Dynamo headlights - conundrum

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
tim-b

Re: Dynamo headlights - conundrum

Post by tim-b »

Hi

My bag is relatively small (Carradice Super-C Audax) and it doesn't cause a problem. You can probably see that the body of my more bulky lamp is about level with the top of the Bagman, and you could drop it lower to avoid the bag if it became a problem

Belt and braces though, I cut a rectangle of corraboard (a plastic corrugated card used for estate agents signs) the internal width of the bag and lined the bag from front top edge to back top edge with the corrugations running across. It's not attached in any way and has little effect on space

The lights are attached using P-clips packed out with rubber car fuel pipe (less slippage). I think that I used P-clips from spare seatstay lamp brackets
Try your local motor factor, you should be able to get a short length of pipe cut off their reel and a few clips for a couple of quid. The clips are available in nylon or plated-steel with a rubber(?) sleeve

Regards
tim-b
IMG_2607 - Copy.JPG
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

honesty wrote:Wow. Excellent. P clips was actually my first idea but I was concerned the bag would twist the light around when mounted. Do you find that happening?

if this were to happen, I'd suggest making some 'L' shaped brackets such that the light would hang straight even when the P-clips are loose. Provided the assembly is then jiggled vertically (rather than front to back) the light should stay put a little better.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rhodrich

Post by Rhodrich »

Admittedly not easy to see in this picture, which is the only one I've got knocking about of my bike, but I've got a rack mounted lamp (Philips Saferide) mounted to my rear mudguard, using a corner brace (bent at slightly more than 90 degrees), and a strip of meccano like metal across the back rivetted to this, to which the lamp bolts onto. The lamp is rock solid, and nicely clears the bagman.

Rhodrich

Post by Rhodrich »

I've had a couple of requests for more photo's, so here they are:

MikeF

Post by MikeF »

honesty wrote: Finally I want to run a tail light but it needs to mount on the back of a carridice bagman (there's a nice looking Hebie universal light mount that looks to do this) and the supernova tail light is a sexy little thing.
Is there any particular reason it needs to be mounted there? How about a Secula plus on the seat stay or mudguard
http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/b--m-secula-plus-back-light-for-mounting-on-seat-stay-or-seat-post/aid:709311
http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/b--m-secula-plus-back-light-can-be-mounted-on-mudguards/aid:709307
or this Trelock for stay or mudguard?
http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/trel ... aid:792947
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
honesty

Post by honesty »

MikeF wrote:
honesty wrote: Finally I want to run a tail light but it needs to mount on the back of a carridice bagman (there's a nice looking Hebie universal light mount that looks to do this) and the supernova tail light is a sexy little thing.
Is there any particular reason it needs to be mounted there? How about a Secula plus on the seat stay or mudguard
http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/b--m-secula-plus-back-light-for-mounting-on-seat-stay-or-seat-post/aid:709311
http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/b--m-secula-plus-back-light-can-be-mounted-on-mudguards/aid:709307
or this Trelock for stay or mudguard?
http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/trel ... aid:792947

I have a trelock 820 on my other bike and it is excellent (apart from not having an off switch) but I'm not happy with mounting a light like that for 3 (ish) reasons.
1. I'm not sure I have enough space between mudguard and tyre currently and I don't think I have enough adjustment on the stays after cutting them down to make the space.
2. I don't have a work space other than the dining room table and don't really have the tools to correctly drill the guard and may bodge job it which I really don't want to do.
3. I rather like the idea of the light popping up there and I can deal with cable ties.

Saying all that I've been discussing it with SJS and have pretty much come to the conclusion that whilst I may take the bagman off now and again, practically I never really need to. Therefore the p clips solution and rack mounting light seems to be the best solution. Now they're just trying to warn me off the supernova triple to a stvzo compliant light as the triple is too bright....
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Despite my previous comment, I think your preferred position for the light is a good choice from a visibility aspect.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

I really like it and just have to figure out how to make a bracket!
jamesbradbury

Post by jamesbradbury »

I mounted a (battery) Toplight on my Bagman using an old painting tray and a bit of bodging. Doesn't look as neat as the P-clips, but it works.
honesty

Post by honesty »

Dynamo parts turned up from SJS in a big box today. Photos to follow. I may have ignored my own initial post as I'm buying on a cyclescheme voucher and gone a bit over budget...
honesty

Post by honesty »

Photos as promised. Rear light, with and without bag.
WP_20150128_15_12_46_Pro.jpg

WP_20150128_15_13_36_Pro.jpg

So initial thoughts. The SON delux hub is beautiful, light, smooth, and a pain in the bum compared to the Shimano ones to wire in (ok its not hard at all but the little plugs on the Shimano ones are a level of simplicity again). the wires that are molded into the Edelux front and rear lights are the coax SON type ones which are a pain to strip if all you have is a pair of pliers. I over stripped the first time and took out the internal sheath as well. Ended up doing it with an extremely sharp craft knife and a cutting board. The Edelux 2 I have not been out at night, but at dawn was definitely bright enough. Its well made and looks brilliant as well. Compared to the luxos on the other bike it feels stronger (though i am worried about breaking the glass front!) my only reservation is the crappy plastic ring used as the switch. It looks and feels cheap compared to the rest of the light. As I'm leaving it on the whole time it's not a big thing though! Finally new SON rear light is tiny, metal and reassuringly weighty, and bright as anything, though goes rather dull when stopped.
PH

Post by PH »

honesty wrote:my only reservation is the crappy plastic ring used as the switch. It looks and feels cheap compared to the rest of the light.

You can take the switch ring off altogether and the light will operate in sensor mode. I'm not sure how you'd break it, but if you did it wouldn't harm the light, it isn't connected to anything, just uses a magnet to move the internal switch. IMO it adds to the cleverness of the light.
honesty

Post by honesty »

PH wrote:
honesty wrote:my only reservation is the crappy plastic ring used as the switch. It looks and feels cheap compared to the rest of the light.

You can take the switch ring off altogether and the light will operate in sensor mode. I'm not sure how you'd break it, but if you did it wouldn't harm the light, it isn't connected to anything, just uses a magnet to move the internal switch. IMO it adds to the cleverness of the light.

Did not know that, thanks. Useful to know!