Can you get attachable side bars for road drop bars?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mitsobar

Can you get attachable side bars for road drop bars?

Post by Mitsobar »

As in bar ends that extend parallel to the bar not perpendicular so you can also have a standard flat bar riding position on your drop bars. I know the attachment would be a bit awkward but has it been done?

I have tried numerous google word combinations but have not found anything.

Thanks
SteveHunter

Re: Can you get attachable side bars for road drop bars?

Post by SteveHunter »

Wouldn't they be in the way when riding on the hoods. They would be in my way as they are exactly where the heel of my hand would be.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

a fundamental problem with what you propose is that standard dropped bars are 24mm diameter and standard flat bars (and therefore nearly all bar ends/attachments) are 22.2mm dia. The upshot of this is that dropped bar controls can usually be fitted to a narrower bar but flat bar controls, bar ends etc don't usually fit dropped bars at all.

So a fairly straightforward way of getting the functionality you want is to fit dropped bar extensions to a flat bar, along with other bar ends etc to give you the other positions you want. The latter can be moved out of the way when you are not using them, I would think.

There are quite a few different bar ends here;

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/bar-ends-dept354_pg1/#page=all

which might give you a few ideas.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RonK

Post by RonK »

Maybe, maybe not...but you can get detachable drops for flat bars.

Look for Origin8 drop ends.
The theory is simple: a) cycling is inherently fun, and b) the less weight you carry, the more fun it is.

Tour Journals, Articles and Blog: Whispering Wheels
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

To my mind, that system linked above gets you the worst of both worlds.
The flat 'bars would be in the way, and the drops in the way of the flats.

A better system would surely be one that you could change the 'bars easily from one system to the other ................. or have two bikes.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mitsobar

Post by Mitsobar »

So this turned out to be a bust.

Ive looked at mounting a second stem/bar for an extra option but that was impractical also.

Now im looking at swept back bars that can mount bar end shifters and road levers as an option that doesn't require total replacement of components.

Ive seen a few mustache bars but not sure if the right angle of the hold position is too much. Thoughts on these?.

The Nitto Albatross look quite good for a swept option that mount bar end shifters but not brake levers.
Anyone know of some more swept back options I could look at?

Thanks guys/gals.
photobike

Post by photobike »

http://sheldonbrown.com/org/thorn/ is Sheldon Brown's take on this :D
Bikefayre

Post by Bikefayre »

sjscycles.co.uk have the answer-Origin8 Pro-pulsion Road Ends - Drop Bar Bar Ends - Black which means you would fit straight bars to your bike first and than these at the end, see the pictures on this site to see how it's done. It's the only way to do it properly.
nez

Post by nez »

Dr Doolittle springs to mind!
mjr

Post by mjr »

Look at Soma Fabrications and Velo Orange. They do some cool bars, including rarities like 22.2mm drops sometimes. I've a set of VO Montmartre bars on one bike, flipped, and another has simple North Roads. When did flat and drop become the only choices? :(
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Ant

Post by Ant »

Origin8 drop bar ends on flats bars is a good solution. I have a pair in the garage which I bought to convert a flat bar to drops. Now redundant as replaced that bike with one with drops. As it goes, the Origin8's were a better position for me than the drop bars that replaced them as they are realtively short reach and shallow drop. Drop me a PM if you want them. Think they cost me a tenner....
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

photobike wrote:http://sheldonbrown.com/org/thorn/ is Sheldon Brown's take on this :D

I love that solution ;)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.