fit to 95% of wheels only needs 8mm clearance, built in 1000mah battery and integrated light.

I have recently had a set of wheels built with a shimano dynamo, it's excellent and wanted the same for my commute bike, but don't want the trouble of replacing the hub. This looks a great solution and can be transferred to different bikes.

I don't want a bottle dynamo :D

Any thoughts?
Currently planning my next adventure and trying to get over two operations in 6 months but still going strong!
email: newt@systems-engineer.info web: thedarknewt.blogspot.co.uk
Rhodrich

Re: Tiagra Sport dynamo

Post by Rhodrich »

USD 129.99?

At Rose Bikes, for just over £50, you can get a wheel made up with a proper Shimano dynamo hub, which you can then move around your bikes to your hearts content. Why pay more for something that's unproven?
DarkNewt

Post by DarkNewt »

£50 for the whole wheel or just the build? My bikes have different sized wheels so that wouldnt work :-) I still think that it's a good idea, claims same output as a hub dynamo with the benefit of being able to remove it.

With regards to unproven, thats why I am more interested if anyone has experiences of it!
Currently planning my next adventure and trying to get over two operations in 6 months but still going strong!
Rhodrich

Post by Rhodrich »

DarkNewt wrote:£50 for the whole wheel or just the build? My bikes have different sized wheels so that wouldnt work :-) I still think that it's a good idea, claims same output as a hub dynamo with the benefit of being able to remove it.

With regards to unproven, thats why I am more interested if anyone has experiences of it!

£52.44 for the complete wheel: http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/shim ... eel-716134

I take your point as to different sized wheels however
RickH

Re: Tigra (not Tiagra) Sport dynamo

Post by RickH »

DarkNewt wrote:Has anyone tried one of these?

Any thoughts?

Is it just me or is the website incredibly slow? (Maybe the server is powered by someone riding on rollers using one of their dynamos! :twisted: ) I gave up waiting for it to load!

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
DarkNewt

Post by DarkNewt »

Rhodrich wrote:
DarkNewt wrote:£50 for the whole wheel or just the build? My bikes have different sized wheels so that wouldnt work :-) I still think that it's a good idea, claims same output as a hub dynamo with the benefit of being able to remove it.

£52.44 for the complete wheel: http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/shim ... eel-716134

I take your point as to different sized wheels however

Not quite with the postage however it's a good price but I would imagine people have a lot of different ideas when they are getting wheels built I know I did and that wouldn't have fitted what I wanted.
DarkNewt

Post by DarkNewt »

RickH wrote:
DarkNewt wrote:Has anyone tried one of these?

Any thoughts?

Is it just me or is the website incredibly slow? (Maybe the server is powered by someone riding on rollers using one of their dynamos! :twisted: ) I gave up waiting for it to load!

Rick.

works fine for me :-)
DarkNewt

Post by DarkNewt »

Just watched the video, got to be better than a bottle dynamo but still not convinced as a hub replacement.
markfh

Post by markfh »

Having had a quick look at the pictures on the ibikeconsole web site, the dynamo part of the device bears a more than passing resemblance to a device I bought many years ago. That worked by having a toothed wheel linked to the bike wheel via a tab that engaged between the spokes of the front wheel and then using a toothed drive belt to drive the actual dynamo/alternator, the whole lot being encased within a plastic body which also formed the "bearings" for the toothed wheel. Although it worked well enough initially it did not last long as dust and grit got in and caused excessive wear till it failed - IIRC the belt lost some teeth and so longer turned the actual dynamo/alternator. Before I tried anything similar I would want to see some good evidence as to its likely service life both is dry and dusty and also wet conditions.

Update - I have just found the remains in one of my boxes of bits and it was a FER 2001. It used two drive belts via a intermediate drive gear shaft providing a step up gear and the failure mode was increasing friction in the actual dynamo/alternator leading to the failure of the second drive belt from the intermediate gear shaft to the dynamo/alternator.

Update II - I found a picture of the FER 2001 device Image

or if the image does not appear try this link http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speichendynamo#mediaviewer/File:Spoke_dynamo_Aufa_FER_2002.jpg
DarkNewt

Post by DarkNewt »

markfh wrote:Having had a quick look at the pictures on the ibikeconsole web site, the dynamo part of the device bears a more than passing resemblance to a device I bought many years ago. That worked by having a toothed wheel linked to the bike wheel via a tab that engaged between the spokes of the front wheel and then using a toothed drive belt to drive the actual dynamo/alternator, the whole lot being encased within a plastic body which also formed the "bearings" for the toothed wheel. Although it worked well enough initially it did not last long as dust and grit got in and caused excessive wear till it failed - IIRC the belt lost some teeth and so longer turned the actual dynamo/alternator. Before I tried anything similar I would want to see some good evidence as to its likely service life both is dry and dusty and also wet conditions.

Update - I have just found the remains in one of my boxes of bits and it was a FER 2001. It used two drive belts via a intermediate drive gear shaft providing a step up gear and the failure mode was increasing friction in the actual dynamo/alternator leading to the failure of the second drive belt from the intermediate gear shaft to the dynamo/alternator.

Update II - I found a picture of the FER 2001 device Image

or if the image does not appear try this link http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speichendynamo#mediaviewer/File:Spoke_dynamo_Aufa_FER_2002.jpg

Cheers, for the info - im hoping this one would be better, also thinking about the "cheaper option above" i wouldn't want to throw away the wheels on my boardman commute bike :-)
RickH

Post by RickH »

DarkNewt wrote:works fine for me :-)

It did work OK for me after a brief pause when I tried again. :)

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

DarkNewt wrote:...got to be better than a bottle dynamo but still not convinced as a hub replacement.

that is kind of what I think too.

I reckon where it is, you'll clatter it and it will break. And it won't even work that well when it is in one piece; it isn't a very good place to mount a light at the best of times.

If you are serious about wanting lights (but don't want the schlep of batteries) then just get another hub dynamo wheel.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Russell

Post by Russell »

If you want a high quality dynamo and not a hub dynamo then I can highly recommend a Sunup spoke dynamo. I have had one for some years now and I don't know it is there - so much so I never turn the lights off. It only fits a Shimano rear cassette hub but apart from that there are no downsides.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sunup-Eco-DS-1R-Bicycle-Spoke-Dynamo-hub-dynamo-dynohub-alternative-/271559721764

They do now make a more powerful one but unless you are charging phones and running lights at the same time it is not necessary.
DarkNewt

Post by DarkNewt »

Russell wrote:If you want a high quality dynamo and not a hub dynamo then I can highly recommend a Sunup spoke dynamo. I have had one for some years now and I don't know it is there - so much so I never turn the lights off. It only fits a Shimano rear cassette hub but apart from that there are no downsides.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sunup-Eco-DS-1R-Bicycle-Spoke-Dynamo-hub-dynamo-dynohub-alternative-/271559721764

They do now make a more powerful one but unless you are charging phones and running lights at the same time it is not necessary.

I have seen this, do you have pics on your bike?
Russell

Post by Russell »

do you have pics on your bike?

I don't but there are many on the web - anything in particular that you are interested in? Where are you based?

R