Which lubricant for my chain?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
SteveHunter

Which lubricant for my chain?

Post by SteveHunter »

I've done a search but can't find this on the forum, I'm sure there must be a thread covering this I just can't seem to find it.

I bought some expensive wax type stuff which is supposed to not attract any dirt, all that it did was make my chain stiff and noisy and it didn't matter how much I cleaned the chain I couldn't make it run quiet again so I have replaced the chain instead.

So what's the recommended lubricant to use on a road bike running a 10sp chain that won't make it stiff. My road bikes don't generally get ridden when it's raining, so you could probably say I am a fair weather rider.

Many Thanks
beardy

Re: Which lubricant for my chain?

Post by beardy »

There is absolutely no agreement on this subject. :lol:

You will find posts on this forum from people swearing on (and at) every lubricant that you can think of which makes me think that it doesnt matter so long as you have something on it.

There does seem to be agreement that cleaning has a greater effect but you have to be bothered to do it and the price of chains doesnt really make it that worthwhile.
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

The 'dry' wax-type lubricants ... don't lubricate very well. The 'wet' ones do lubricate well, but get dirty.

I rate the Muc-Off 'wet' lubes if it is lubrication you want.
I should coco.
ardeidae

Post by ardeidae »

Last edited by ardeidae on 12 Jun 2020, 4:03pm, edited 1 time in total.
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

GT 85 Teflon spray, 3 for 2 at that Halfords. Clean , and smells nice.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

A chum when asked exactly this question replied scornfully "what a question! Whatever's available of course." He has a point, if you're in the backside of nowhere with sticky gears. All the same, cackling over it for the next 100k was a bit much.

FWIW, I use TF2 all-weather. Seems efficient.

Oh, +1 for WD40 when you come home wet.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

SteveHunter wrote:I bought some expensive wax type stuff which is supposed to not attract any dirt, all that it did was make my chain stiff and noisy and it didn't matter how much I cleaned the chain I couldn't make it run quiet again so I have replaced the chain instead.
How odd.

I've been using White Lightning Clean Ride for years, and my chains are silent and not in the least bit stiff.

However ................. White Lightning CR has been undergoing some QA problems recently. The wax content seems to be varying between batches. Some have been very low on the wax particles, and some very high. Maybe you've been using WLCR with a high wax content. :?:

As for cleaning it off, you need to clean your chain thoroughly, then apply any lube you wish.
As for a noisy chain, I've NEVER suffered from one, not matter what lube I've used.
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

ardeidae wrote:There is a product that comes in a yellow and blue aerosol. It is called WD40. Get yourself a big tin of that. You will also need three small rags torn from an old cotton t-shirt, a tabloid newspaper, and a brick. Lean your bike against a wall, drive side out. Open your paper and tuck it up behind your derailleur then place your brick on the paper next to your rim to stop it blowing away. Hold the WD40 nozzle next to your chain as it exits the derailleur and spray the entire chain as you turn the pedal slowly backwards with your other hand. Give it a few more turns to allow the oil to penetrate then hold your first rag round your chain and keep turning and changing position of your rag to get as much dirt off as possible. Repeat spray and wipe with second clean rag. Repeat and finish with third rag. Your chain should be spiffing by now. If you must believe the old wives tales, you could finish with aerosol TF2. I have always found WD40 to be excellent.

Skip the WD40(it's a mucky lube)and go straight to the TF2 aerosol spray,apply after a ride not before,and let it dry it'll run much cleaner not attracting much road dirt and grit.
When the chain begins to look cruddy clean it in White Spirit in a chain scrubber,or remove the chain and shake it in a jam jar or wide mouthed drinks bottle with a secure lid.
The WS can then left to settle in the jar and reused in a second jam jar next time you clean the chain.
The chain once cleaned,any excess WS can wiped off and left to dry a little before the TF2 is applied.
But the trick to keep the chain as clean as possible is to apply after a ride not before.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote:
SteveHunter wrote:I bought some expensive wax type stuff which is supposed to not attract any dirt, all that it did was make my chain stiff and noisy and it didn't matter how much I cleaned the chain I couldn't make it run quiet again so I have replaced the chain instead.
How odd.

Well it's not that odd,a few people have tried WL with the same results as Steve,me included,and moved on to 'wet' lubes for the same reasons.
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

It's designed to coat your chain in wax. This, it does well. (providing the "recipe" is correct)

How it makes a chain noisy by coating all the moving parts with soft wax, I haven't a clue.
Seems very odd to me.

It makes mine quieter.
Mick F. Cornwall
mjr

Post by mjr »

I didn't get on with wax either. I wonder if the local silt is particularly bad for it, sticking to the wax which then falls off.... or if I have one of the "low wax" bottles.

I use GT 85 to clean and TF2 liquid to lubricate.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote:It's designed to coat your chain in wax. This, it does well. (providing the "recipe" is correct)

How it makes a chain noisy by coating all the moving parts with soft wax, I haven't a clue.
Seems very odd to me.

It makes mine quieter.

Yeah but not for long,we've been through this before,you load it up with wax,ride 50 or so miles and it sounds like a bag of spanners being rattled,which is OK if you're willing to keep applying it at that rate/mileage.
Many folks aren't.
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mine does NOT sound like a bag of spanners.
For instance, I've done LEJOG and Back using it. I only re-applied each morning, and that was only a drizzle. 80 to 100mile days.

Also, I did a Grand Tour - 1,400miles in three weeks but with days off - again, only applied each morning and some days it heaved with rain.
No bag of spanners at all. :lol:
Goodness knows how many miles I've done with CR. I may work it out some day.

At the moment, I'm using WL Epic Ride and have done for a few months.
I was given some bottles as a free gift from WL USA for raising the subject of the CR being variable. We swapped a few emails about it. ER is a thin oil and needs more application than the CR IMHO. It washes off in heavy rain, and the chain is sort of "mechanical" in sound. It's filthy in use and makes your fingers black if you touch the chain. :shock:

Give me a few weeks more, and I'll be writing a critique of the stuff compared to WL CR.
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

We'll have to agree to differ,one man's 'mechanical sound' is another's 'bag o spanners'

Anyway tried a few,
WL too,
and settled with TF2.
:D
W H Auden
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

I've used Finish Line dry for that purpose. I acquired a gallon of the stuff a decade ago so I've had little choice but to use it since :lol: It's actually pretty good but it washes off on long wet rides. For lots of wet riding you'd need a wet lube.